3DCoat Forums

DVD (Voxel Sculpting Characters) Release Discussion thread

Javis

So is the download stopping as you reach the 24 hour limit? If that is the case you should definitely contact KURV. There is nothing I can do on that end, as KURV handles all that stuff. I'll certainly let them know you're still having an issue!

• Advanced Member
So is the download stopping as you reach the 24 hour limit? If that is the case you should definitely contact KURV. There is nothing I can do on that end, as KURV handles all that stuff. I'll certainly let them know you're still having an issue!

It's mainly because the "3 download attempts" limit. My internet connection is not stable, will lost connection every several hours or shorter.

For example when I downloaded 136 MB, lost connection. When I try to resume the broken download, KURV record it as two download attempts.

Even worse, it will not resume the download from 136 MB, it will start download from Zero. The limit for download attempts and times seems too strict for our low speed internet connection users.

As far as know, many countries in the world do not have that high speed internet commonly used like in USA or Japan. In mainland China, 1Mb and 2Mb (Actual download speed from about 70KB/s to 190KB/s) is the most commonly used.

• Advanced Member
yeah I think that's because you have high speed & stable internet connection. If you saw my previous post you'll understand.

How about using download manager like DAP? Believe me its not fast because Kurv server is slow 300kbps only for me from kurv. Tooks hours to download. In any case I'm sure Kurv will offer support :drinks:

• Advanced Member
How about using download manager like DAP? Believe me its not fast because Kurv server is slow 300kbps only for me from kurv. Tooks hours to download. In any case I'm sure Kurv will offer support :drinks:

Thanks geo_n, but unfortunately, Kurv doesn't allow us to use download manager as well. The text below is in the email from Kurv:

Note: Please do NOT use download managers to download your files. These managers will connect to the file more than one time causing our security to lock you out instantly. Please disable any managers before clicking on any of the download links, thank you!

Any solutions out there for OSX decompression of 1.78 GB file? It was advertised to play on OSX...... Great.

I bought and downloaded it, in hopes of more comprehensive, long-playing, geometry methods in 3dCoat....

Unfortunately, after proper downloading, the instruction for OSX decoding and playing indicates:

RAR 3.90 beta 3 for Mac OS X Command line only Trial 617 KB

It doesn't do drag & drop. Is there a simple copy- paste for the OSX Terminal command line?

Instructions look much more intricate than one copy and paste operation. (I'm not into DOS or Terminal command lines).

I hope that a clear and simple method will be recommended-- Wes from Kurvstudio has kindly responded but there is still no clear and simple method apparent. I should say download went well, taking several hours here.

I want to commend Wes for making an important effort to make a DVD, so soon after a major release - Bravo... I was happy to pay, just to "look over someone's shoulder" while they use 3dCoat and hope they comment on what they are doing. I doubt i will model characters, but to me it is all geometry, a favorite subject.

With thanks, Bo Atkinson

....Anyone else using OSX... What have you used to decompress? the DVD ... I tried SuffitExpander-- It seems to hang.

• Advanced Member
Thanks geo_n, but unfortunately, Kurv doesn't allow us to use download manager as well. The text below is in the email from Kurv:

I see. I missed that. I dont read the fine print from Kurv.

They should offer ftp download for other people :brush:

Hmm..can't seem to play the mp4 file not like other video from kurv

RE: Bo,

I've never heard of this problem on OSX. But I would definitely appreciate more input on from other OSX users to hear if they are having this problem.

BUT - This should really be over on the KURV support forums, since it relates more to the DVD problem itself. There are more video philes over there that could answer this question. That said, I will let Wes know about your problem.

Here is the KURV support forum for this DVD:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=214

• Advanced Member

There are no posts in the official Kurv forum so I think it's only natural for people to post here.

I hope some lessons are learnt from the problems others have had with this DVD release.

Still a mammoth effort to produce such a lengthy release in a short period of time!

I personally won't be buying it because of the length, but I'm quite sure it will prove its worth to others.

Guys, first and foremost, we are here to help you. I HAVE been responding to every email I see even over the weekend. We are doing our best to be sure you get your files.

Having said that, if you know you do not have a good internet connection... please do not order via download. We have have a LOT of people downloading the file just fine. Many have read this thread and have emailed me to say, 'just letting you know, I got the download, thanks'.

There is no issues with IE OR FF, we have been offering downloads for over a year and have all the kinks worked out on our side. Having said that, the DVD just launched and there are a LOT of you on the server at the same time. DO NOT use download managers, our system is looking for ONE connection per customer. It is ALSO looking for one IP address logged per customer. Many of you, are sharing the download links and the system is shutting you out for connecting from multiple IP's. We are getting a higher number of flags for this over the weekend.

Our server DOES support resume meaning if your ISP and computer allow for file resuming, then our server does as well. So if your file stopped at 200Mgs or at 2Gigs, when you connect again, our server supports resuming where you left off.

Folks, we will do what ever we need to do to make you happy and get you these files. All we need you to do is email me with your order number, turn off your download managers and we will assist you as quickly as we can.

As you can see I am checking in on things at 12:30 am on a Sunday night.

Thanks for understanding. We said here the files were large.... you begged us for a download :).

There are no posts in the official Kurv forum so I think it's only natural for people to post here.

I hope some lessons are learnt from the problems others have had with this DVD release.

There are no posts there yet because it is a new section, and no one has posted there. :)

Lessons learnt? You're absolutely right, we shouldn't have done a download on this. It is simply too large.

Guys, first and foremost, we are here to help you. I HAVE been responding to every email I see even over the weekend. We are doing our best to be sure you get your files.

Having said that, if you know you do not have a good internet connection... please do not order via download. We have have a LOT of people downloading the file just fine. Many have read this thread and have emailed me to say, 'just letting you know, I got the download, thanks'.

There is no issues with IE OR FF, we have been offering downloads for over a year and have all the kinks worked out on our side. Having said that, the DVD just launched and there are a LOT of you on the server at the same time. DO NOT use download managers, our system is looking for ONE connection per customer. It is ALSO looking for one IP address logged per customer. Many of you, are sharing the download links and the system is shutting you out for connecting from multiple IP's. We are getting a higher number of flags for this over the weekend.

Our server DOES support resume meaning if your ISP and computer allow for file resuming, then our server does as well. So if your file stopped at 200Mgs or at 2Gigs, when you connect again, our server supports resuming where you left off.

Folks, we will do what ever we need to do to make you happy and get you these files. All we need you to do is email me with your order number, turn off your download managers and we will assist you as quickly as we can.

As you can see I am checking in on things at 12:30 am on a Sunday night.

Thanks for understanding. We said here the files were large.... you begged us for a download :) .

Thanks Wes. :)

• Advanced Member

Hi Wes, I just realized that the whole thing is my fault. When I first saw Andrew's post that the DVD is on sale now, I ordered it almost at the same time without any thought, didn't read any text on the product page but directly goto and click "Add To Basket" & "Check Out" buttons, because I was too anxious to support Javis.

This is my first deal with KURV studio, I didn't know order download from KURV will have such time and download attempts limit. If I have spent a minute on reading the "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" on product page before click the "Check Out" button, this issue may won't happen.

So it is my fault I didn't read "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" before click "Check Out" button, I apologize.

Good to know most of people downloading the file just fine. Maybe only me have this problem, so the issue can be solved easily. Is it possible to provide a temporary FTP account? (I emailed this on August 7 but no reply).

Thanks for your support and please keep good rest.

Hi Wes, I just realized that the whole thing is my fault. When I first saw Andrew's post that the DVD is on sale now, I ordered it almost at the same time without any thought, didn't read any text on the product page but directly goto and click "Add To Basket" & "Check Out" buttons, because I was too anxious to support Javis.

This is my first deal with KURV studio, I didn't know order download from KURV will have such time and download attempts limit. If I have spent a minute on reading the "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" on product page before click the "Check Out" button, this issue may won't happen.

So it is my fault I didn't read "DVD-ROM and Digital Download Requirements" before click "Check Out" button, I apologize.

Good to know most of people downloading the file just fine. Maybe only me have this problem, so the issue can be solved easily. Is it possible to provide a temporary FTP account? (I emailed this on August 7 but no reply).

Thanks for your support and please keep good rest.

I appreciate you understanding, thank you!

The reason we have the 3 attempts and 72 hour limit is for security for Javis' intellectual property.

If you knew how many people we catch trying to share a download link with friends... asking us for another set of downloads only to get a report that they actually sent the link to a friend in another city, state, country.

It is disgusting and only hurts the industry you are in. I am sure Andrew can speak to this a little bit as I am sure he deals with piracy as well. It is not fair to Javis and others to have their hard work simply stolen and then you have the nerve to pop back in here asking him for support for your stolen tutorial.

What we have decided to do, is keep the downloads hands on and not automated unless you pay via PayPal. Even then if you need new links, we look at our logs. If you have shared the link, we deny you. And guess what, if you contest the charge, CC companies and PayPal stand behind us. We can prove you downloaded the file and tried to share it. We have won all our cases so far.

sorry to turn this into a piracy thread but we have about 5 people here, doing that and a few of them are complaining about not getting there downloads here as if WE did something wrong or were not responding.

Yes the file is big, we said in the threads it was over 6 Gigs. We got it down to a 3.7Gig download. If you do not have a fast connection, why would you even attempt this :) I know not everyone read the thread before purchasing.

Having said that, we at KURV studios have ALWAYS worked with our customers to get you the product you paid for. We can take the fee and apply it to shipping and simply charge you the difference in shipping costs to mail you a hard copy. I know you don't want to wait.... but that's our options. I wish I were Scotti and could just beam you a copy ;) but I cant.... at best I am the guy in the red shirt that you don't know his name and he dies half way through the show :D.

But one thing we can not do, is give you a download link, show you tried to connect and download and then you tell us you did not get it, give you a refund. Sorry.... just like walking into Best Buy and picking up Windows. As soon as you open the box, you own it. If it is defective, we will fix it. But it is yours.

Thanks guys. Lets get the thread back on topic here for the DVD. If you have any issue with the download let me know, I WILL reply and take care of you. If I do not reply within 12 hours, yeah post here, maybe your email hit my spam folder, I do check it, but we get a LOT or spam, like over 1000 a day. So have I ever deleted one I did not see..... yeah. Not intentionally.

Bottom line, we want you to get your download as soon as possible after your order, that's everyone's goal here :)

Thanks, if you have an issue, please email me at kurv [ at] kurvstudios - dot - com.

• Reputable Contributor
If you knew how many people we catch trying to share a download link with friends... asking us for another set of downloads only to get a report that they actually sent the link to a friend in another city, state, country.

It is disgusting and only hurts the industry you are in. I am sure Andrew can speak to this a little bit as I am sure he deals with piracy as well. It is not fair to Javis and others to have their hard work simply stolen and then you have the nerve to pop back in here asking him for support for your stolen tutorial.

Come on now....tell us how you REALLY feel. :D

• Advanced Member

I tried downloading three times and each RAR file completes to 100% download and I'm unable to open the 1.10 gb rar with WinRar 3.9b5. I get the error message nothing to open - Archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

I had Wes reset my link as I was past the three attempts and I get the same error message...

I don't have a problem with downloading large files. I recently purchased the upgrade to Vue Pro Studio 7.5, Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate, Hexagon 2.5, 3DCoat, Curvy 3D 1.5 and upload large jpgs to my Redbubble and Zenfolio galleries without any problems....

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/

http://www.redbubble.com/search/kenmo

I've even downloaded the demo trials of ZBrush & Modo.... No probs...!!!!!

Next time he sends the link I'll try it on my Linux computer... BUT it is my WinXP computer that has not failed me in the past for downloading or uploading large files.... And I'm on fast cable modem....

I'm pretty sure Jarvis's video is well worth the money but is it worth the frustration???? I hope so and I'm hopng someone at Kurvy has a workable solution soon....!!!!!

kenmo, the file is 3.7GB, not 1.1GB. You should try to resume your download as you don't have the full file.

Also, why waste your time with winrar? Use an open source program that is FREE and doesn't have any hiccups like winrar... I am talking about 7Zip of course. You'll find it to be much better then winrar.

PS- My name is Javis. Pronounced like -JAY-VIS. FYI. ;)

• Reputable Contributor
kenmo, the file is 3.7GB, not 1.1GB. You should try to resume your download as you don't have the full file.

Also, why waste your time with winrar? Use an open source program that is FREE and doesn't have any hiccups like winrar... I am talking about 7Zip of course. You'll find it to be much better then winrar.

That's what it is...you'll get that error message everytime if you don't have the full download

Well here is what I have done since my last post.

We have about 3-4 people saying the same thing, I do believe you guys. We also have about 10+ people who have privately emailed me saying it worked. I downloaded it and it worked.

So the only thing I can think of is we moved to a beefier dedicated server last week, moved the DNS on Tuesday. Yes it should not be an issue.... but, I did upload the files to the old server once and after the move had to upload them again, as the new server was a older mirror.

So, if your keeping up and a web guy ;)....

I call them today as we have both servers through august.... had them take the latest upload and mirror to the old server as of 4pm today CST.

SO.....

While this does not make any sense DNS wise, I guess it is possible that a few people are seeing the old server on a old route to our DL machine.

So.... those of you having trouble, please be patient one more time and try it again.

I have as of 10 minutes ago, downloaded from the current server and the old server using IP addresses both files tested and unzipped for me. :)

So the three of you.... lets try one more time. :D

• Advanced Member

Wes sent me an e-mail telling me it's 1.10 gb whish is the size of the rar file I've downloaded...

It should be a little over 1.2 Gigs

Thanks,

Wes "kurv" Beckwith

KURV studios

6225 Whetstone

McKinney TX. 75070

Here's the video

Sculpting and Retopologizing in 3D Coat

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...20&start=20

Well here is what I have done since my last post.

We have about 3-4 people saying the same thing, I do believe you guys. We also have about 10+ people who have privately emailed me saying it worked. I downloaded it and it worked.

So the only thing I can think of is we moved to a beefier dedicated server last week, moved the DNS on Tuesday. Yes it should not be an issue.... but, I did upload the files to the old server once and after the move had to upload them again, as the new server was a older mirror.

So, if your keeping up and a web guy ;)....

I call them today as we have both servers through august.... had them take the latest upload and mirror to the old server as of 4pm today CST.

SO.....

While this does not make any sense DNS wise, I guess it is possible that a few people are seeing the old server on a old route to our DL machine.

So.... those of you having trouble, please be patient one more time and try it again.

I have as of 10 minutes ago, downloaded from the current server and the old server using IP addresses both files tested and unzipped for me. :)

So the three of you.... lets try one more time. :D

ditto -

Wes sent me an e-mail telling me it's 1.10 gb whish is the size of the rar file I've downloaded...

Here's the video

Sculpting and Retopologizing in 3D Coat

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?sho...20&start=20

Well then, I didn't know you were trying to download a different DVD that isn't related to the DVD in this thread. I assumed you were talking about the voxel sculpting video. ;)

Anyway, KURV has solved the problem and you should all be good to go right now. Check out his above posts for more information on that. Sounds like the host server was going wonky!! DOH.

• Advanced Member
Well then, I didn't know you were trying to download a different DVD that isn't related to the DVD in this thread. I assumed you were talking about the voxel sculpting video. ;)

Anyway, KURV has solved the problem and you should all be good to go right now. Check out his above posts for more information on that. Sounds like the host server was going wonky!! DOH.

Sorry... I thought I was posting about the same video... DOH...my mistake....

• Advanced Member
Sorry... I thought I was posting about the same video... DOH...my mistake....

Just downloaded the file and it still won't open... I'm tired of being a beta tester for your problems.... I'll ask once more... Please give me a solution that works... I finished wasting my time...

If you want to retain me as a customer do the proper thing and give me the product I paid for...

Sorry I'm not meaning to be rude but enough is enough....

• Advanced Member

5 days past. I'm still waiting for your solution kurv. My only goal is to get the tutorial, others I've no interest.

I've asked 3 times if a temporary FTP account is possible, but you just ignore it and say other things.

OK I can wait much longer if you are too busy.

:)

• Advanced Member
5 days past. I'm still waiting for your solution kurv. My only goal is to get the tutorial, others I've no interest.

I've asked 3 times if a temporary FTP account is possible, but you just ignore it and say other things.

OK I can wait much longer if you are too busy.

:)

As a sign of good faith and in the interest of good customer relations Kurv should at least offer to ship us the DVD and they pay for the shipping.... I really do not think that is asking too much.... I was hoping to have the download before I went on vacation but I'm too busy and frustrated with Kurv's server problems....

I think IF they really want to retain us for future and long term customers they should give this a strong consideration.... It is often the lengths a vendor will go to develop good customer relations that helps create a loyal following....

Sorry Wes but how this ends up is totally in your court.... No more unworkable links for me.... As I said I leave shortly for vacation and have more urgent and pressing matters to attend to....

Cheers

Kenmo

PS: I can assure you the problem is not at my end.... I've download iso's in the past that where 4.5 gigabytes without a hitch....

• Advanced Member

Its getting to be a big problem on both sides.

Fwiw when I downloaded the 3.9gb file I am on a very fast connection able to download win 7 from microsoft in minutes BUT from kurv I downloaded the file once and it was slow. 300kbps for downloading 3.9gb would probably mean it would be slower on other peoples connection and a download as big as that would be better in ftp. I dont know how the resume works from kurv I haven't tried downloading and pausing and resuming again but whenever I downloaded something from the net and closed firefox it would not resume but restart the download from scratch.

Anyway I started watching vid 1,2. Very clear quality!! For 20hrs fit into 3.9gb I'm very pleased. I'm sure I'll learn many functions I never knew in voxels.