3DCoat Forums

Bugzzz

Andrew Shpagin

• Advanced Member

Common error on OBJ (Wavefont import) ???

I get long spikes or runs of voxels off to infinity or maybe just very long.

This is mostly on very details OBJ imports.

Is this familiar Andrew ???? Or do you need screen shots and maybe sample models.

This is very troublesome bug.

If you can't fix this bug (import bug) directly so that the spike-runs never happen ...

how about adding a "delete thin features" or "delete by kernel" that would take

a very precise neighborhood specification and could run that kernel clean up tricks

in a direction from point A to Point B so as to not have to run over entire model

(that would be slow).

This could be a very nice addition to "Smooth All".

When adding a empty node to the vox tree, the node is often uneditable. Drawing inside of it, snapshoting of primitives, nothing works!

Saving the file, and reloading, the sub node in the vox tree finally begins to respond to editing commands.

This problem is still around in Alpha v57

It seems to be partly related to sub-objects having children.

The first time I noticed it I was experimenting with a hierarchy work flow

and had roughly 30 to 35 sub-objects with several branches and nothing

had gone wrong until the last few objects

But I've also had it happen with something as simple as this:

Root

|__volume1

___|__volume2

______|___volume3

I think something else in combination with a hierarchy triggers

the problem, though I haven't been able to isolate what this might be.

It's possible it might have something to do with transpose/transform,

the vox tree right click rename function, or hiding/revealing sub-objects,

since I was using those commands a lot.

But once it starts, it won't stop, any sub-object added with a "+" button

or via the right click menu after this starts will have the problem.

*Except* those create at the Root level

And Crusoe 's work around of saving the object and reloading

does not work for me.

What does work is creating a new sub-object at the Root level; adding

something to it with merge, primitives, etc and then using "Change Parent",

from the vox tree right click menu, to place it where you want it to be in the

hierarchy. Once this is done the new layer function without a problem,

you can add and subtract volume as expected.

But the inverse doesn't work. If you created a sub-object as a child,

and it has this issue, removing it from the hierarchy by changing it's

parent to Root won't fix it.

Once it's hosed, it stays hosed.

WinXP sp2, CUDA; haven't had a chance to check Simple

Hope this made sense.

Jeff

• Advanced Member

Alpha 57 DX & GL mode

I encountered a problem while testing the "Rough&Rapid" tool:

1. open up the file I attacled.

2. switch to "Rough&Rapid" tool

3. make sure symmetry in on

4. Ctrl + paint some strokes on the mesh(ex. forehead), you'll see horizontal holes appear.

post-751-1234858342_thumb.jpg

5. this problem doesn't occur when symmetry is off.

akira.

base_head.rar

Here's a .3b file that demonstrates the volume creation functions

not working on certain sub objects.

The problem sub objects are:

KNEE_L

KNEE_R

HIP_THIGH_L

HIP_THIGH_R

KNEE_L & KNEE_R have the problems previously described.

You simply cannot create anything in these sub objects

HIP_THIGH_L & HIP_THIGH_R have a worst variation of the problem.

Once you hit enter when using a creative function 3D Coat will go

into what appears to be an infinite loop, complete with memory leak.

ALPHA 57 DX & GL, CUDA & Simple, all appear to behave the same.

Hope this helps.

-Jeff

voxtree_subobject_prob_02.rar

3 issues with

Alpha59, all versions GL & DX, CUDA & Simple.

1st

3D grid disappears when using Transform.

Will reappear while rotating view, but disappear again the moment you stop rotating the view

It reappears when you exit transform.

(And, if I can sneak it a feature request; some sort of grid snapping in 3D space for "Merge>Transform" & "Transform" would be great. Even if it only worked in orthogonal views)

2nd

I imagine this may be related to the 1st problem

Way more 3D drawing errors, Holes in objects that disappears when rotating the view,

Objects sometimes leaving smeared trails, etc

This is happening on 2 different machines, with different graphics cards

3rd

Transpose creates new object rather than just transposing.

1. Select "Transpose", switch Transpose mode to "Select Object"

2. Select the default sphere in volume1, move it away from center

3. Either click "Clear Selection" or select another function.

4. Select "Transpose" again, and select the sphere you just moved.

Now notice it appears speckled, move the object and you see this

is because the object has an exact duplicate sitting at that position.

Though occasionally this duplicate has chunks missing.

-Jeff

• Advanced Member

Last night i couldnt open up a model i created and saved in v59 anymore. The weird thing is i saved this model with an increasing number as i worked and somewhere along the line it broke. Because i can open the first two iterations of the model but not the last two. I allready send you a bugreport on this after 3dcoat's crash (it crashes every time i try to open the model; even when i try to merge it in through the voxtree).

Here is the zip with two models. File named skullkid_002 still works and file named Skullkid_parts is the most recent version which doesnt work anymore. I supplied both so you have a comparison. If you can fix the model that would be great if not just fix the bug in 3dcoat which corrupts the saving (or opening, i dont know where the problem lies) and ill be happy to model something new. ;)

modelcrash.zip

Thanks in advance.

GrtZ

JW

PS

Model crashes on load in v60 also.

• Advanced Member

It wasnt yesterday when i first posted it. ;)

Besides i dont care if it takes a little time because its weekend. As long as he's gotten the bugreport and the files.

For now i gues ill save out the polygon version of my sculpts next to the 3b files.

Cheers!

JW

• Advanced Member

Also it seems the spikes, holes and random floaty bits are back when using surface clay. (i also think i get them when using move) I also think these brake symmetry because the fault doesnt always appear exactly the same on the other side. I spend alot of time fixing these things by smoothing over them untill they dissapear. It appears these are randomly displaced voxels because sometimes you can litterally see the hole they came from on your model.

post-949-1235229262_thumb.jpg

Undo is also hit and miss with fixing this. In other words if i make a stroke which gives me spikes sometimes undo fixes it back and sometimes it doesnt. Also undo doesnt work within transpose. In other words if i make a selection and move something with transpose i cant undo it untill i get out of transpose. Its only when im out that i can use undo. This is incredibly aggravating because you always move/rotate/scale stuff a couple of times before deciding on what gives the best result.

GrtZ

JW

• Advanced Member

Here is a minor bug that could possibly become worse with future menu/interfaces changes.

The problem occurs when the Volumetric sculpting tool menu or panel is pinned to the upper left corner of the screen. If the mouse is positioned over a "flyout" type menu, like the "Type of Drawing" The Type of Drawing menu goes out to the right and on top of the Volumetric sculpting tool panel, as expected. But as the mouse to the right to make a selection, suddenly the Shader menu activates. The Shader menu is hidden but the little "flyout" shader selection triangle remains activated and a shader selection can be made. Focus should remain with the "Type of Drawing" menu.

post-438-1235260101_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Ended up with more .3b sculpts i cant open.

Did have an obj backup from a few revisions back but this really sucks nonetheles. <_<

Here is another bug where the mouse cursor wont register a sculpt when you move over it rendering all the tools non functional:

anotherbug.zip

And here is a move showing spikes appearing. This is so recurring that once i find a spot i can recreate it as many times as i want.

bugs.zip

Here is another bug. Select the freeform lasso tool and navigate around your model you will see a green line being drawn.

curvesnavbug.zip

When you pin the pen menu and pick a different alpha it closes despite you having pinned it.

penmenu.zip

If you change focus to 3dcoat from another app (notepad, imageviewer, firefox) and have move selected you get a random stroke.

focusbug.zip

When you use a cutting tool (like freehand lasso) with part of your model behind you it will also cut backwards. This makes trimming/cutting unusable in a lot of situations.

backwardscutting.zip

As phil pointed out (thanks) hiding doesnt protect the sculpt from operations (also hiding is still too rough)

hidebugged.zip

Regarding hiding in general. What i would LOVE to see is hide to work alot like cutting/trimming is now. In other words. The sculpt is still "closed". In theory you could say it almost works like this; what you hide is cut away and pasted on a hidden layer. You can do whatever you want on your sculpt even on the newly created surfaces where you trimmed away. When you press unhide the area that was cut away is pasted back in and merged with the sculpt you changed. That would be absolutely perfect. It would be visually clear and very pleasant to work with.

All the current lasso tools could be used and the normal brush should work pretty much like a normal sculpting brush. Only thing is it only erases (you could say it only has a subtract mode). So you litterally can hide -volume- by carving it away instead of hiding the surface or whatever it is that your hiding now. Really; make hide good. Im begging here because it would be so much more usefull then what we have now.

JW

PS

Its very annoying im not allowed to directly upload avi files. Since jing started offering a pro version they downgraded the free jing which has become unusable for 3dcoat now so im stuck to recording small avi's (only 3-500 kb each) but i still have to upload them. Because im not allowed to upload avi directly on here i have to zip each one which is cumbersome.

Its very annoying im not allowed to directly upload avi files. Since jing started offering a pro version they downgraded the free jing which has become unusable for 3dcoat now so im stuck to recording small avi's (only 3-500 kb each) but i still have to upload them. Because im not allowed to upload avi directly on here i have to zip each one which is cumbersome.

I haven't noticed a downgrade to Jing after the pro version came out but if you're on a PC you can try CamStudio. You get a lot more than Jing and it's also free. The downside is that you don't get the web storage, but you could perhaps use Photobucket or MegaVideo for free online video storage. Of course there's also sites like Veoh and youtube as well.

• Advanced Member

Funny you should mention that. Ive used camstudio to record these avi's and it rocks (been using it for a while actually).

With jing i have the problem that the recording started to show long pauses. An average movie might only show 3-4 frames. Like an extremely slow slideshow. I doesnt seem to tax my system much but this is the effect i get each time i use jing nowadays. It used to work fine in the past for me and i recently noticed someone used it to show something he did in 3dcoat (think it was posted today even) so appearantly not everyone is having the problem. Maybe my pc is not fast enough and instead of jing lagging my system it just borks its recording? I dont know.. :huh:

Youtube doesnt work here for everyone and besides the quality and upload is questionable. Attaching seemed fastest its just annoying you cant upload avi's directly.

GrtZ

JW

Youtube doesnt work here for everyone and besides the quality and upload is questionable. Attaching seemed fastest its just annoying you cant upload avi's directly.

I don't know about there, but here you can upload in 720p HD and it looks fantastic. I just did it for the first time here:

Of course that's neither here nor there if you can't access it.