3DCoat Forums

Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

Koray

• Advanced Member

Watched ZB 2023.1 update live stream. From the half wit new features I'm pretty sure the devs with actual ideas are not working on zb anymore. Not a single regular user will pay for updates like those.

A quality of life sweep is needed for 3dcoat rather than vdm support.

If things with companies continue like this, AI will win the market in my opinion.

Cheers, 

How much are Pilgway paying Pixologic/Maxon to be their marketing team? It seems like they are activly trying to drive their long time customers away. If someone had bought the perpetual upgrade to ZBrush 2023, they don't even get the new features in 2023.1? That's terrible.
But in the same week 3D Coat 2023 releases, and with an upgrade price from 2022 that costs less than 2 months of rental for ZBrush. That's going to attract attention, and it should.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, SBMongoose said:

If someone had bought the perpetual upgrade to ZBrush 2023, they don't even get the new features in 2023.1? That's terrible.

Really *****!!?? I thought they'd get every update free for one year...or at least maybe till v2024. Thats both sad and funny :D

Edit: I can personally confirm that I got every new release of 3DCoat for exactly one year of my sub. But I also can confirm that the bugs that bother me were fixed on the other years release which is just my luck I guess :D  :D

Edited by Koray

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, SBMongoose said:

How much are Pilgway paying Pixologic/Maxon to be their marketing team? It seems like they are activly trying to drive their long time customers away. If someone had bought the perpetual upgrade to ZBrush 2023, they don't even get the new features in 2023.1? That's terrible.
But in the same week 3D Coat 2023 releases, and with an upgrade price from 2022 that costs less than 2 months of rental for ZBrush. That's going to attract attention, and it should.

i have zbrush 2023 and i get free updates until 2.2.2024 ...

so you've got a perpetual license for ZBrush 2023, and you have got all the new features announced in last nights presentation that they've brought in, not just bug fixes and modifications to existing features? Because Maxon have stated otherwise on ZBrush Central. But if they are giving that to perpetual users of 2023 then that's great, and I realy hope that they are!
image.thumb.png.a417a48d17e8eedbb1e2ba2224de9652.png

12 minutes ago, SBMongoose said:

so you've got a perpetual license for ZBrush 2023, and you have got all the new features announced in last nights presentation that they've brought in, not just bug fixes and modifications to existing features? Because Maxon have stated otherwise on ZBrush Central. But if they are giving that to perpetual users of 2023 then that's great, and I realy hope that they are!

Nope, it's exactly as described in your post, new features only for subscribers.

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Koray said:

Watched ZB 2023.1 update live stream. From the half wit new features I'm pretty sure the devs with actual ideas are not working on zb anymore. Not a single regular user will pay for updates like those.

A quality of life sweep is needed for 3dcoat rather than vdm support.

If things with companies continue like this, AI will win the market in my opinion.

Cheers, 

I have a feeling AI will win the market anyway in digital art industry, but I am not a tech person or AI developer, it's just a feeling.  If AI can automate 80%-90% of the crafting process, the current sculpting apps will only be needed for finishing the final touches.  The future is unknown, the fun of crafting digital art will still exist, just like doing oil painting nowadays.  

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, animk said:

I have a feeling AI will win the market anyway in digital art industry, but I am not a tech person or AI developer, it's just a feeling.  If AI can automate 80%-90% of the crafting process, the current sculpting apps will only be needed for finishing the final touches.  The future is unknown, the fun of crafting digital art will still exist, just like doing oil painting nowadays.  

It will all come down to the ease of use and limitations. If I were young and wanted to make a nice looking Robot, I probably would choose typing a few words and get results in minutes instead of spending a lifetime learning and practicing 3DCoat, Blender, PS etc and make one in much longer time. I hope they dont choose the first :)

I wish there were no polycount limitations for anything at all meaning we wouldnt have to deal with uvs, maps and other technical bs etc and just create.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 3/30/2023 at 11:11 PM, SBMongoose said:

nah we dont get the proxy pose tool lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 4/1/2023 at 9:27 PM, Andrew Shpagin said:

3DCoat is not so far from this. We seriously researching human-quality retopology even for very dense scenes. That will solve all retopo and UV stuff.

This is great news, thank you very much! also for this.:good::clapping:

I'll add some personal considerations. I am not a programmer, but I always thought that AI could successfully apply to certain routines in the 3D world. For example, retopology, perhaps AI can work better on an already digitized model, which contains ready-made data and information, by its nature, than raster images or reality.
Perhaps we will also get to a kind of real-time correction of the to the topology, while you using the traditional polygonal/subd modeling techniques, which however although fantastic in some ways, are so difficult to learn and tiring and tedious to apply.
It is not possible that the future is classic subd modeling...it is inconceivable that this will not evolve with new tools or completely new techniques taking its place, eliminating the defects and leaving the merits intact.

No one out there has yet invented a complete new modeling paradigm for the curved surfaces of objects like real cars. Editable ''grids'' remain the most ingenious thing ever invented, perhaps irreplaceable even in the future.
If you can model a real car with a generic art software you can model anything existing or invented...you have complete freedom over the shape. The planar hard surface has already been conquered, there are several ways to make beautiful models.
It's just a question of easing the thousands of topological rules of the subds and the slowness of having to connect hundreds of vertices correctly, every time you do complicated operations....This effort and this waste of time, from a technological evolution point of view , it is inconceivable for the future, because the main nature of technology is automation, so make everything easier and simpler for the user....SubD are still great but they are not simple. Of course I forgot the nurbs, even with those you create curved surfaces, but their main flaw is rigidity. It's like working with steel plates, you can cut and weld them but they are not flexible. In future even nurbs are not the ideal solution for concept designers. The polygonal meshes, on the other hand, are bushes of barbed wire.

Edited by rubeos
edit