3DCoat Forums

Here's a new Curve bug, if the current voxtree layer is empty the curve doesn't display.

Video: http://screencast.com/t/h2K2MTyc5

haikalle: While that's a nice thought there are still other features in 3.0 that haven't even been started yet (to my knowledge), like the low-poly painting and the new UI (well UI was started, but not actually implemented).

Something else in addition to my above video. I worked on my characters arm with the torso layer selected so I could see what I was doing. When I was all done with the scaling of points and such I switched to the empty layer shown in the vid. Then my whole viewport went all dark gray with patterns in it. I'm guessing what's happening is that on that empty layer it's reading the scale wrong and the gray I'm seeing is the curve display being blown way out of proportion.

3dc_curves.jpg

• Contributor
How do I get rid of the initial vox sphere? The rectangle doesn't do it anymore and I can't delete the volume from the vox tree.

Did you press the clear button or use cntrl key with rectangle selection?

• Advanced Member
Ow, I listened. It's just that I don't understand :blush:

Maybe a bit technical for me, sorry.

Hehe thank you, yeah it's too technical stuff.

Here is the unofficial patch for those who had problems with PicMat shaders(in GL version).

Usage:

1. extract these files into "Program Files\3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA\Shaders\Custom" and overwrite the old ones.

2. restart 3DC and switch shaders to refresh shader cache.

akira.

PicMat_GL_Shaders_Hotfix_Jan16_2k9.rar

Here is the unofficial patch for those who had problems with PicMat shaders(in GL version).

Usage:

1. extract these files into "Program Files\3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA\Shaders\Custom" and overwrite the old ones.

akira.

Big thanks akira!!! I will include it in next alpha.

• Contributor

Usage:

akira.

The old problem when using transform scale along with the PicMat shaders is back (colored gradient stuck on model forever)

(Gl only)

• Contributor

Thanx Akira :D work fine here,no more rainbow gradients.

also ,on another note:

it seems that Transform(specifically scaling on an axis) and the Picmat shaders doesn't go along well

for reasons that are beyond me.

the shading does not fit the object like lamblight.I guess it is because they are picmat shaders.

Blending Manual & Automatic Quadrangulation

Andrew:

For the most part I think your auto quadrangulation algorithm is quite functional for almost all applications, even at this stage of development, and I'm sure you will improve it. The one exception to this is auto quadrangulation on areas like faces, that need to be animated, especially cartoon faces that use extreme poses.

For example, your auto quadrangulation produces great results for a character I made on areas like the torso, arms, legs, hands, feet, even fingers and toes. But, for optimal results in animation, I need to manually retopo the head.

Would it be possible to merge into the retopo part of the program, first, my manually meshed head, and then your auto quadrangulated, symmetrical mesh? Once both were present in the retopo area of the program, I could manually stitch the two parts together, (my character is a uni-mesh).

So far, my attempts to do this result in the manually retopoed mesh being deleted, after applying your auto meshing system. If this is possible already, could you outline the steps to make this work?

Thanks,

Psmith

• Advanced Member
Blending Manual & Automatic Quadrangulation

Andrew:

For the most part I think your auto quadrangulation algorithm is quite functional for almost all applications, even at this stage of development, and I'm sure you will improve it. The one exception to this is auto quadrangulation on areas like faces, that need to be animated, especially cartoon faces that use extreme poses.

For example, your auto quadrangulation produces great results for a character I made on areas like the torso, arms, legs, hands, feet, even fingers and toes. But, for optimal results in animation, I need to manually retopo the head.

Would it be possible to merge into the retopo part of the program, first, my manually meshed head, and then your auto quadrangulated, symmetrical mesh? Once both were present in the retopo area of the program, I could manually stitch the two parts together, (my character is a uni-mesh).

So far, my attempts to do this result in the manually retopoed mesh being deleted, after applying your auto meshing system. If this is possible already, could you outline the steps to make this work?

Thanks,

Psmith

I think you are on the right track but going about it in the wrong order. I have done this already, not necessarily for animation but to get some areas of the mesh better detail in the retopo and displacement. What I do is do the auto first get it the way I like then delete the area I dont like then retopo and join the meshs together. An example would be the face like you stated.

Is that what your are refering to?

• Advanced Member

In vista, using the alpha50 build of the 64-bit DX version with a wacom intous3 I think I've found a bug...

Sometimes it seems with certain brushes it stops taking the depth of the brush into account and instead uses the smooth options depth!

It's kind of random but I'll try and narrow it down when I get more time...

Very impressed with the quadrangulation tools so far! Oh, and the regular triangulated exported meshes do amazingly well when put under extreme amounts of point reduction in XSI! This must be because the vertexes are spaced so evenly?!

VERY happy with these tools! Thank you Andrew!

Just don't forget what makes 3DC so great in the first place...all the painting tools!

And yes the exclamation marks are needed!

Deadman:

You are right, the way I explained it would be the backward way of approaching the problem. I guess I went about it that way because I had a nicely topologized head built already and wanted to avoid having to retopo the body manually.

So, yes, the way would be to auto quadrangulate the entire voxel sculpt, delete the unsatisfactory areas and then manually do those afterward. Much simpler that way.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not, but sometimes, when I use "AutoSeams" and then unfold my UV's then apply them, the resulting mesh, (which is ready for painting), seems to display some faces with normals pointing in the wrong direction. I'm not sure what causes this or how to get rid of it once it is there.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
Thanx Akira :D work fine here,no more rainbow gradients.

also ,on another note:

it seems that Transform(specifically scaling on an axis) and the Picmat shaders doesn't go along well

for reasons that are beyond me.

the shading does not fit the object like lamblight.I guess it is because they are picmat shaders.

PicMat shaders require accurate surface normals(in view space) to get proper results.

I guess Andrew calculated surface normals of the model "before" applying transformation, that distorted the normal vectors and affected the result of all of the shaders, not just PicMat ones.

Maybe calculates normals "after" applying transformation will solve this problem.

akira.

• Contributor
PicMat shaders require accurate surface normals(in view space) to get proper results.

I guess Andrew calculated surface normals of the model "before" applying transformation, that distorted the normal vectors and affected the result of all of the shaders, not just PicMat ones.

Maybe calculates normals "after" applying transformation will solve this problem.

akira.

thanx Akira I understand now.(I really felt lamblight didn't have this problem tough)

• Advanced Member

Here is a problem I've been having along with Undo not working sometimes.

If I have a voxel model and then quadrangulate it will do what appears to be an unwanted intersection boolean operation between the voxel sculpt and the basic voxel sphere that appears at the beginning.

However I only have one volume on the octree so the sphere shouldn't be there and also the strange boolean operation instead of quadrangulate.

voxelan1.png

The voxel on the left is how the viewport looks before quadrangulation. There is only one volume in the scene and that is the visible figure.

The middle image is what occurs after quadrangultion is complete. A sphere comes out of nowhere.

The right image is the resulting mesh. A weird intersection boolean operation as opposed to quadrangulation.

Sometimes quadrangulation works properly sometimes it does this and I'm not sure what causes it.

thanks!

Here is file: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwjzwqmjnmj