3DCoat Forums

Difference between Pilgway and Nevercenter

BeatKitano

Guest Cinnamon

I'm not a fan of those packages. Learning one of the top three Maya, Softimage, Max probably a better route since they're owned by the same company the compatibility between the two especially Maya and Softimage is very identical so going between either is pretty easy, rather then going from Silo to Maya or Softimage which is a drastic learning curve, months if not years of a very solid grasp.

• Contributor
I'm not a fan of those packages. Learning one of the top three Maya, Softimage, Max probably a better route since they're owned by the same company the compatibility between the two especially Maya and Softimage is very identical so going between either is pretty easy, rather then going from Silo to Maya or Softimage which is a drastic learning curve, months if not years of a very solid grasp.

Silo is complementary app, its speed is almost unbeatable, but i still use maya for other thing than modeling. Its a pity this is so flawed really, cause that aside its a pleasure to model with it.

• Advanced Member
And Blender!! B)

yeah I saw blender videos and thought why doesn't lw or max have that. The edge welding tools alone are cool. Too bad cg industry is still a popularity and reputation industry so blender has no penetration in market here.

• Contributor

BeatK Congrats on that Video. Beautiful Work. Hats down to you for sticking with it and taking a screenie everytime Silo crashed (your must have the patience of a saint) Silo has now become SOO unstable for me i cant even load a mesh in and work on it fior more than a minute os so, So i invested in Modo 401 no problems since.That Vid really cheered me up. Something about that Mcgyver tune that really fits with Nevercenter ideals.;)

• Advanced Member

You know, not to defend Nevercenter, but I wonder if it's more to do with the latest drivers?

(that'd have to be drivers within the last year, since they haven't updated their software to address what

seems like much more standard crashing reports)

I'm using 185.85 drivers currently and have had minimal crash issues with the system in my sig.

(aside from the usual symmetry/sculpting ones and some occasional out-of-the-blue crashing)

I've also used Silo on my older laptop with a 7800GO drivers and had horrible crashing while

dual monitors were running...until I reverted back to a driver level prior to the crashy one. And

with those crashy drivers, if I just ran with one monitor it was quite stable...

But of course, the bottom line is Jamchild and Feed seem to have gone all Wonka on us and

dropped development/interest, so I guess it's moot.

• Contributor
You know, not to defend Nevercenter, but I wonder if it's more to do with the latest drivers?

(that'd have to be drivers within the last year, since they haven't updated their software to address what

seems like much more standard crashing reports)

I'm using 185.85 drivers currently and have had minimal crash issues with the system in my sig.

(aside from the usual symmetry/sculpting ones and some occasional out-of-the-blue crashing)

I've also used Silo on my older laptop with a 7800GO drivers and had horrible crashing while

dual monitors were running...until I reverted back to a driver level prior to the crashy one. And

with those crashy drivers, if I just ran with one monitor it was quite stable...

But of course, the bottom line is Jamchild and Feed seem to have gone all Wonka on us and

dropped development/interest, so I guess it's moot.

It always have been that buggy with my machines, no matter the drivers of hardware.

Anyway this is a common problem, i'm totally not the only one to encounter such failures and the no update policy of nevercenter is the direct cause of this video (that and the new policies on nevercenters board).

• Advanced Member

I'm far from being a good modelere and only have been in 3D about 3 years part time, so very much a newbie.

But I've concluded, it's not necessarily the program, it's the user who makes things work.

Just looking around at the pro techniques on this forum convinces me that effort and practice, along with sustained comprehensions makes up for any shortcomings.

• Advanced Member

While never forgetting the amount of frustration this must have caused to make - you did make me laugh a whole lot with this video! :good:

Unfortunately I just don't think anything will make Nevercenter release again (and I guess you've realised this too - NEVERcenter, hehe). I can sort of understand their position to some extent, there comes a time where every developer wants to wash their hands of a project as wanderlust takes hold. However, I feel that Andrew might not clam up quite so tightly if this ever happens at Pilgway. :brush:

• Contributor
I'm far from being a good modelere and only have been in 3D about 3 years part time, so very much a newbie.

But I've concluded, it's not necessarily the program, it's the user who makes things work.

Just looking around at the pro techniques on this forum convinces me that effort and practice, along with sustained comprehensions makes up for any shortcomings.

Yeah sure, you can makes up at random crashes within the 10-45 minutes interval.

I guess those who don't have those crash (a really tiny percentage of people i guess judging by the reactions to this video on nevercenter forum) are simply using their workflow that *MAY* help them bypass those crash.

But my worflow is my workflow i don't consider normal to need to change my habits just because some programmers are too lazy to think of a bugfix, they promised ages ago to sell some more licenses.

And when this get so recurrent, i can't tolerate it as customer, i feel like someone intentionaly took my money without counterpart.

I'm not an annoying person as long as things are between honest and good willing person which is obviously not the case of nevercenter staff.

@David Walters: good if you find it funny, it was the goal, to laugh of what has become pure frustration and sadness.

About blender, i'm watching the developpement of blender 2.5, its seems to be heading in the right direction, i think i would use it right now if there was a way to actually save the custom hotkeys (must have for me, i can't work with blenders default setup).

LOL - the old silo is trash vs silo was ok now its obsolete becuase of redsChild [jamchild]and [media]feed argument rears its head :D

Always fun - but can i ask is 3DCoat a comparable modeller to Silo? I havent really delved much into 3DCoat - although I now have 8gigs of RAM as 3dCoat seems to be a major RAM gobbler, but 3DCoat seems to have a few modelling tools. Personally I don't need a large variety of modelling tools, so is 3DCoat adequate for most modelling needs?

• Advanced Member
Yeah sure, you can makes up at random crashes within the 10-45 minutes interval.

I guess those who don't have those crash (a really tiny percentage of people i guess judging by the reactions to this video on nevercenter forum) are simply using their workflow that *MAY* help them bypass those crash.

But my worflow is my workflow i don't consider normal to need to change my habits just because some programmers are too lazy to think of a bugfix, they promised ages ago to sell some more licenses.

And when this get so recurrent, i can't tolerate it as customer, i feel like someone intentionaly took my money without counterpart.

I'm not an annoying person as long as things are between honest and good willing person which is obviously not the case of nevercenter staff.

@David Walters: good if you find it funny, it was the goal, to laugh of what has become pure frustration and sadness.

Yeah, I hear you. I tried Silo, but stuck with Hexagon and Lightwave3D.

On the earlier version of Hexagon, I was crashing multiple times with a dual core AMD processors and 6600 NVIDIA card.

Now that I have a Quad core 6600 intel and NVIDIA 8800, I hardly ever crash unless I do something stupid.

In fact, when I first got Hexagon, I could barely keep it running without crashing.

I keep a feather duster near my computer desk for bashing things - it helps alleviate the stress and clears furniture of adherent dust. :)

• Contributor
Yeah, I hear you. I tried Silo, but stuck with Hexagon and Lightwave3D.

On the earlier version of Hexagon, I was crashing multiple times with a dual core AMD processors and 6600 NVIDIA card.

Now that I have a Quad core 6600 intel and NVIDIA 8800, I hardly ever crash unless I do something stupid.

In fact, when I first got Hexagon, I could barely keep it running without crashing.

I keep a feather duster near my computer desk for bashing things - it helps alleviate the stress and clears furniture of adherent dust. :)

If that was hardware related it would be wonderful, but the fact is on 4 VERY different computer, silo is a crash machine.

• Contributor
LOL - the old silo is trash vs silo was ok now its obsolete becuase of redsChild [jamchild]and [media]feed argument rears its head :D

Always fun - but can i ask is 3DCoat a comparable modeller to Silo? I havent really delved much into 3DCoat - although I now have 8gigs of RAM as 3dCoat seems to be a major RAM gobbler, but 3DCoat seems to have a few modelling tools. Personally I don't need a large variety of modelling tools, so is 3DCoat adequate for most modelling needs?

I was not comparing silo's capability with 3dcoat''s, i was talking about staff policy, Andrew listen to users feedback, he keeps going forward, and more importantly keeps us in the loop.

Nevercenter is all about shut doors and image control (modifying and deleting users posts to be more "silo is cool"-compliant).

When I look at silos news all I see is a pr manager trying to sell some more licenses of a crashy software with no future. Not what i expect from a company that wants to represent innovation...