3DCoat Forums

• Contributor
I have the same problem Artman.

....I said reverting back to my normal video driver solved the problems....

well,now they are back(freezing on every action when enabling orthogonal view). :(

I really don't understand. :huh: How can a problem be there and then not be there.

well anyway,back to alpha47....

....I said reverting back to my normal video driver solved the problems....

well,now they are back(freezing on every action when enabling orthogonal view). :(

I really don't understand. :huh: How can a problem be there and then not be there.

well anyway,back to alpha47....

ok, new alpha will be today or tomorrow, I hope it will solve some issues.

Now I am working over symmetrical quadrangulation. 3DC will auto-capture symmetry, even if symmetry is partially broken in some places.

• Advanced Member

Has the current beta got support for this quadrangulation thingy ? or is that coming in the next one you're uploading Andrew ? because either i'm blind or stupid, or a combination of both because i cannot find any quandrangilation thingy in the current release. :)

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

Quick question (I apologize if this has been asked before):

Is CUDA currently enabled in the OSX version or is it windows only for the time being? If windows only, will CUDA support be added to the OSX version?

Andrew,two questions:

1、In alpha49,can quadrangulation work in topology mode?

2、with the incomming direct painting over low poly,can we make realtime normal/displacement/highlight map as now?

1 - only in voxel mode. But you can drop any object to voxels and then quadrangulate it.

2 - normalmap will be generated on the fly like it is now. All "conditions" - cavity/height etc will work there as well.

Under what work flow will poeple be using quadrangulation?

My interpretation:

1. Sculpting model

2. Don't have time to retopo, consequence: Quadrangulate

Further possibilities:

Need quadrangulation for very complex models, to set the polysize down and use them as basis for normalmap-projection and/or animation.

I guess, there are a lot of more challenges, that need a quick and clean (it's not dirty) way to make a complex model cleaner.

If Andrew and his team make it and build in some productive tools to control the quadrangulation, this could develop to the future of retopologization.

Be creative

Chris

Updated to V49

Changes:

1) Quadrangulation supports symmetry. Enable symmetry plane to force symmetry and press "Quadrangulation". Even if symmetry is partial, 3DC will try to quadrangulate partially symmetrical.

2) Improving Drawing with contours using 'E' panel.

3) 2 methods of making hulls - surface based and voxel based (importanf for 3D-printing)

4) GL shaders fixed

5) Bugfixes

non-voxel changes:

1) Improved OBJ import - textures finding method improved

2) New color opertions - replace hue and replace hue/saturation

• Contributor

ALPHA49

freezing when toggling ortho on...fixed

cutting with E panel problems....fixed

gradient ghost when using transform along with akira shaders...fixed! (dx version,Gl version see below)

adding with E panel ....AMAZING! :D

The overall feeling is very much like working in a complete,finished program even if is alpha B)

happy voxing everyone :brush:

thanx Andrew!

little problem:in GLversion all akira's shaders are displayed without shading

a very small problem compared to all the bug fixes,

EDIT:I also get a significative performance boost for some magical reasons

• Advanced Member
little problem:in GLversion all akira's shaders are displayed without shading

a very small problem compared to all the bug fixes,

Not all of them :) , only on PicMat shaders.

It seems Andrew commented out line 26 of each PicMat shader in GL version, don't know why but this line shouldn't have been commented.

v_Normal=(vec4(Normal, 0.0) * g_WorldViewMatrix).xyz;

It's the view space normal used to sample the shader ball texture.

akira.

• Advanced Member

People generally retopo becuase they want the topology to flow with the model's form, for purposes like animation, adding more details or optimizing for a games model. I assume the automatic quadrangulation will not flow with the models geometry, so I can't see under what circumstance it will be useful, Unless it was possible to set guides to how it Quadrulates.

Or an I'm missing something?

• Advanced Member
People generally retopo becuase they want the topology to flow with the model's form, for purposes like animation, adding more details or optimizing for a games model. I assume the automatic quadrangulation will not flow with the models geometry, so I can't see under what circumstance it will be useful, Unless it was possible to set guides to how it Quadrulates.

So you think Andrew doesn't understand what retopo is for?

• Advanced Member
I don't know who came up with Lamblight, but that's still messed up since the past several alphas. The color / shading changes when you increase res. and sometimes when you zoom the camera in.

It's because the fresnel factor which controls edge glowing becomes too high when the camera is getting too close to the model.

Currently the camera get closer to our model each time when we increase resolution, this problem won't happen if you zoom out or switch to ortho-projection mode.

I don't have enough time to improve this issue for now, so be patient please :).

akira.

• Advanced Member

Hey PoopaScoop,

My understanding is that people doing renders or stills or other non-animation dependent stuff were pushing for this. Not having a need to do proper topology they could do their voxel sculpt and then either continue painting on a lower rez polygon version quickly after or send it off to zbrush or mudbox for further detailing or rendering in another app. I didn't really think I'd have much use for it since most of my stuff goes on to be rigged and animated, but I might try using quadrangulation as a way to further detail in zbrush too. I think I was expecting to have more control over the resolution of the quad mesh that gets generated. None of the initial settings seemed to provide that. Subdividing from the topology menu kinda works though - assuming you'd need higher rez. Will see what later builds can do though I guess.

• Advanced Member

I think you can use this for animation. I really do. And Andrew is likely to want to improve upon it over time. Of course you'll probably want to edit it afterwards. But who knows he may implement some tools (ie control points) that help you help the program do it just the way you like it. Like forinstance

if you can like tag a part of the mesh to tell it that, "this is a finger so retopo it like a cylinder" maybe you can then paint the area that you think is going to be a joint

or, "this is the head, so I want you to make a circle around anything that resembles an oriface"

or something like that

I have finally freed myself from Maya a bit and was able to get on with my short film using 3Dcoat. I must admit I'm quite amazed indeed. Great work so far Andrew! :)

I have tested the quadrangulation capabilities and for a first attempt, again, very impressive. Included is an image of the latest model I'm working on. My workflow, as of now, would be: quadrangulation, import to Maya, some minor poly relaxing and poly reducing, animation using FFD's and dynamic nCloth simulation. Even rigging with a classical bones setup would work although if you're more into photorealistic modeling/animation, you'll want a somewhat more refined edgeflow. Still this is the first go with quadrangulation. I'm sure there will be additional tools to control polygon spreading in the future. Just remember Alpha1 and the way it evolved :)post-881-1231902545_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

oh no there is a bug where if I quadralate a voxel during one session, then close the program and later on use it again to quadrangulate a different voxel, that the program gets confused and then loads the old retop'd mesh and displays it without actually retop'ing the new voxel. What files do I have to send you or do you want screenshots

thanks!