3DCoat Forums

Medieval Archer

philnolan3d

I was inspired to do a crossbow archer the other day so I started with an idea for a cool pose. I looked through my pose books until I found one that almost exactly matched what was in my head. Here's the results of my search. Originally I was thinking of one cross bow, but one in each hand like in the pictures could be even cooler.

posebookall.th.jpg

And here's what I've got with curves so far:

garanwip02.th.jpg

• Like 1

Geometry created and smoothed a bit. Since the character will be fully clothed all but the hands and head / neck will be used as a collision object for the cloth, so it doesn't have to be really detailed. This is kind of an experiment since as far as I know nobody has sculpted like this before.

garanwip03.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Working out the basic muscle shapes. I might be getting carried away with the detail, but I want to be sure that the cloth sim will drape correctly along the muscles.

garanwip04.th.jpg

wow good.gif and you did all this in 3DC ? (thought I was in another forum for a few second(Z) there...blink.gif )

u will definitely need to do a tutorial on this, Phil ....I wanna do this biggrin.gif

• Advanced Member

1 thing sticks out to me, the feet are quite unnaturally posed. your ankle simple cant bend that far. If you look at the girl in the photos she is placing her weight on her rear knee and toes. On the front the ankle is more relaxed and the foot is flat on the ground but resting on the side of her foot perpendicular to her shin. Bit of a crazy pose, it could be quite dynamic though if you tweak it

post-582-12566375190739_thumb.png

wow good.gif and you did all this in 3DC ? (thought I was in another forum for a few second(Z) there...blink.gif )

u will definitely need to do a tutorial on this, Phil ....I wanna do this biggrin.gif

Thanks, I actually did a little video on the "curves character" a while back, but that was before Andrew added all the new curves functions. Now you can set up a base character and save it off to a file for later use, the new rotate options make it just like posing a rigged character with FK (forward kinimatics). It's not 100% intuitive, but pretty close. You can even build the character with symmetry, then "apply" the symmetry so that you can pose the left and right sides differently. Here's the old video for what it's worth:

1 thing sticks out to me, the feet are quite unnaturally posed. your ankle simple cant bend that far. If you look at the girl in the photos she is placing her weight on her rear knee and toes. On the front the ankle is more relaxed and the foot is flat on the ground but resting on the side of her foot perpendicular to her shin. Bit of a crazy pose, it could be quite dynamic though if you tweak it

Thanks, I'm working on the ankles now actually. I really should redo the feet part of the rig, I'm sure I could come up with something that works much better. Being into martial arts myself (I studied Kenpo) I've been doing this pose myself and looking at how my limbs are positioned.

Here's a little update with tweaks to muscles, ankles, etc. This time with the grid turned on to show where the ground would be. Should be time to get started on cloth soon I think.

garanwip05.th.jpg garanwip06.th.jpg

BTW if anyone's interested in the pose books, I got this pose from this book and I have two other books like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Action-Pose-Collection-Costume/dp/4906436994/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256663738&sr=8-2

I've started with the clothing. In fact I made a video. I started by making this "retopo shirt":

garanwip07.jpg

Then I tweaked it a little in LightWave, then brought it back to 3DC and made this video:

(YouTube HD)

http://www.vimeo.com/7299362 (Vimeo SD)

And finished with this:

garanwip08.th.jpg

I actually made it twice, I think I might use the other one, I'm still deciding.

• Contributor

I've started with the clothing. In fact I made a video. I started by making this "retopo shirt":

garanwip07.jpg

Then I tweaked it a little in LightWave, then brought it back to 3DC and made this video:

(YouTube HD)

http://www.vimeo.com/7299362 (Vimeo SD)

And finished with this:

garanwip08.th.jpg

I actually made it twice, I think I might use the other one, I'm still deciding.

Hi Phil,

do you reckon your workflow could have done it all in 3DC without the side trip to LW?

Possibly. Most of what I did was using Bandsaw Pro which could have been done with 3DC's Split Rings tool. I also puffed out the sleeves a little in specific spots, which you can see at the start of the video. That might have been a little difficult since the whole point of retopo is to stick to the geometry and not pull away from it. Although, maybe it could have been done afterwords with the Move tool or something. There may be other things though that might be easier to do in a polygon modeling program like LightWave though that I haven't thought of yet.

On a side note, if you can do it entirely in 3DC I would recommend trying to, it was a little tricky getting the shirt back into position when loading it back in. Not really too difficult, just one extra annoyance.

• Contributor

ok,,thanks for the vid links, Phil...watched both of them and will watch them several more times...also opened up 3DC and gave the curves a whirl,,will experiment more in a little while, but have another project I need to tend to for the moment....thanks again for the vids,,very helpful.

• Contributor

Possibly. Most of what I did was using Bandsaw Pro which could have been done with 3DC's Split Rings tool. I also puffed out the sleeves a little in specific spots, which you can see at the start of the video. That might have been a little difficult since the whole point of retopo is to stick to the geometry and not pull away from it. Although, maybe it could have been done afterwords with the Move tool or something. There may be other things though that might be easier to do in a polygon modeling program like LightWave though that I haven't thought of yet.

On a side note, if you can do it entirely in 3DC I would recommend trying to, it was a little tricky getting the shirt back into position when loading it back in. Not really too difficult, just one extra annoyance.

Phil, I found that using the file menu's Import lets you specify importing with saved scale and location. I imported 3 object for one char and all 3 came in right on.

Boots. These were a little bit more work as I had to retopo the foot and lower leg, then export the retopo mesh and load it in LightWave, then alter it to add the heal and folded over part at the top. I also adjusted the shape some to make it more "boot shaped". Then I could bring it back in to the cloth sim with no gravity and only wrinkle up the calf area. I still have to work on the right boot since the folded part needs to be tucked into where the leg meets behind the knee.

garanwip13.th.jpg garanwip14.th.jpg

That's all for the basic clothing parts. Time to start detailing.

• Like 1

It may not look too different but I merged all of the meshes together so now we have just 3, the main body with clothes, the head, and the hands. The head and hands are separate so I can control their resolution independently. So this stage cut my triangle count from 12.5 million to just about 3 mil. It also made smoothing a lot easier so I was about to start smoothing out some of the unnecessary wrinkles.

garanwip16.th.jpg

Quick turn-around render at this stage:

your wrinkles are looking better, I think you still have some areas where they don't look physically accurate, but over all looks not to bad.

I do worry that your proportions may be off, as it's hard to tell because of the pose.

you neck may be too long, and your head shape is of, but I suspect you have not gotten that far yet.