3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

For me also carve doesn't work.

I have found a problem,using ortho-projection give lag and slowdown problems in navigation(rotating,zooming,panning)

Perspective view is fast and smooth in navigation,ortho projection isn't fluid and smooth,it's difficoult to navigate.

Ortho view are really important for doing work with right proportion

• Advanced Member
For me also carve doesn't work.

I have found a problem,using ortho-projection give lag and slowdown problems in navigation(rotating,zooming,panning)

Perspective view is fast and smooth in navigation,ortho projection isn't fluid and smooth,it's difficoult to navigate.

Ortho view are really important for doing work with right proportion

Confirmed! Having "incremental render on" gives laggy viewport navigation in ortho mode. :)

You mentioning that reminded me of something:

I love having a true perspective view in 3dcoat instead of zbrush's weird perspective fake which changes with model size but... There is no way to choose the fov (field of view) for your view. This is a bit of a bummer. Might be too early to request it but still its very important to judge your model correctly.

Also, unless i am mistaken, zooming in and out is done by changing the fov? In other words the view acts like a real camera zooming in and out by changing the field of view. This is really unwanted behavior. Or, to put it politically correct; i want to very strongly suggest having this as an option or as a seperate zoom command.

When i want to zoom in on my model i actually want the camera to be moved closer to the object NOT changing the fov (and thereby the perspective) each time i want to get a closer look. When i zoom in really close to my model the way it is now i get so much perspective distortion i almost feel like im looking through a fisheye lens.

3dioot

I'm not sure what Cubic Interpolation is supposed to do. Aside from the lack of symmetry it seems to be the same thing with it on or off. I can also confirm that Carve & 2D Paint are broken.

Edit: There's a problem with Spray / Thaw too. If you turn off Grow On Pen Motion Spray acts like it's a Smooth tool. Thaw is fine.

Edit 2: I restarted and S/T seemed fine, then I switched to Fill and 3DC locked up and almost crashed but eventually recovered. But I had lost the yellow and red parts of my crsor. Just a little + was left. I restarted the program again and still just have a + sign.

Edit 3: Nevermind the cursor is back now.

• Advanced Member
Also, unless i am mistaken, zooming in and out is done by changing the fov? In other words the view acts like a real camera zooming in and out by changing the field of view. This is really unwanted behavior. Or, to put it politically correct; i want to very strongly suggest having this as an option or as a seperate zoom command.

When i want to zoom in on my model i actually want the camera to be moved closer to the object NOT changing the fov (and thereby the perspective) each time i want to get a closer look. When i zoom in really close to my model the way it is now i get so much perspective distortion i almost feel like im looking through a fisheye lens.

3dioot

Nah... Try zooming in/out by changing the fov of camera in your 3d app, you'll find 3DC doesn't act that way.

3DC zoom in/out by moving camera position just like other 3d apps, the issue you mentioned is because of the camera fov 3DC uses is a little too wide.

akira.

• Advanced Member

2 good news.

The ortho bug is gone away,now works well with 34a(but in ortho mode there is still a bug I forgot to mention for ortho projection,sometimes some parts of the model disappear,far away from camera(not near),like when the camera clipping plane is too short,going in perspective and after going again in ortho fix this)

Most important,the bug I pointed out several time seems gone away!(I was able to work more than 4 hours without problems,before after 1 hour I always had to close and exit)

Maybe is too early to be happy,but for now seems fixed :)

I'm happy.

Thanks

• Advanced Member

Aaargh!

I speak too early,apoligize for that!

The bug is still here,using the clay brush on a sculpt causes hole(after long time work),visually is like using the hide brush.

If you do only one stroke you can undo,if you do more than one stroke undo doesn't work anymore,and the program give " out of memory,you should increase the amount of virtual memory"

• Advanced Member

It's still very confusing where exactly new releases are posted, are they on page 1 or are they somewhere deeper down in the thread ? updates should be posted in a thread where only Andrew himself can post so it won't be filled with tons of other comments by every user on the forum. It makes it a nightmare to locate the updates each time they're released. Which is why i haven't bothered to try a beta for a very long time now..

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member
It's still very confusing where exactly new releases are posted, are they on page 1 or are they somewhere deeper down in the thread ?

/ Magnus

hai!,

The update is always on post 1 of this thread. I personally find it's really easy this way..

and I like following progress in a single thread.

• Advanced Member
Nah... Try zooming in/out by changing the fov of camera in your 3d app, you'll find 3DC doesn't act that way.

3DC zoom in/out by moving camera position just like other 3d apps, the issue you mentioned is because of the camera fov 3DC uses is a little too wide.

akira.

Seems your right. I tested full fov zoom in 3dsmax and the effect is more extreme then it is in 3dcoat. In that case ill strip my request of the zoom part. :) I would still like to control the fov of the camera so i can decrease it a little bit.

Thanks Akira!

It's still very confusing where exactly new releases are posted, are they on page 1 or are they somewhere deeper down in the thread ? updates should be posted in a thread where only Andrew himself can post so it won't be filled with tons of other comments by every user on the forum. It makes it a nightmare to locate the updates each time they're released. Which is why i haven't bothered to try a beta for a very long time now..

/ Magnus

The download in the first page is the most recent one. The executables have a number in their name so you can see wether its newer then the one you are working with. It may not be the best way but its hardly a valid reason not to test the alpha. Your choice though. :)

3dioot

Ok guys, thanks for your reply. However i scrolled through this thread and found numerous betaversions posted on some random pages which is what's the root of my confusion.

/ Magnus

They were new at the time that they were posted. I guess if you didn't follow the thread it might have been confusing at first, but Andrew is now numbering the file in the link, so it's easy to compare the one you currently have with the number in the link.

• Advanced Member

About the orthographic problem,as you sculpt and increase resolution becomes more annoying.

Look at this,my last try(lion wip started from the base sphere),here is perspective

Perspective.jpg

here is ortho,I think is a clipping plane problem(I don't know if exist some option to change it)

Ortho.jpg

I also find sometimes some problem with random little cubes outside sculpt,like this,if I try to delete them they simply move far from the model

Error.jpg

Btw,working with volumetric sculpt is really fun :)

Bye

• Advanced Member

Woah! Thats a beautifull lion man. I love his pose, his claws.. everything really. :)

About the floating "dirt". Ive had those too. I either smooth them until they disappear or i use lasso select to cut them away. That worked for me in the past. I dont know what process you use to "erase" them which moves them away instead of erasing?

Also i really think that lion deserves its own thread in the volumetric wip thread. :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member
About the orthographic problem,as you sculpt and increase resolution becomes more annoying.

Look at this,my last try(lion wip started from the base sphere),here is perspective

here is ortho,I think is a clipping plane problem(I don't know if exist some option to change it)

I also find sometimes some problem with random little cubes outside sculpt,like this,if I try to delete them they simply move far from the model

Btw,working with volumetric sculpt is really fun :)

Bye

18 millions of triangles ??? What pc configuration are you using ?

Incredible work!

I also would like to see a tutorial or more info of what tool you used, it would be amazing.

WOW! Really nice lions!

Now i'm testing sculpting with 16 million tris.

it laggy but can do something with it. I know this is alpha stage and thats why it think this is going to be GREAT!

Could work for a while and then crash and out of memory.

My specs are

- 2 x xeon quad 2.33 mgz

- 6 GB mem

- nvidia Quadrofx 570

WOW! Really nice lions!

Now i'm testing sculpting with 16 million tris.

it laggy but can do something with it. I know this is alpha stage and thats why it think this is going to be GREAT!

Could work for a while and then crash and out of memory.

My specs are

- 2 x xeon quad 2.33 mgz

- 6 GB mem

- nvidia Quadrofx 570

OSX/Win?

Also, have you turned off shadow? It slows down much at huge polycount.

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys,good work tree321 :)

Bluego,the tools used are clay,extrude and move,I always start from the base sphere and after I move this sphere parts to shape the volume.

Even if my system can handle 18 millions(4 giga vista 32,quad 6600),isn't so easy,as sometimes there is some crashes and,this is a bit problematic,if you move big part of the volume you can go out of memory.

This is a bit a problem,because means that you had to be really good at finding proportions only when the resolution is low,if you go up,even if is fast enough to manipulate,you can't do mistakes(

I use to work with subdivision levels,where you can go up and down)

I hope Andrew can gain something like 20 percent of memory in usage,so this kind of model can be done more easily,now we are a bit at the limits

Bye

• Advanced Member
Thanks guys,good work tree321 :)

Bluego,the tools used are clay,extrude and move,I always start from the base sphere and after I move this sphere parts to shape the volume.

Even if my system can handle 18 millions(4 giga vista 32,quad 6600),isn't so easy,as sometimes there is some crashes and,this is a bit problematic,if you move big part of the volume you can go out of memory.

This is a bit a problem,because means that you had to be really good at finding proportions only when the resolution is low,if you go up,even if is fast enough to manipulate,you can't do mistakes(

I use to work with subdivision levels,where you can go up and down)

I hope Andrew can gain something like 20 percent of memory in usage,so this kind of model can be done more easily,now we are a bit at the limits

Bye

Thank you for the explanation :)

This is why I hope there will be some sort of subdivision levels.

• Advanced Member
Thank you for the explanation :)

This is why I hope there will be some sort of subdivision levels.

Yeah, that's my dream too.

Switching back and forth between subD levels requires same topological structure of the model.

That's the reason why it's hard to implement this feature in voxel modeling, because topology changes each time when we paint.

3DC will be one ring to rule them all if this feature comes true. :)

akira.

• Advanced Member
Yeah, that's my dream too.

Switching back and forth between subD levels requires same topological structure of the model.

That's the reason why it's hard to implement this feature in voxel modeling, because topology changes each time when we paint.

3DC will be one ring to rule them all if this feature comes true. :)

akira.

Yes, you're right, it could be very hard implementing them. But if I have a cube of 16x16x16 voxel, I think I could reconstruct a cube of 8x8x8 voxel, adjusting it, and report the volume changes to the original grid... emh, I don't have any idea of how this could be done :)