3DCoat Forums

slow slow slow

v_m

Thanks Ranger! I don't know about the cloth simulation in 3dcoat, I think I would prefer doing something like that in Maya, but the extract skin way definitely sounds interesting :) I want to 'draw' the cloth rather than build it polygon by polygon in the retopo room.

• Advanced Member

The second link isn't working for me phil.

Anyway trying to work on a cloth, I need to smooth it but its not thick enough so have holes. Is there a way in 3dc tools to stop acting on opposite normals? Like the 'mask back faces' in zbrush.

• Reputable Contributor

By the way...don't forget, you can click on the Merge tool and browse the "Models" pallet for buttons, zippers, chain mail, etc. You have different categories to browse, by clicking the little downward pointing arrow in the upper-righthand corner of the pallet, and selecting the different categories.

Make sure in the Tool Options Panel to click the "On Pen" button (I think that is selected by default), and you can use the different sliders in the Tool Options panel to orient/scale the object how you want.

You have similar functionality with the "Curves" tool, with which you could create the Zipper (in the OK category), and I would use it to create any seams. It's round by default, but you could look under the SIMPLE category to select Rectangle to do the rectangular seams on jeans and such.

• Reputable Contributor

The second link isn't working for me phil.

Anyway trying to work on a cloth, I need to smooth it but its not thick enough so have holes. Is there a way in 3dc tools to stop acting on opposite normals? Like the 'mask back faces' in zbrush.

Smooth using Surface mode, so you don't get any holes...or you can right-click the layer and select "EXTRUDE" to give it enough thickness to prevent holes. I personally would use Surface mode.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I have also an tip, I did maden now my first human, I have an intel 2600k with 16GB RAM, just on my machine 3D Coat is going slow by over 4 Million polygons, but I see also, that is good to work with layers. It was just test, I set up my head (even of 5 Million polygons) - now its very slow to work fluid, but I did start now to made the upper part in a new layer ;) and voila it is fluid

• Reputable Contributor

A tip for you.

You do not need that many polygons for your human yet. As you block in the larger shapes keep the voxel resolution low by using the Resample tool at the bottom left hand side of the interface.

The picture is of a manhorse type. Since I was just sculpting larger form, I kept it under one million. The voxel/polygon count is around 700,000 polygons. Keeping the model low in resolution enables you to adjust forms quickly till you are happy with them.

Adding fine detail is where you need all those polygons...

In the Wip thread, the soldier head and helmet I posted is about 5.5 million polygons with the detail added...

post-518-0-87351400-1333883742_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

you are right ;) my first human was very fluid with 500.000 Polygons, but it was hard to create a nice eyesocket/eyelid

how would you create a nice eyelid? also a second/sub object? coz with only 500.000 Polygons my head was also nice, but I wasnt happy with the eyelid.

• Advanced Member

hey, I recognize also, that I can also work fluid with 15 also with 60 Million Polygons (but I see that I didnt need 60Mills), but I it is fluid/possible with very small voxelbrushes (e.g. brush radiation with 2) ... so I can also (in theoratical) make fine details in voxels too. It was just a test today with the smallest voxelsphere too ;)

Is it also good, if I work with the CUDA Version? Will I get more performance too? With this GPU?

I have an I7-2600k, 16GB RAM and a GTX 550Ti from Nvidia

The Cuda version is not complete, but you might try it, as a comparison.

If your eyeballs exist on a separate layer from the rest of your head, you can use the "Muscle" tools - that respect the surface of other layers - to make things like eyelids (with practice).

You can also try the "VoxLayer" tool to make the lids, then merge the layers created with the base head layer - using the voxel "Fill" tool and "Smooth" tool to soften the junction. Using this method, you can get by with far fewer triangles.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

yeah thnks, I did yesterday also see a video from her - to working with multiresolutions, thats also a good tip. here are a short video, there is also alonger version on vimeo.com :)

ps. to work with multiresolution, I'm so bl*nd, I recognized this tool yesterday :D but I whished, that multiresoultion could work with voxelmodus too, not only in the surface mdous, it would be great, or?

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I am having this issue as well. I did a post in the discussions board on Steam, but I don't think anyone looks at that.

Does any one else get issues with their CPU when using 3D - Coat? I run Norton Antivirus on my system and whenever I use 3D - Coat I get a pop up on my screen saying about 3D - Coat using up most of my CPU. I don't know whether this is an issue with Norton or whether 3D - Coat uses up a lot of CPU. I have a NVDIA GPU and I have tried using the CUDA launch option but I still get the pop up on Norton about my CPU. I find that when I'm modelling things in Voxel Mode which have a lot of volume, that is when my system starts lagging and I get the pop up about High CPU usage from 3D - Coat. My system is over the recommended specs.

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Eight Core CPU (4.00GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+

Motherboard: ASUS® M5A97 R2.0(DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, Windows 8 Ready!)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB

GPU: EVGA GeForce 660Ti

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-800GUK Gaming Series GS800 High Performance 800W Power Supply

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack

• Reputable Contributor

How many millions of voxels can you work at? That is the only way to compare your system....

A large brush radius can be very lagging at higher voxel counts depending upon your system.

By nature voxels are cpu and memory hungry. 

The work flow of voxels is.

1.Block in everything at a lower resolution.  The exception to this general rule would be hard surface boolean cuts or additions as you need more voxels to get cleaner cuts/additions

2.Increase resolution only when needed for the degree of detail you are trying to create.

3. Rinse and Repeat number 2.

The resample tool is great for controling the amount of voxel resolution increase.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't tend to use the res + a lot. I think for now I'll have to model things in small parts. The game I am working on at the moment we are taking a modular approach to the level design and I'm hoping the textures for the model will do most of the work for making them look pretty. So all I need to do in 3D - Coat is a small bit of sculpting for cracks and splits in the walls and stuff and the basic shapes that make the environment up.

Are the 3D - Coat devs aware about some users having high CPU usage? Or isn't it a big problem for most people?

Edited by ScrotieFlapWack

• Advanced Member

One thing I've noticed quite a bit is when Microsoft does patch Tuesdays, they sometimes cause a ton of problems in random places.  I've been getting that a lot, lately.  I restore to a good point in time back can do the trick most of the time for me.  I'm not saying this is the issue, at hand, but that it could be.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to keep restoring my system to be honest. I have found out however that being as I am a 3D - Coat user on Steam the Steam users have an older version of 3D - Coat than the users who have bought it from here. I think Andrew said 4.1 will be out soon and that will be available on Steam, so it may be that I am using an older version which is why my CPU is having problems.