3DCoat Forums

Well I think my problem may be local in the end. I have just purchased a license for version2 :D but V3 alpha still crashes in the same way.

Anyway, new alpha version that crashes aside- I'm pleased to be here properly now..

Please describe situation better:

1) Does release version runs fine?

2) Does all - DX, GL, DX64, GL64 of ALPHA crash?

3) What is your OS/Video card/VRAM/RAM/CPU ?

About Linux - maybe I will create separate thread to get to know if you want 3DC for Linux. I must know how is it desirable. But anyway it can't be done immediately. It is not complex because almost all is ready (GL+gcc compatible version) but Mac guy is slightly busy now with his own project.

Thanks for that Andrew. I'm sure there will be a few people interested in a linux version

• Advanced Member
Andrew,you should have play with mudbox2009 demo,I really don't understand why it can support so hight detail,CUDA can help that in 3dc?

Voxels take lots of memory. You'll need 64 bit and lots of memory if you want similar detail levels to Mudbox.

Please describe situation better:

1) Does release version runs fine?

2) Does all - DX, GL, DX64, GL64 of ALPHA crash?

3) What is your OS/Video card/VRAM/RAM/CPU ?

Hi-

1) Yes, normal release version works fine (I assume you mean the version I paid for)

2) Yes, all the ones that i try crash- DX and GL. I can't try the 64 versions as I'm on 32bit.

3)

XP Professional Service Pack 2 (32 bit)

NVidia GeForce 8800 GT

CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM = 3.00Gb

VRAM= I have it set at 4096, on the first partition on a seperate physical drive from the OS. Not sure if it's set up correctly. Both physical drives have a few partitions on them which I did when installed the OS.

Thanks

PS I sent one of those bug report things last night too with my email address so you know it's me in case it helps..

Hi-

1) Yes, normal release version works fine (I assume you mean the version I paid for)

2) Yes, all the ones that i try crash- DX and GL. I can't try the 64 versions as I'm on 32bit.

3)

XP Professional Service Pack 2 (32 bit)

NVidia GeForce 8800 GT

CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM = 3.00Gb

VRAM= I have it set at 4096, on the first partition on a seperate physical drive from the OS. Not sure if it's set up correctly. Both physical drives have a few partitions on them which I did when installed the OS.

Thanks

PS I sent one of those bug report things last night too with my email address so you know it's me in case it helps..

All is clear. You are using V39 as ALPHA. It crashes ALWAYS on 32-bit. But V40 (last one) is stable and works fine. Please re-download by the link on the first page.

• Advanced Member
Andrew, every time i try to convert a sculpt much over 2.5 mil polys into polygons my 3DC crashes with an out of memory error. 3DC says i still have over 1500mb free.

I have the same problem,ok,my meshes are huge,but the free memory is 1 giga.

Btw, I have seen today that ATI announced Stream technology. 10 of December they will upload drivers to support this technology. It is similar to CUDA in some way. It is very good news for ATI users, as soon they will make this technology public, I will discover and implement it.

don't know if this is something you can use already,

http://ati.amd.com/technology/streamcomputing/sdkdwnld.html

also interesting

http://developer.amd.com/GPU/Pages/default.aspx

and some samples it seems

http://developer.amd.com/samples/Pages/def...spx#gpu_samples

• Advanced Member

I converted a 3 million poly voxel mesh into polygons and started to retopo it - no crashes to report - but man, performance for 3 million voxels was a bit disappointing. Maybe my expectations are too high though? Sculpting has become very sluggish on my 64 bit vista machine with 8 gigs and nVidia 8800GT (alpha build 40).

I'm pretty happy with how the voxel sculpting tools handle for the most part. I find it much easier to 'sketch' out a medium rez mesh using voxels than starting with Zspheres. The independence from topology really makes a huge difference when you are just playing with shapes and form in the beginning. Hopefully performance will go up, as I'd love to be able to block out complete characters with this tool. Even if it never gets much better on the polygon sculpting side I can always take my retopologized meshes over to zbrush to finish off. 3dcoat doesn't have to be awesome at everything for me. I'd be happy with voxel sculpting and retopology and improved painting on low rez meshes if I had to narrow my needs/wants down. Those are the 3 most important things for me.

If one could bake normal/displacement maps and retopologize directly from a voxel mesh, it would eliminate the need to convert high rez voxel meshes into polygons at all. I'm not even sure if that's possible though as I don't know much about the tech behind it all.

Here's a link to the sketch I started with this build for reference:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1850

• Advanced Member
Andrew, every time i try to convert a sculpt much over 2.5 mil polys into polygons my 3DC crashes with an out of memory error. 3DC says i still have over 1500mb free.

Same problem on my mac. The hope I have is that Andrew can come up with a way to simplify the mesh using polygons and at the same time create a displacement map. Cuda and 32 million tris is great and all but really need a way to get the mesh out of 3d-coat :)

Im retopoing the John Carter WIP mesh and while it working fine its very time consuming :mellow:

• Advanced Member
If one could bake normal/displacement maps and retopologize directly from a voxel mesh, it would eliminate the need to convert high rez voxel meshes into polygons at all. I'm not even sure if that's possible though as I don't know much about the tech behind it all.

You can retopo in the volumetric sculpts there is no need to convert to polygons. After you sculpt click on the retopo tools and the volumetric sculpt is available for you to retopo on. Thats how I am doing it.

• Advanced Member
You can retopo in the volumetric sculpts there is no need to convert to polygons. After you sculpt click on the retopo tools and the volumetric sculpt is available for you to retopo on. Thats how I am doing it.

Awesome! I didn't even think to try that, and just assumed it had to be converted. Thanks for the info =]

The thing I'm wondering about that I haven't tried is where you've got a high res VS model, you retopo it, then is there a way to bake the detail into a normal map from the VS model? Maybe that's a dumb question but if it's already possible I probably wouldn't figure it out until I tried it.

• Advanced Member
The thing I'm wondering about that I haven't tried is where you've got a high res VS model, you retopo it, then is there a way to bake the detail into a normal map from the VS model? Maybe that's a dumb question but if it's already possible I probably wouldn't figure it out until I tried it.

Yes

Once you have the model retopoed and you have uv mapped it go to "merge into scene" 3d-coat will then make the displacement and normal map for the model. This is how I did the octopus. The smoothing of the model is better now but it is still a bit rough so you might have to do some work to smooth it out more. Other wise it works very well

• Advanced Member
I converted a 3 million poly voxel mesh into polygons and started to retopo it - no crashes to report - but man, performance for 3 million voxels was a bit disappointing. Maybe my expectations are too high though? Sculpting has become very sluggish on my 64 bit vista machine with 8 gigs and nVidia 8800GT (alpha build 40).

...]

Hi JamesE, I don't remember when, but Andrew had implemented retop directly on Voxel model, so actually you don't need convert it to polygons for retopo.

Retopo directly on Voxel model is much more fast.

• Advanced Member

Hmm, just tested alpha 40 64-bit version, on start up i have 15660 MB free, after sculpting i can only reach 14 triangles(not enough ram to increase resolution again). Seems like a low number, considering i have 8 GB of ram? Curve tool works"differently" at higher resolution(seen in the picture). I can easily reach 32 million QUADS in Mudbox 2009 64-bit.

post-564-1226765794_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

What I gathering from the memory crashes it that 3dcoat only using physical memory and when it runs out it crashes. Changing the Virtual memory and made no difference, even when set to itis maximum of 4096 (in Winxp). Shouldn't virtual memory work just like physical memory, but just alot slower?

• Advanced Member

Ugg, I keep saving in the defualt user folder then uninstalling and it deletes everything I've done >.< hours down the drain. I keep doing this every version >.<, I know I should have learnt by now, but no bodies perfect.

Anyway you can change the defualt folder or leave files 3dcoat didn't install?! Or better still anyway I can retreive that work? A whole day gone down the drain >.<

I save everything into a folder called [username]/Documents/3DC_Content/[Project folder] No chance of an installer messing things up that way. You might be able to rescue you're work if you were using autosave, the autosave saves as a different file.

• Advanced Member
Hmm, just tested alpha 40 64-bit version, on start up i have 15660 MB free, after sculpting i can only reach 14 triangles(not enough ram to increase resolution again). Seems like a low number, considering i have 8 GB of ram? Curve tool works"differently" at higher resolution(seen in the picture). I can easily reach 32 million QUADS in Mudbox 2009 64-bit.

You can easily reach the same amount of polygons in 3DCoat, but it seems that increase resolution doesn't work properly.

I was able to reach 70Millions tris by scribbling my screen with Sphere tool before I was bored to do so, but I am stuck at around 17-18 tris with increase resolution, I can go further it always crash.

And I also had 8GB memory.

• Advanced Member
I save everything into a folder called [username]/Documents/3DC_Content/[Project folder] No chance of an installer messing things up that way. You might be able to rescue you're work if you were using autosave, the autosave saves as a different file.

Autosave is a 3b file, even if it's where true that it was a different file, all files in the 3dcoat director get deleted.