3DCoat Forums

Leigh's Sketchbook

LJB

• Contributor

Cheers LJB-

Yeah watched your livedemo show - yawn (the 3AM OZ time frame not the show)- 1-3AM Woot!

Will the additional details be included in the Basic workshop download ?

Cheers

Jake

Yeah. I will make all the files available, and space providing we will get them on the DVD. I am going to use this version for the retopology section and work through the model in stages. aqs its much more complex in certain areas than b4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

very fine work!! some of the finest 3DC work I've seen. Those feathers on your previous sculpts looked quite spiffy, and that hard surface work is looking good too!

Also wanted to give you thanks for sharing the localized voxel increase method/video @ the beginning of this thread.

Please pardon my long post and possiblly redundant words:... I wonder, do you do your FINEST details in 3D Coat using Microverts on a quadrangulated, exported(decimated), or retopod mesh? I too was looking for z brush level high detail in 3DC for some time and found that sculpting a fairly high res voxel sculpt(usually 2x, or even 1x sometimes for this method), then using one of the methods above to get it into the MICROVERT room in 3DC, I'm then able to do VERY precise fine details that would otherwise totally bring my (rather speedy) system to a halt if I were to attempt to work at such a detail level in voxels. I can easily achieve 4-8x voxel resolution level detail in the microvert painting room, of course the per-pixel room wont work for this(and you're no longer in voxels).

I bring this up, because you can then in XSI/Maya/Max/Etc load up the poly-based mesh you painted on in the microvert room, your exported vox sculpt, and use the displacement map generated from the microvert room on a subdivided version of your poly mesh to get, for me anyway, (very nearly)Z Brush level detail from 3DC. And the ability to use the layers for detailing different areas of the sculpt, quite a bit like ZB/MB layers, finally!

If you use an app with "modifiers" for your poly meshes, like Max/Blender/XSI/Etc, just apply a subsurface/subdivide modifier to your poly mesh at a level 2-3(sometimes even a level1 subD works), then add your 3DC generated disp map to the subdivided/subsurfaced poly mesh to get that super fine detail you did in the microvert room.

Hope that wasnt too wordy, and I'm sure you and many of the 3DC users already know about this technique, but just wanted to share, as I was getting a bit frustrated at the lack of speed in 3DC when attempting to achieve Z-Brush level detail using the vox room, granted this takes you out of the vox room.... BUT SOON Andrew said we'll have multi-res for the vox room that will likely mimic this process in realtime without leaving the vox room, cant wait for Andrew to release multires for the vox room!! For now I use this method when I need super fine detail from 3DC.

Again, your work is impressive, kudos.

• Contributor

Well here's the thing currently if I'm working to order and need things done quickly I tend to incorperate ZBrush into the mix, I know alot of you will think that is contradictory of what we are trying to do here with promoting 3d coat but think about it this way. I want to try and promote not only 3d coats ability to do all things but also fit into current production pipelines, so developers that currently use ZBrush/ mudbox and other packages can see where 3d coat can excel in areas where the other apps fail, and encourage them to find 3DC's speed of concept.

Currently I'm working to the ideology that voxels for me Are way faster to prototype models, creatures and Characters. Using that same simple technique of localising the Higher level volumes to aid performance, giving my the added speed to create base form retopologise then Move work out to ZBrush, Which does currently out perform 3DC at Uber detail pass and brush performance. But understand ZBrush is a slower start process for me Its the way I work now. The speed of voxels and 3d coats retopoloogy enables me to deliver a optimised base into zbrush faster the sculpting a base in zbrush and retopologizing then projecting.

3DCoat is above all great fun to use, and once you understand the scaling and voxel system its fast to create more complex sculpts that work well performance wise. Only draw back I have found regarding blending the higher level volumes is that the voxel colour texture layer gets screwed at the seam of the blend but since I rarely use this colour layer and the occlusion layer is usually just fine it its no problem for me.

I love the speed of voxels over ZSpheres and I wish others would see this benifit. ZSpheres slide all over the place smoothing the zsketch can remove detail that was laid very quickly. Working with voxels on the other hand has a more predictable outcome and feels nicer to me as you actually sculpting something not simply pushing around balls.

On the multi res remember that though we may get it sooner rather than later a voxel surface is still made up from constantly changing irregular Tris, Tris are un optimal for high level details so if you read back through my thread we disscuss the level of voxel Tris indeed has to go much higher that where high detail would be possible in a poly pusher.

in Quadrangulating your mesh your optimising the flow to quads which deform better than tris in lower numbers and microvert is resolution-less normal map so of course works nicely, and yes that the key sub d surface layer your details. Not wordy at all good explanation.

[EDIT] Oh and Thank you for your kind comments I got on such a role b4 i forgot to mention that :drinks:

Edited by LJB
Forgot to thank

• Contributor

Last thing i wanted to share tonight, I promise, If you have seen my site lately you will see we are working on a animation piece with Kelly Lee Myers and Timothy Albee. And we initially thought that we would use the exact sculpt that we did in Generalized Workflow Series, Well we took a good long look at some good reference (I was lacking this when we did the inital series and had to work from memeory fo the film and a few small pictures off the net) and I decided we want to really try and get this off to the highest standard possible so I reworked the creature to more closely match those in the film. Here are some production shots of what we came up with.

Collabaration_Banshee.JPG

Collabaration_Banshee_UnderBelly.JPG

Collabaration_Banshee_3quarter.JPG

Hmm see what I mean about Voxels. Just try and set out that kind of undercutting and subtraction around the gills in anything other than Voxels and you will soon see the speed at which these sculpts can be created and retopolopgised.

• Like 1

• Contributor

@ Digiman Thank you V Much means so much.

@ Don, I understand there are lots of bad posts regarding Kurv. Some Justifyable I understand And i even find it frustrating at times myslef but and here's the thing, I can't go it alone on the 3d coat training front, with too little gain from it as is and too much capital up front. Im not about to go down the donation route either as I cant see as that will ever be enough, Sorry but that the way of the world. My child has got to eat. With the Live training i get a little up front So please bare that in mind. DVD and download royalties take time to come. All i can say is I will try my best to ensure things do get put out when they are supposed to. Even if it means I have edit some videos myself. Any way lets leave it at that, like you say.

@ Tinker Thanks man your Hard surface work is insparation to all. Im no where near your hard surface level, I will work on Hard surfaces given time but, that last ship you did was awesome!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Having a little play to break from my Lightwave cramming of late.

I call this fella 'Petal Pig'

Petal_Pig_Sketch.png

He's like a cross between a Chimera Shark, wild boar and hyena, with a little Seaweed thrown in.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Petal-Pig Retopology base in 3d Coat fine tweaking in lightwave (Claws, Petals, Undercut and Minor edgeflow correction).

PEtal_Pig_Lightwave_Base.JPG

This beastie looks like a formidable predator of underground dwellers like moles and gophers. :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...