3DCoat Forums

Hi! Im a new user here :) I got a question...

Funtaman

Hi "3d coat folks"! Im a new user here and I got a question I hope you can help me with.

(Im in the voxels room)

I'm having this problem when I use the airbrush tool, it is skipping the lines.

Fast or slow strokes, inverted or not, its the same. And I can't "repair" the inbetween where -

the line has skipped, even with other tools.. well I can, but then it get messed up.

If I try to make up the mistake, by drawing with

the airbrush tool (over it)..I can't fix it.

Its like a bump under the skin I can't get rid off :) heh

Im using:

Windows 7,

a tablet, Wacom Intuos pro with latest driver (6.3.8-4)

and 3D coat 4.1 - 64bit DirectX with cuda

I got enough RAM and proscess power + Gfx card.

By the way, I'm hooked on this software.

• Advanced Member

Sometimes this crops up in some updates to 3D Coat, I've noticed.  I'll be sculpting the way I normally do and then install an update and go at it again, only to find that this problem cropped up.  You can try deleting the Options_Presets.xml under Libraries/Documents/3D-CoatV[#].  When you open 3D Coat, it will re-create that file.  Alternatively, try using one of these, http://3d-coat.com/download/older-version/, but install it in a separate directory from the one you've been using, so you can load either one.

• Reputable Contributor

Sometimes this crops up in some updates to 3D Coat, I've noticed.  I'll be sculpting the way I normally do and then install an update and go at it again, only to find that this problem cropped up.  You can try deleting the Options_Presets.xml under Libraries/Documents/3D-CoatV[#].  When you open 3D Coat, it will re-create that file.  Alternatively, try using one of these, http://3d-coat.com/download/older-version/, but install it in a separate directory from the one you've been using, so you can load either one.

Options_Presets.xml or Options.xml?

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I've had some wonky issues with things in the UI not working like it is supposed to, and deleting the Options_windows.xml file solved the problem once or twice. So, that's always a good tip to keep under your hat, if something like that happens for you.

Thanks for the fast responses to this question. I have tried what you suggested, but still not working.. (haven't tried to install older version yet)

Thou I have seen the airbrush look better when the brush size is much bigger -

but maybe I have overlooked it - looks like it don't like a small resolution to paint on.

...but Im still not sure if I handle the files in the right place.

my files are under "Users/myname/my documents/3D-CoatV4".

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the fast responses to this question. I have tried what you suggested, but still not working.. (haven't tried to install older version yet)

Thou I have seen the airbrush look better when the brush size is much bigger -

but maybe I have overlooked it - looks like it don't like a small resolution to paint on.

...but Im still not sure if I handle the files in the right place.

my files are under "Users/myname/my documents/3D-CoatV4".

Can you do a screen recording where you try to do the same thing on the default Human figure (from the Splash Screen > Voxel Sculpt menu)? I'm curious to see what setting you have selected. Wonder if SPACING is checked in the Brush Options panel...and if so, how much. There are ton of free screen recording software apps. Jing is a good one that will let you upload to their site for free (screencast.com). It really helps when you have tricky issues. If we can't help, that recording will be gold for Andrew (support@3d-coat.com).

• Reputable Contributor

I would e-mail that to Andrew (support@3d.coat.com) and put the link to the video in it. Should not be doing that....allow I would suggest using a different brush draw mode in the E-Panel

I mean "although"....not allow :)

I would e-mail that to Andrew (support@3d.coat.com) and put the link to the video in it. Should not be doing that....allow I would suggest using a different brush draw mode in the E-Panel

I mean "although"....not allow :)

ok, I see - does not sound good heh - but ya, sounds like a good idea. Email send.

I normally use number two from the left in the "E-brush panel"

I thank you for helping me out so far.

Edited by Funtaman

• Reputable Contributor

Did a little test on my end and it's working great.

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B0RX9jd4sk5RTllpZktUNkNkbmM

No stutters at all. What build are you using? The latest one will always be found on this page:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10395&page=1

Close the app > Go to MyDocs/3D Coat V4 and delete the Options.XML file. Sometimes that gets a little buggered up and can cause bug-like behavior. And see if it is still cause the problem.

• Reputable Contributor

If it is still doing it after that, go to the VOXEL menu and uncheck USE CUDA. See if that helps. Sometimes it might be a glitch in your CUDA driver or just an issue with CUDA altogether. If it still doesn't help, look at the DEPTH slider in the Toolbar (upper UI). Just to the left of it, you see a little brush icon. Hover over that and you should see an option to EDIT CURVES. It should look like this. Although you can adjust it with an S-Curve or something, if you wish.

140476849621.jpg

140476853662.jpg

• Advanced Member

I notice in the videos there's a little skip/delay before the brush stops working.  Looks like a resource issue to me, or perhaps interference with a wireless mouse?  Just curious.  That's not the problem I had experienced every so often.  I'll literally be trying to move part of a sculpture and it will introduce bulges in weird areas it shouldn't affect, at all.  I need to remember to record a video when it happens, so that I can show Andrew.  It's usually when I'm in a hurry or not thinking about it.

• Contributor

I could confrim that aswell.

Small brush radius and low resolution causes that problem.

This problem causes nearly with every tool like Clay, Build and Extrude.

@AbnRanger: Im using the latest build 4.1.04A - but your using the beta - maybe I should try that too.

I got CUDA turned on :)

by the way - its the same problem if I use the mouse or change to pen pressure/curves.

@alvordr: very interesting - I do have a wireless keyboard...tnx

@Malo: I see - thanks for your reply.

- I was thinking of uninstalling - and install the beta...

Edited by Funtaman

• Reputable Contributor

Have you chosen spacing for your brush alpha in the brush options panels.

Top stroke using 5% spacing.

Bottom stroke no spacing selected.

Airbrush used in voxel mode.

I use spacing on ever brush alpha. I use 5% to 10% spacing depending upon the brush alpha.

post-518-0-35061800-1404776332_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

@AbnRanger: Im using the latest build 4.1.04A - but your using the beta - maybe I should try that too.

I got CUDA turned on :)

by the way - its the same problem if I use the mouse or change to pen pressure/curves.

@alvordr: very interesting - I do have a wireless keyboard...tnx

@Malo: I see - thanks for your reply.

- I was thinking of uninstalling - and install the beta...

Confirmed that it does happen on low res models. If you press a bit harder on your stylus, then the problem goes away. If you increase the resolution, it also goes away...and no pressure needed. I think it's just the light pressure with such a small, sharp draw mode.makes it do that. But maybe Andrew could tweak it.

140477788691.jpg

140477790305.jpg

• Contributor

Digman test this please.

Start in Voxel Mode with the middle Sphere.

Choose one of the Sculpting Tools like Clay or Airbrush, that makes no difference.

Set the brush radius to 2 or less, Falloff 0, Depth 100 and Smoothing to 20.

Start Sculpting and you see that problem.

Here is a picture if i miss something.

post-24378-0-68728200-1404778222_thumb.j

This causes with nearly every Tool, more or less.

Not sure if you could call that a bug.

If you set the resolution one stage higher, the problem is gone.

@AbnRanger: your right about that :) but sometimes you need to make details with a lighter touch, you know.

But I guess I can increase the res another few times.. bringing the beast to its knees (sry. being sarcastic) -

see what it can take before it break :D. Still I can't see why this is happening.

I could tweek my "wacom pen" pressure sensitivity too.

..but Im happy that Im not the only one that seems to experience this.

@Digman: yes, Iv tried different space settings, thanks for your reply.

@Malo: yes, your right - we have pin pointed some of the problem toghether here I guess - its about "too low" resolution and faint pressure with the pen? Thou the problem is still here if I use the mouse on low res.

I appreciate you help here guys.

Edited by Funtaman

• Reputable Contributor

Digman test this please.

Start in Voxel Mode with the middle Sphere.

Choose one of the Sculpting Tools like Clay or Airbrush, that makes no difference.

Set the brush radius to 2 or less, Falloff 0, Depth 100 and Smoothing to 20.

Start Sculpting and you see that problem.

Here is a picture if i miss something.

attachicon.gifBug.jpg

This causes with nearly every Tool, more or less.

Not sure if you could call that a bug.

If you set the resolution one stage higher, the problem is gone.

Yes indeed it is voxel resolution but I would not call it a problem or a bug... explained below which you know already but putting it here for others.

Voxel are much closer to 2D pixels than polygons except they are 3D cube pixels. Imagine trying to paint a detailed eye on a portrait using only a 320x240 image. Is it the problem of the brush or is the problem of not having enough image resolution.  There are not enough 3D cube pixels to get even surface sculpting using a small brush radius. Increase the resolution of a 2D image and the problem of painting a detail eye goes away as well. The same goes for voxels.

Maybe Andrew could tweak it so it does not skip but still on a low voxel resolution object a small brush radius stroke will not look nice and even.

I start all my head portraits on the 15,000 voxel sphere using larger radius brushes and getting smaller as I move up in voxel resolution.

Edited by digman

I've bin confirmed that the solution to this is to make a higher resolution.

My mind is settled and both, still struggling by trying to understanding the logic. I understand the simple examples that compare it with 2D-pixels and sound like the best way to describe it, but the difference is, that you don't get "skipping lines" by drawing a picture with a consisting line, no matter the resolution might be. So there must be a more complicated answer to this on a deeper technical level.

I'm not asking for a complicated answer and maybe I don't need further explaining. I'm sure somethings take time to learn and understand. Just want to express this.

I appreciate the help - time to create some interesting stuff :)

• Reputable Contributor

Personally, I rarely use that draw mode. It's too narrow by nature. I switch to it when I'm creating wrinkles are sharp creases, but then I realize that the best tools for that job is in Surface mode. Voxels are capable of doing to great sculpting work, if you have a beefy PC that can handle the extra demand that dense Voxels objects places on it. Caching non-active layers really lightens your memory load/footprint, but Andrew countered that issue altogether by focusing heavily on the Sculpting tools in Surface mode. That's where 3D Coat's sculpting prowess now lays. Voxels are still superior in some things....like Boolean type operations. MUCH quicker and easier to do with Voxels. Surface mode is finicky with booleans and can take a lot longer to calculate. Nothing more frustrating than to be forced to wait several minutes (sometimes...not always) for 3D coat to try and perform a boolean operation....only to be given a self-intersection warning and it doesn't complete it.

With Voxels, merges are fast and without hassle. What I often do is hit the W key to toggle wireframe on, so I can see for myself, just how dense a model really is. 5million polys may sound like a lot, but for a whole character, it's really on the low side. But with LiveClay, you don't need to jack up the poly count for the whole body...just in the local areas, where you know you need it. Voxels are also a good platform for roughing out forms and the early stages of a sculpt...but once you know you aren't going to need any Voxel-specific tools, you will likely want to switch to Surface mode and do the rest of your sculpting there...without returning to voxels (if you do any dynamic subdivision with LiveClay, it will be lost when/if you switch to Voxels).

Understanding Voxel Sculpting:

This one is a lengthy overview of sculpting in 3D Coat, but it's a good one:

• Like 1

@Carlosan: thanks for your reply.

@AbnRanger: Thanks for telling about your experiences, awesome videos! I feel like a sponge :)

I will favorite them so I don't forget them.

Edited by Funtaman