3DCoat Forums

3D coat steam and version 4 questions

ZacD

I have a license for Education version Win V3, will that automatically upgrade for free to V4, or is there an upgrade charge?

I see that 3d coat is now on steam, is there a way to get my existing license added to steam?

Hi there!

It depends on when you purchased your license, regarding the upgrade to v4. If you purchased in the month of September or later of this year you get a free upgrade.

I am unsure of if it is possible to get your existing license onto Steam. I am asking Andrew right now. I'll let you know when I have information.

• Reputable Contributor

Steam is simply an authorized reseller of the same product you have. As for the upgrade, if you purchased your license recently (within the past month or so), then yes, you would get V4 for free. Kind of how most software companies approach it. The best way to know for sure, is to contact sales and let them know your particulars (when you purchased and what version...EDU or Commercial)

I just spoke with Andrew to clarify this. He tells me if you bought in August 2012 or later then you get the free upgrade (this is actually listed on the website), if you bought before that the upgrade cost will vary depending on the length of time. The more recent the lower the upgrade cost.

Hi!

For mac versions of software, that is pending with Steam itself. They are not permitting mac software - Yet. I'm sure it will happen eventually (and hopefully soon at that!).

For upgrades from edu to pro, I am unsure and will ask and let you know. :)

The steam users... can buy a win license and use the same license number for mac versions ?

No, definitely not. Only windows licenses are available on Steam at this moment. Other OS versions may be available in the future through Steam as well.

• Reputable Contributor

You have to buy a Mac or Linux version separately but the price is not expensive. Andrew said that he has to pay the Mac and Linux programmer. I bought my professional Linux 3 version for 40 US dollars since I had the windows professional version already. It might cost some more now since there has been a long development time between version 3 and version 4.

For upgrades from edu to pro, I am unsure and will ask and let you know. :)

From what Andrew said, upgrades from EDU to Pro will be done directly through Pilgway. This like anything else is of course, subject to change.

• Contributor

Another question just for the sake of curiosity: I understand the upgrade process from a version to another (edu to pro) takes place on pilgway servers but what about point updates ? I read that steamcloud is open for developpers to deploy updates, what's the stance of pilgway about it ?

That could help a lot to deploy quick updates (without downloading an entire new setup file, only modified files).

Another question just for the sake of curiosity: I understand the upgrade process from a version to another (edu to pro) takes place on pilgway servers but what about point updates ? I read that steamcloud is open for developpers to deploy updates, what's the stance of pilgway about it ?

That could help a lot to deploy quick updates (without downloading an entire new setup file, only modified files).

Thread found!

Andrews reply, "after some time we will do similar system regarding update, I must agree - Steam made it convenient."

• 2 months later...

Thread Necromancy!

I was just on Steam and I saw that a few other programs in the "Software" category are now offering Mac + PC versions. My credit card is ready-- if I buy it on Steam now (PC only), can I get the Mac version when both are up? If it's an additional cost (Steam DLC) I'm cool with that. Also, when can we expect a Mac version of 3DC on Steam?