3DCoat Forums

Performance problems

Andrew Shpagin

Write about performance problems there

While I find the new tools to be fun they are quite slow on my system. I'm not sure if it's the same for everybody but I'm noticing that when I do simple things like use the move tool in Volumetric mode my FPS drops down to about 5 when normally it's around 70-80 for other functions of the program. I will say that generally the slow down is when I have a larger brush size but for doing things like shaping a sphere to form a head or moving large sections of the model it's needed but kind of a bummer when it only works very slow. I get similar performance on both the DirectX and OpenGL versions.

I have a Geforce 9600 gt (512mb ddr3) with 2 gigs of ddr2 ram on AMD 64 X2 4400+ system.

Is anybody else getting this much of a performance hit when using the new tools?

(sorry if I should've posted this in another thread)

Just about everything is nice and speedy on my desktop (see signature).

BTW you've got an extra letter in your last name. :P

Hmm, maybe it's a ram issue on my pc. I'll have to throw another gig in when I get the time.

Haha, yeah i was noticing our names are fairly similar. Good thing you didn't go with pnolan as your username :D

• Advanced Member

After a while of sculpting (rough to estimate i think 30 to 45 mins perhaps) 3dcoat becomes really incredibly slow. Its alot like what people say where 3dcoat becomes so slow brushes lag behind the mouse. Its not comparable to when i started sculpting (which is realtime). It has nothing to do with the size of the sculpt or the brush i use. It happens on both big and small meshes and when its slow its slow with all tools not just one. When i close 3dcoat and restart it it is ok again but i do have the impression it happens "faster" during the next fresh session. It this a memory issue? I use all tools all the time so i cant really say i use one tool more or that it seems to appear with one specific tool.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Hi,I'm trying to sculpt a test character from the base sphere.

All goes fine,the tool is improved a lot,move tool is much better now(thank you),there are some slowdown but for now I think it can be acceptable.

The problem is that I have to go up in resolution.

From the base sphere I had to go up one time,now I'm at 2.6 millions triangles as show in the statistics.

With this resolution is impossible doing hands and feet details,and the head is a little coarse.

I think I need one more level of resolution to do a good smooth model,I'm not trying going to pores level of detail,only to be able to have medium frequency details.

Trying to go up 3dcoat crashes,I'm on vista 32,with 3 giga flag enabled(I have 4 giga of ram,quad core ).

I hope we can do a little up in resolution,as now a full character can't be done(someone has some trick for this?)

Bye

Rendering Just Makes Sculpture Fade Away

Andrew:

On my very low powered Compaq laptop, (32 bit, dual core, 128 megs of shared memory, 1 gig RAM), pressing "Render" just makes everything gradually fade away.

Strange, because as of the October 7, 2008 release, everything on the volumetric side seems to work faster and better than I ever expected it would.

I'm stumped.

Psmith

• Advanced Member

Just wanted to say that with the previous release it was really slow on the system at work which has better specs then my home pc. (from the top of my head it also has a quadro card). But with the latest version it zooms at work just as fast (a bit faster in fact) as it does at home. So you definately fixed "it". Whatever it was. :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member
After a while of sculpting (rough to estimate i think 30 to 45 mins perhaps) 3dcoat becomes really incredibly slow. Its alot like what people say where 3dcoat becomes so slow brushes lag behind the mouse. Its not comparable to when i started sculpting (which is realtime). It has nothing to do with the size of the sculpt or the brush i use. It happens on both big and small meshes and when its slow its slow with all tools not just one. When i close 3dcoat and restart it it is ok again but i do have the impression it happens "faster" during the next fresh session. It this a memory issue? I use all tools all the time so i cant really say i use one tool more or that it seems to appear with one specific tool.

3dioot

Just wanted to say i still have this problem. If you need more info on something or i should try something just shoot and ill make it happen/try it. Its not cool to have to restart 3dcoat after a while when your having fun. ;)

3dioot

Rendering Just Makes Sculpture Fade Away

Andrew:

On my very low powered Compaq laptop, (32 bit, dual core, 128 megs of shared memory, 1 gig RAM), pressing "Render" just makes everything gradually fade away.

Strange, because as of the October 7, 2008 release, everything on the volumetric side seems to work faster and better than I ever expected it would.

I'm stumped.

Psmith

Psmith, I'm also having this issue... I've got a 4800+, 2gigs ram, and 7900gtx on vista64... Whenever I hit render, for a slight second it displays a silhouette of the image, then it degrades to nothing but black (dark grey?). Nice to see I'm not the only one seeing this!

Can confirm. On latest build (the one that has multicore as a checkbox) the speed is again good. Heck, even great. Really responsive.

But when I turn shadows on, it slows down to a crawl. Is this because of the little memory I have on my display adapter? It's Pny QuadroFX 560 with 128 megs. I'm running two 1550*1024 (or thereabouts) screens with it.

Not a big deal for me since I can do without shadows. But if it is something that can be fixed...

Tools are getting better by the day. =)

• 2 weeks later...

great improvement with multicore, thanx andrew

just did a test and it seems that with the latest version 32, increase resolution takes full adventage of multiple cores, on quad system all 4 gets a pike and processor is at 100%

i hope that the same can be done for big brushes as its the only thing where its still gets very slow, but i checked and got only 50% of total processor, so if that could be shared

brushing could still improve

post-841-1224697986_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I first tried 42 and the performance was 100fps while sculpting at 15mil

now on 43 and above, I get about 20 fps and the brushes are slow

plllzzz fix :)

also in either revision I see no difference in performance whether multicore or cuda is off or on

Q6600 @ 2.4

8GB RAM

Vista Home Premium 64bit

8800GT 512