3DCoat Forums

Constant Crushes after 2023.16 update

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

Hi guys, so Im writing this message because after 2023.16 version Im experiencing constant crushes and freezes, but its only happening when Im using: Sphere tool, with Voxel Hide and Split (crushes occur only when Im using my keyboard shortcuts (I have set Z,X,C,V,B,A for strokes modes (rectangular, Ngon, Sphere, Curves, and so on, and 1,2,3,4 for move, sphere, vox hide, split etc....) Im using 3dcoat with this worklfow for a pretty long time, so Im quite fast with this, so the faster I press those keyboardshortcuts the faster the crushes occur.... another "but" - when Im using different workflows (for example only painting with 2d paint tool and primitves tool - its fine, no crushes at all) .... 
another thing sometimes 3dcoat freezes in a way that it wont let me choose different tool or different stroke mode with keyboardshortcut, but I can open a menu and choose it, then it unfreezes,  (so only 2023.16 version is stable for me, I was waiting for the bug to disapper with newest version but it just didn't happen, and now I could really take advantage of a live boolean tool :) ) cheers ! and thanks for assistance :)

Edited by rosikowski

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Oleg Shapov was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

2 hours ago, rosikowski said:

Hi guys, so Im writing this message because after 2023.16 version Im experiencing constant crushes and freezes

Hello! Please send a crash report using the feedback form that opens immediately after the crash. If you can give a list of steps so that you can repeat the crash, it will be even better.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

31 minutes ago, rosikowski said:

ok I will record the screen and repeat the process leading to a crash, (I cant send you crash report becouse it just closes without any window pop-up, or freezes for a long long time)

Can you try to open the app and test an empty scene with something from the Splash Screen? If it doesn't crash, then it points to the file possibly being corrupted. In which case, you should send the file to support@pilgway.com, so they can try to test it on their end and see what the problem is.

If it crashes even with a simple test scene/object from the splash screen, then there is something corrupted with the install or an xml file in the MY DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT directory. If that is the case, give that directory a temporary name and Install 3DCoat again > launch the app. It will create a new folder in that directory. If it stops crashing after that, then yes, it was either the install or a bad file.

• Like 2

(Bare in mind that when Im using 2d paint tool with brushes stroke mode, there are no crashes !, its only happening with rectangular/N-gon stroke mode, and when Im using numbers on my keyboard, maybe hotkey file is corrupted ? (Im attaching it in this post)... 
AbnRanger -  its happening always, in every file/scene, and I did try to make a clean install still crashing

first video with audio commentary (Im explaining my worlfow that couses the crash, althought no crash in this one, only glitches you are about to see)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RPLTFn5OsvscLrFCFF8JKFnVAtUSQ3In/view?usp=sharing

second one (no audio), crash at 14 minutes 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xNkRLyxlcu9pUjZ_3WLHATzaJpGcrdMe/view?usp=sharing

third one, long one (I dont expect you to watch it, maybe you`ll want to take a look at what Im doing before the crash, (using  sphere/voxhide/posetools, with 2,3,4,w hotkeys) first crash after 31.30 minute, second crash after 55:00 minutes
https://drive.google.com/file/d/104jhQ21aJHuH9UYFYiL_YV_ttK4KUYtJ/view?usp=sharing

rsx_hotkeys_2024.hotkeys

Oleg_Shapo - 
problem with my file ? you mean the .3b project file Im working on ?  (if I understand You correctly then no, Im experiencing this glitches non stop, since the release of 2023.27) and I was always checking every next version with multiply projects I was working on, and I was always rolling back to 2023.16...

maybe my file as in installed 3dcoat files are corrupted ? I alredy tried to do a fresh install as AbnRanger suggested, but no luck, maybe I should completely clean every trace of 3dcoat on my system in windows registry ?

• Reputable Contributor
On 2/15/2024 at 2:16 PM, rosikowski said:

Oleg_Shapo - 
problem with my file ? you mean the .3b project file Im working on ?  (if I understand You correctly then no, Im experiencing this glitches non stop, since the release of 2023.27) and I was always checking every next version with multiply projects I was working on, and I was always rolling back to 2023.16...

maybe my file as in installed 3dcoat files are corrupted ? I alredy tried to do a fresh install as AbnRanger suggested, but no luck, maybe I should completely clean every trace of 3dcoat on my system in windows registry ?

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and I was very frustrated as well. Since this problem was not happening on Andrew's (Owner/Chief Developer) side, I knew there was something on my system that was causing it. I made sure to update my video card drivers and then I made sure to put the 3DCoat.exe (in the Install directory, ie. Program Files/3DCoat 202X/3DCoat.exe) on the Windows Firewall and my Anti-Virus exception list. It turns out that the Anti-Virus app I had (Avast) was the cause of the crashes. It never blocked 3DCoat before, but for some reason, it started to this time. After I put 3DCoat on the Exception/Allow list, the problem was gone.

If that doesn't help, send one of your scene files to support via the HELP Menu > send support@pilgway.com an email explaining the situation and remind them that you already sent them your work file. I would put CONSTANT CRASHES in your email title, so Andrew can see that it is an urgent matter and respond ASAP.

Im rolling back to 2023.16, 2024.07 is crushing, , same thing, freezing and shortly after crushing only when Im using rectangle and vertex lasso stroke mode with vox hide and sphere tool, not sure what else I could do 

Edited by rosikowski

As I saw, the crash happens on every object scaled but not freeze on volumetric space proportions

image.png

Press RMB over any object that show that red text on the lower left viewport and select the command 

image.png

Hope this help

• Like 1