3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat at SIGGRAPH

I'm in Southern California, not sure If I can help him out but I may have someone who can . Here is Andrew coming from?

Cool, I worked down in the Crimea for a while, one of our wheeling members is from the same general area. I'll see if Sergey can help him out.

As I recall NewTek's booth had a stage where William, Dick Van Dyke, etc. would show LW. Here's a video:

I was there when this was filmed, won a book on texturing in a drawing.

Edit: lol You can see me in the vid. Right at 5:51 you can just see my head in the lower left corner.

Edit again: hehe Part 2 of that video has them calling my name and me collecting my prize at about 5:05, though I think Dick called me Bill.

So that was all in the area they had rented out? No other vendors ever used the stage? I just wonder if Siggraph doesn't have a general purpose stage/area(s) for various vendors to showcase/demonstrate to a larger audience during a scheduled timeframe.

The other thing too is that, even with Andrew having a small booth...perhaps he can arrange something ahead of time to demonstrate 3DC using CUDA over at NVidia's booth?

Yeah that was NewTek's booth in the video, behind that wall was a desk with NT employees that would demo LightWave on computers and talk to you about it. I don't think there's a general stage area, I don't remember one anyway.

Edit: Ah Here's the floor plan showing where everything is. You can see Pilgway along the left wall, just to the left of NewTek's booth. Looks to be about 10'x10' in size.

http://old.siggraph.org/s2010/downloads/SIGGRAPH2010Floorplan.pdf

Yeah that was NewTek's booth in the video, behind that wall was a desk with NT employees that would demo LightWave on computers and talk to you about it. I don't think there's a general stage area, I don't remember one anyway.

Edit: Ah Here's the floor plan showing where everything is. You can see Pilgway along the left wall, just to the left of NewTek's booth. Looks to be about 10'x10' in size.

http://old.siggraph.org/s2010/downloads/SIGGRAPH2010Floorplan.pdf

Thanks...wow, look how big Pixologic's (ZBrush) booth is. It's as big as Newtek's, and it is right next to NVidia's. Wouldn't that be great to have an arrangement with NVidia to showcase CUDA using 3DC in a demonstration right next to ZBrush's booth? :D

Well it seems like Andrew already talks to some folks at nVidia at least for CUDA support and that new video card he just got. Maybe he could talk to them about that.

I wonder if Andrew is already in LA, venders are setting up their booths already. (Pilgway will be on the far left of this shot towards the back.)

910b4d7bb09e456e2c4510ddfdd869f3_full.jpg

I wonder if Andrew is already in LA, venders are setting up their booths already. (Pilgway will be on the far left of this shot towards the back.)

They are flying in Monday and going straight to the booth from there. I asked Stanislav (Marketing Director) if they could arrange for someone to demo CUDA using 3DC at Nvidia's booth...as it is RIGHT NEXT to Pixologic's :pardon:

I don't think that would be very appropriate. Besides, 3D-Coat's features can speak for themselves.

Yes, also as Don said, they will be in mid-day Monday. I'll be on in the evening on Monday, so I wont be able to see the booth until Tuesday.

If I were going I would be arriving early Tuesday and leaving Thursday evening, no way I could stay the whole week. Just too expensive.

Well, I've been there today, and seen the booth on aisle 100. It is very small, but for a small booth, it has class. It's already set up with spaces for 2 large demo monitors and one small table for guests to try things out. I'm hoping we will have another couple of seats for those doing the demos.

I'm sure Andrew's new auto-topo will be a huge "sleeper" for everyone attending. It's gonna rock the house, for sure. I'm glad I get to see the faces of those watching.

Weta has been stealing the show, so far, with talks on how they assembled and automatically animated the characters for Avatar. To be honest, I left feeling a little disappointed because I can see where photo-realistic art is heading, and it's not really somewhere I want to be, as an artist.

Greg Smith

Well, I've been there today, and seen the booth on aisle 100. It is very small, but for a small booth, it has class. It's already set up with spaces for 2 large demo monitors and one small table for guests to try things out. I'm hoping we will have another couple of seats for those doing the demos.

I'm sure Andrew's new auto-topo will be a huge "sleeper" for everyone attending. It's gonna rock the house, for sure. I'm glad I get to see the faces of those watching.

Weta has been stealing the show, so far, with talks on how they assembled and automatically animated the characters for Avatar. To be honest, I left feeling a little disappointed because I can see where photo-realistic art is heading, and it's not really somewhere I want to be, as an artist.

Greg Smith

How did you get to check it out ahead of the team getting there? Was it free admission today? For what it's worth, here is the poster I cooked up for display within the booth (on a tripod). I hope there is a lot of traffic going through there.

Have a great time demo-ing guys - I hope that Siggraph 2010 goes well for 3D Coat - good luck and happy modeling/sculpting,painting,uv-ing and retopo-ing (in no particular order).

How did you get to check it out ahead of the team getting there? Was it free admission today? For what it's worth, here is the poster I cooked up for display within the booth (on a tripod). I hope there is a lot of traffic going through there.

You should show, what you are talking about. Where are the guidelines? ;)

The most people are not reading, they look first, and see "just" a nice char.

You should show, what you are talking about. Where are the guidelines? ;)

The most people are not reading, they look first, and see "just" a nice char.

I didn't mean that in a suspicious way....just wondering if maybe Andrew had arranged for him to pick up a pass, or was it free Sunday. I was thinking about heading over a little early myself to take a look-see.

Don:

You've got to register as an exhibitor, get your badge and just walk into the exhibition area. Everyone is still setting up, but, I think Andrew and company ordered their booth to be set up by union guys - so it's virtually complete already.

Greg

Greg Smith

Howdy Greg,

your remark begs the question, "what's the matter with the 'suspension of disbelief'"? As an artist, I seek only to make things 'mind' realistic rather than photo realistic. This means I lack interest in camera lens derived effects. Traditional painting came to regard "Uniform Surface Tension" as an important aesthetic quality. Basically, this refers to techniques where every part of the visual field has the same importance (everywhere you look is 'in focus') and DOF is restricted to diminished contrast without any blur. The mind's perception has greater latitude than that of a camera but still depends on 'realistic' for effectiveness. :unsure:

That's interesting. I figured they were arriving today so they'd be spending their whole first day setting up. I hope someone will be taking pics there (discretely of course).

That's interesting. I figured they were arriving today so they'd be spending their whole first day setting up. I hope someone will be taking pics there (discretely of course).

They will be setting up all the video equipment and such today. But the booth itself is what he is referring to

BTW, Thanks for the tip, Greg.

Andrew said, that everything is ok there. They just very tired. Many people visited their booth they interested 3DCoat especially a new autoretopo tool.

Yes, it was a very busy day. Their idea to put a poster up highlighting the new Auto retopo tools was pretty big. I'd say that alone drove about 1/3 to 1/2 of the traffic to the booth. At times there were as many people checking out the poster as there was talking to demonstrators. :D

I think Andrew stumbled upon the Leprechan's pot of gold with that feature.