3DCoat Forums

Critique My Voxel Approach

kay_Eva

• Advanced Member

Hello. I used to use Sculptris mainly for sculpting. And 3dCoat for textures. But I switched back to 3dCoat since Dr. Petter said "smell ya later" :rofl:

Well, anyway, I was hoping you could critique my approach to using voxels. Here is an Example Voxel Vid on youtube for you to watch.

It's hard to tell but I prioritize my brush usage like this:

Whenever possible I use...

1.Scrape / if I can't use Scrape I use...

2.Smooth / if I can't use Smooth I use...

3. Clay / if I can't use Clay I use...

4. Move /if I can't use Move I use...

5. Grow

If you have a personal video example that shows a good approach to oraganics maybe you can post and explain it. Because I think voxels are a lot more open ended than polys. And that if there is a master of voxel workflow out there I would like to meet them. :brush: And hopefully have them post a vid. bai

• Contributor

I don't think someone can provide you a "working workflow", voxels are so open by nature that the only advices I could give you would be those given by my instructor when doing clay sculpts:

-start blocky, try to feel the weight of what you sculpt

-find shape that you like, rythms

-watch negative space to give breathing room to your shapes

-don't think, do, have fun.

For the technical side of the application, well I would do what spiraloid seems to do: experiment, you will find your weapons of choice.

That may sound light, but if you follow those general advices (which are working in a ton of domains in graphic arts) then you should be fine and that will keep you busy a lifetime (unless you're a super genius) :)

Yes I agree, anything that works is the right method.

Here's one idea though, you can take it or leave it. I made this little base character out of curves. It can be posed however you like, then just hit Enter and you've got a base body shape, even down to the fingers.

2010-11-14_1005.png

Attached if you'd like it. There are 2 versions, the (sym) one has symmetry already applied so it can be posed asymmetrically, the other one needs symmetry turned on across X.

basic_biped.zip

• Advanced Member

I like your approach. This is the way. The beauty of voxels. :clapping:

The aggressive use of negative grow tool combined with pinch is something you could try.

The use of more merges (spheres) is interesting too.

Ears, the copy tool is very handy. ;)

The most important tool IMO is to cut huge parts (grow+ctlr+any vector behavior of the tool)

To use a mannequin like structure is not the best as the art of sculpture likes more brave movements. Michelangelo could imagine a sculpt inside a stone, we can try the same.

To use a mannequin like structure is not the best as the art of sculpture likes more brave movements. Michelangelo could imagine a sculpt inside a stone, we can try the same.

That is one way of doing it yes, of course Michelangelo didn't have the options that we have. There are many options, I one suggested one of them.

• Advanced Member

I know Phil, what you suggested is something I tried of course. I still use it. There are many ways. But to sculpt on rock is possible with voxels only. And practically impossible for zbrush. It was the major reason I bought 3dc. :)

• Contributor

I like your approach too, though I usually do a mix of your approach and Phils.

I make ears the same way you do. :)

In the end, got to agree - whatever works for you is the way to do it!

Greg

• Advanced Member

I like the way you gain time by using primitives (the trunk).

You talked about Sculptris; it is a cool soft too, but there is

much more useful primitives in 3d-coat (those you can tweak are very handy).

Michalis wrote about using pinch an negative grow. I think is an important point

if you want to avoid too soft surfaces. Simulating hard edges would give your sculpt

a more solid feel. Keeping rough parts done with "scrape" is also an option, but

all depend on what you want to do.

Can't wait to see your next sculpt.

Hey thanks for the plug, Tony! :)

The great fact of the matter is the there are SO many ways of doing things in 3D Coat! I have found this is a clear sign of robust-ness in any piece of software. The is its great boon, but it can also make things difficult because searching for the "perfect" way becomes the enemy of the "good enough" way. And as a result, nothing gets done.

Does this mean we should never look for a better way? Of course not! That is how we improve! Otherwise, we continually flog away with only the tools we are comfortable with, even though there might be a better, easier way to get to the final result we want. And of course, the final result and the process we use to get there may be completely different from sculpt to sculpt, further complicating matters. So with that in mind kay_Eva...

Your technique with the scrape tool is great, I envy you your ability! But I might suggest using the Muscle tool to sculpt the muscles of the neck, chest and arms. When using that block to sculpt the body, think about using something like the closed spline tool to carve out the front and side views of the body THEN attack it with the scrape tool to cut in details. Alternately or in conjunction with that technique, think about using Phil's curve based proxy character as a start. THANKS PHIL!

And detailing is the next thing I'd think about. One thing I've noticed about voxels (and Mudbox, ZBrush, etc) is that they tend to look soft. Now, what you showed may simply be a rough sketch, and you plan to go back later and put details into the model. That will really tighten down on the forms. Unfortunately, if the forms are out of proportion, detailing won't improve things. Given that this appears to be a fantasy character, you shouldn't worry too much about that.

Anyway, keep sculpting! The biggest mistake would be to stop! :) Hope this helps, and have a great day!

Excelsior!

Eric Kunzendorf

Jacksonville University

• Advanced Member

hello everyone, thanks for the input and advice

@ekunzendorf - I usually end up clone and reduce resolutionx2 multiple times before I add detail. I try to keep the voxels as smooth as possible before I enter surface mode. So in this vid I was avoiding adding any detail. Eventually, I would cut and clone the head and arms off. So that I can add lots of resolution just to those areas without slowing things down too much. Well that's my basic approach anyway :brush:

• Contributor

Yes Curve tool can be nice way to get medium (Volumes) where you want them initially, But try not to think of it as a manequinn thats too restricted. Voxels offer the most unparralelled way of simply dropping in those basic shapes needed. Later can come the refinement. if you try and fit out everything from the word go Like a mannequin things will look kinda rigid.

Make a basic form using the curve tool (if you wish) go quite gestural and try to get a nice combination shapes these will be the foundation that can be refined. Think of the curve tool less of mannequin making but more of a efficient way to get that voxel medium where you want it so you can sculpt it. Just like rolling out sausages of clay and fixing to an armiture. so it can be sculpted on. 3D-Coat really does offer the closest comparison to this of any digital scultpting package. Very Free!!

My two pence.

As to tech on brushes I think with the last release its all change anyhow. cos Scrape tool is now VERY nice to use, and give a great control over thin volumes. Andrew re writing the wheel again with Voxel sculpting tools.

two examples of more gestural form building with the curve tool

post-1266-12899231034773_thumb.jpg

post-1266-12899231647176_thumb.jpg