3DCoat Forums

Just a question.

Because tools have to be optimized with CUDA, should not be better if they would be modified and organized first ? I am referring to the carve/clay tool and other things like curved fallofs etc. etc., and the bad straight strokes as noticed other times.

Or this optimization will not interfer with future modifies of the tools ?

Optimisation has nothing with interface. I need to make CUDA to estimate this technology and to start some marketing co-working with NVidia. So it is best time to make it.

• Advanced Member
The functionality has not grown much. Most changes are - CUDA and 64-bit. I will add them to Mac version as soon as I will buy MacBookPro MB470 (I have ordered it for 2275$ but it will be delivered in around 2 weeks)

Good news! Reasonable price, at least 160$ or more cheaper than in China.

I found running Windows on MacBookPro is really hot, while running Mac OS X there's no problem. So I think you would like to stick your programming work on a PC, while doing Mac porting & testing on this MacBookPro. Hope you'll get it soon. :)

• Advanced Member

Om my system(vista 32),cuda doesn't work.

If it's active on startup,nothing is showed.

If I exit after disabling it,when I restart the program and start volumetric sculpt i can see the base sphere.

If I try to sculpt it,without cuda,all works,if I turn cuda enabled,when I do stroke the area painted become transparent,like when you use the hide brush.

• Advanced Member

I have installed the nvidia toolkit,the first time I have launched 3dcoat it asked for cudart.dll,I have put it where 3d coat exe is and the program start and run but how I have told before.

P.S

The nvidia cuda demo run good on my system(physX demonstration)

• Advanced Member
so , to the nvidia users, is cuda living up to expectations, not much reactions on speed upgrade?

Us american's are still busy with Thanksgiving week :lol: I'm downloading alpha 42 now..

I have installed the nvidia toolkit,the first time I have launched 3dcoat it asked for cudart.dll,I have put it where 3d coat exe is and the program start and run but how I have told before.

P.S

The nvidia cuda demo run good on my system(physX demonstration)

try putting the cudart.dll in your system32 folder. Maybe you do need the CUDA SDK also? its so odd to see people still getting this error.

• Advanced Member
try putting the cudart.dll in your system32 folder. Maybe you do need the CUDA SDK also? its so odd to see people still getting this error.

Maybe it's odd for you but -altough I didn't still try to install the CUDA versions- I could do ithis error. You may thing I'm a noodle, well I'm just a computer USER, not a hardware geek. It's the same for my car or my TV: I use them nearly every day having only a few and blurry knowledge of how those thing work, believe it or not. As I could find strange if by any chance you know nothing about mitochondrial DNA (that's something I studied a few years ago): as far as I know, you're using it at every second. ;)

so , to the nvidia users, is cuda living up to expectations, not much reactions on speed upgrade?

Well in v41 It seems like with Cuda off everything is really sluggish (pretty much unusable)with Cuda on it feels like normal speed. With Cuda on the whole model gets a boxy appearance like it's made of LEGO bricks. I'll have to try 42 as soon as I get home. Who knows it may be super awesome, after all 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. ;)

v42 DX64 still doesn't work , don't know if that was known. GL64 I have no volumetric mesh. No matter what I do the screen is blank. If I try to merge a mash into the scene I get the gray "virtual" mesh but when I hit Enter nothing happens.

• Advanced Member
As I could find strange if by any chance you know nothing about mitochondrial DNA (that's something I studied a few years ago): as far as I know, you're using it at every second. ;)

Becausing learning about DNA doesn't pay the bills for me ;) 3DCG does though :)

v42 DX64 still doesn't work , don't know if that was known. GL64 I have no volumetric mesh. No matter what I do the screen is blank. If I try to merge a mash into the scene I get the gray "virtual" mesh but when I hit Enter nothing happens.

alpha 42 DX/GL version,both work fine for me Vista 64 bit. Merging works also.

• Advanced Member
Becausing learning about DNA doesn't pay the bills for me ;) 3DCG does though :)

Sorry, SonK, I must admit than if it's a part of your business, you may find newbies like me a bit, well, a bit stupid, :lol:

As I must admit than I've forgotten most of all I knew about mitochondrias :lol: :lol:

Anyway, great soft, thanks to Andrew.

Nice modeling to all !

• Advanced Member
Om my system(vista 32),cuda doesn't work.

If it's active on startup,nothing is showed.

If I exit after disabling it,when I restart the program and start volumetric sculpt i can see the base sphere.

If I try to sculpt it,without cuda,all works,if I turn cuda enabled,when I do stroke the area painted become transparent,like when you use the hide brush.

Same thing happens to me. This is what I was asking about cuda compatibility. Different brands, different models, different os.

I used it on leadtek winfast 8400gs with winxp32. I'll try it on my laptop with a 7300go.

• Advanced Member
Sorry, SonK, I must admit than if it's a part of your business, you may find newbies like me a bit, well, a bit stupid, :lol:

As I must admit than I've forgotten most of all I knew about mitochondrias :lol: :lol:

Anyway, great soft, thanks to Andrew.

Nice modeling to all !

No, not at all. I was just perplex about why some people are having that error, while others aren't :huh: I hope it'll be a easy bug to fix for Andrew! Its even stranger since i can not get any of the CUDA application from nVidia site to work...but 3DC works( weird huh).

• Advanced Member
To get it to work you need:

1) Go to

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

2) Choose your OS and download CUDA 2.1 BETA:

- driver

- toolkit

and install both of them

Sometimes you have driver and toolkit but they are older then CUDA 2.1 BETA so it does not works.

yep installed that before.

CudaSetup-win32-rel-nightly-2.1.1635-3046817

180.60_CUDA_XP_beta

• Advanced Member
hmmm..cuda doesn't support my 7300go that's why.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

so does it mean I can't use 3dc in my laptop at all? crashes the instant i hit the voxel button not even giving me the chance to disable cuda.

I am in the same situation as geo_n I use a laptop which has a 6100go and is currently my only computer due to lack of space.

• Advanced Member

Ok,now works.

I installed cuda driver from nvidia,before not as my nvidia driver have cuda allready(in theory new nvidia driver should have cuda,infact the cuda demo worked previously,maybe the official driver have cuda 2 and not 2.1).

Btw,now all works fine.

when cuda is enabled,using big clay brush give some artifact,the speed seems to me similar,but i have to test more.

Ok,now works.

I installed cuda driver from nvidia,before not as my nvidia driver have cuda allready(in theory new nvidia driver should have cuda,infact the cuda demo worked previously,maybe the official driver have cuda 2 and not 2.1).

Btw,now all works fine.

when cuda is enabled,using big clay brush give some artifact,the speed seems to me similar,but i have to test more.

Yes, it is important to install latest CUDA drivers from the link that I have given. Othervice it will not work!

What do you mean "similar"? Speed with Cuda and without? What video do you use?

What pan radius have you used to get artifacts?