3DCoat Forums

Why is 3D Coat not using the "surface tools" of the voxel area instead of the standard sculpt mode?

Taros

Hi.

Today I've worked in the voxel area and made some experiments with the surface tools which are incredible fast. With the surface tools, 3DC have a full toolset for traditional surface modeling.

So I asked myself:

Why 3DC is still using the old styled, not really needed sculpt mode, represented by the "sculpt" tab?!

Maybe Andrew can answer this:

Where is the problem, to use the surface tools instead of the old fashioned sculpt tab? What is the reason not to do it?

This would solve a lot of problems in the traditional workflow.

Best wishes

Chris

post-955-12738473737347_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi.

As far as I can tell, if I am understanding what you are saying correctly and indeed How 3DCoat works correctly, the tools in the voxel room can't be used in the sculpt room because in the sculpt room your model is in mesh form. The voxel tools deal with voxel 3D volumes and not 2D polygon edges and vertex's.

Personally I find the Sculpt room of most use in re-positioning seperate model elements in relation to each other. Also in touching up any little bits that are left out when quaudrangulating and merging for Ptex or Per-Pixel. For example here is a sculpture that was made with Voxel and then quadrangulated and merged for Ptex

127388184234.jpg

Here it is after it was quadrangulated and merged for Ptex in the Sculpt room. You see that the tip of the tongue & the fangs are missing

127388196674.jpg

So then in the sculpt room the mesh can be manipulated to bring the fine details back with the tools in the sculpt room.

127388304755.jpg

The Scult room tools are curtainlly not as accurated and don't give the same result as those in the Voxel room, it would be really good if they could and I agree it would really help the work flow. I'm not sure this would be possible though.

I am happy the sculpt room is there and you can do something to touch up things though.

Sorry for the big pictures, I haven't worked out how to do those little thumbs yet.

Where is the problem, to use the surface tools instead of the old fashioned sculpt tab? What is the reason not to do it?

Actually there is no big problem. I just need some time to implement what is missed in sculpt room.

It can't be done automatically because of very different representations of the mesh in Sculpt and Voxel surface modes.

• Like 1

Actually there is no big problem. I just need some time to implement what is missed in sculpt room.

It can't be done automatically because of very different representations of the mesh in Sculpt and Voxel surface modes.

This are great news.

What I imagine is: As soon as you implement a new feature into the surface tools, it will appears in the "new" sculpt room.

What I really miss are the masks. But if I would have the same functions, like in the current surface tools,it would be really nice.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: Andrew, be honest, how many programmers are really working on 3DC?! ;) Don't tell us, you are the only one... :)

This are great news.

What I imagine is: As soon as you implement a new feature into the surface tools, it will appears in the "new" sculpt room.

What I really miss are the masks. But if I would have the same functions, like in the current surface tools,it would be really nice.

Best wishes

Chris

That is what I envision as well, all of the tools in surface mode should function just as they do in, but in the Sculpt tab. Including the sf.freeze tool. Make it so Number 1!

• Advanced Member

The sculptroom is very neglected indeed. Some mesh sculpting workflow would be great! Since this will be sculpting on the mesh itself which means no more doing retopo over and over like from voxels. Yes I think its one of those top priorities.

Andrew afaik works alone and only has one other programmer doing the linux builds. So he is superman! Lol

That is what I envision as well, all of the tools in surface mode should function just as they do in, but in the Sculpt tab. Including the sf.freeze tool. Make it so Number 1!

Exactly - that's what I expect, too. :)

I understand some people like using voxels to make a base object then bring it into zb or MB to do the details. It would be nice if they could just do that with the sculpt room instead. Especially if the Sculpt room had multires, this seems like a very big undertaking though, especially since the Sculpt and paint rooms currently have trouble with high numbers of polygons.