3DCoat Forums

Feature requests

• Advanced Member

@Psmith:

That's what I meant by a mix of 2D paint and carve, I meant a tool like 2D plan who could grow blob of clay in space and not just hemisphere (that's what I wrote on Jokermax thread but I forgot to add it there).

But what I don't like about 2D paint is that you always have to right click to redefine your plane and it would be nice to have an option to make it base on screen space.

But yes you're right improving 2D paint will make the job

And if I can add:

Local subdivision:

Is it possible to make a local subdivision with VS?

That could help to increase the performance if you can control the number of marching cubes you got in a finer way.

the 2d paint tool would be great for blocking in volume if it were fixed up a bit. the hemisphere that is flat on the side facing the screen and round on the back is very annoying. I expect it to just be round centered on the plane.

but the big thing that needs work is easily and intuitively setting where the plane sits. if it were so easy to get the plane exactly where you wanted without having to think about it very much it would be awesome.

I just watched this video yesterday and it made me think of this situation. it's pretty damn elegant, everyone should watch it.

http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~shbae/ilovesketch.htm

I also love being able to use the freehand tool to cut away large chunks from a model, but we need to be able to hold ctrl and ADD to the volume. that would rock.

between that, 2d paint, curves, being able to mask and move, and layers for adding primitives and moving them around, we would be set.

@Psmith:

That's what I meant by a mix of 2D paint and carve, I meant a tool like 2D plan who could grow blob of clay in space and not just hemisphere (that's what I wrote on Jokermax thread but I forgot to add it there).

But what I don't like about 2D paint is that you always have to right click to redefine your plane and it would be nice to have an option to make it base on screen space.

But yes you're right improving 2D paint will make the job

And if I can add:

Local subdivision:

Is it possible to make a local subdivision with VS?

That could help to increase the performance if you can control the number of marching cubes you got in a finer way.

You can already use "2D Paint" in the plane of the screen: Just right click anywhere in empty space, and the painting "plane" is set parallel to whatever view you happen to be looking from.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
You can already use "2D Paint" in the plane of the screen: Just right click anywhere in empty space, and the painting "plane" is set parallel to whatever view you happen to be looking from.

Psmith

I think you didn't understand me, I will try to explain it better.

For the moment you have to right click to set your plane, everytime you right click the plane is base on screenspace and after it stay the same until you right click.

But what would be nice is to have the ability to always sculpt in screen space without having to right click.

The plane would be refreshed everytime you move your camera, and the plane would disappear ,because it's useless in this mode.

I don't want to see the current plane being replaced but want to see an other mode (screen space) where you don't have to right click everytime you move your camera.

But I'm not at home and I am unable to test the new release, so "Build' may already do this.

Just want to clarify what I meant.

But what would be nice is to have the ability to always sculpt in screen space without having to right click.

The plane would be refreshed everytime you move your camera, and the plane would disappear ,because it's useless in this mode.

I don't want to see the current plane being replaced but want to see an other mode (screen space) where you don't have to right click everytime you move your camera.

always sculpting in screen space would be nice. then you would just need some way of determining how far back the plane sits.

• Advanced Member
You could do it like this:

-First stroke on the model define the depth of the stroke

-Then you build your form depending on screen space or surface's normal (that can be an user defined option)

That's what I talked about on previous post.

And from what I saw that's how the current 2D-Paint works.

If you right click on the surface the plane will be set on the depth of the surface under your cursor.

If you do it in realtime, (everytime you do a stroke on the surface it calculate the new depth) you got the tool :)

• Advanced Member

I order to scale up and down the voxel sculpting, i'd like to be able to

- convert the voxels to polygons (already done)

-when i clear the scene, i'd like to be able to select as a new model (and scale it up and down) the previously generated polygon mesh

The Increase resolution has a problem : the voxels are not interpolated, and the model looks faceted

• Advanced Member

There is a famous paper from Pixal called:

An Irradiance Atlas for Global Illumination

in Complex Production Scenes

link: http://graphics.pixar.com/IrradianceAtlas/paper.pdf

maybe you have already read about it, they talked about using an octree to store voxel data of a scene.

I think this kind of data structure may be useful for multi-resolution voxel editing.

regards,

akira.

post-751-1223707576_thumb.jpg

Export of "To Polygons" raw mesh

I am working on an object that is as I want it and I dont need to retopo it - I just want to export the mesh as is for render in LW.

Is this actually possible - I keep getting "the object is empty" type error messages - and whilst there are pointers, there are no polygons in the reference mesh created.

Here is a grab of the VX model.

If it is not possible, could we please have the option to export the VX skin directly?

3DBob

post-709-1223725469_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Can you add a way of removing a polygon mesh from the scene - I can't find a way of doing this without using 'new' which destroys the voxel sculpt. Even importing a model (which I would have expected to just 'merge' into the scene) wipes the sculpt back to a sphere.

This is about as much 'scene management' as you need for this program :)

• Advanced Member
You could just choose a brush tip from the upper left, like square or one of the marquee options, and use it to "select" the entire model, then it will disappear.

Sorry, this doesn't work for polygon objects - only voxels. :(

In my specific case I have a polygon model created using the "to polygons" button - and I want to remove it from the scene without harming my original sculpt. More generally, this feature will come in for a variety of scene management tasks, e.g. keeping the size of the 3b file down, etc.

• Advanced Member

-Curves:

It could be nice to be able to choose the hardness of a dot when you are creating a curve.

For the moment you got the choice between full hardness or no hardness at all.

Having a numerical choice can be usefull for creating base mesh with curves.

topology

i suggest an alpha"transparant" slider for the reference mesh or vox mesh, ive done a couple of retopo's now, and sometimes it hard to see what your doiing in some places

so that i imported it into silo to have a look what i realy had

the adjust mesh sliders can help but sometimes it intersect and get messy, also with additional extrude you have to search for the right vertice on the snapping surface

maybe they wont be needed anymore with this option

what also could be a visual help is that the topolines-edges width is 2 or 3px but should be an option

on a sidenote-sometimes vertices dont get deleted but you cant select them anymore mostly on deleting rings and loops

• Advanced Member

Would it by any chance be possible to convert point-cloud-data or raw scanmeshes directly from a 3D-scanner into clay?

3D scaning a concept which has been started in e.g. modeling-clay and then symmetrizing the result and adding further

details could prove tremendously helpful for Industrial Design processes! The result could either get retopo'ed to

a low poly mesh and be converted to Nurbs via Tsplines or traditional Reverse-Engineering programs could get used on

the HiRes mesh in order to come up with a Nurbs-Solid suitable for Rapid-Prototyping/Production.

Holger

• Advanced Member

To me it seems that Voxel sculpting is not necessarily limited to amorph organic sculpting but could generally also get used for giving things relatively precise shapes.

Maybe here imported curves could help for as long as 3DCoat does not provide a toolset to create those. Technical objects in most cases have precise features.

I found it interesting to get parametric brushes which could create say a 5mm* fillet around an object or create a customizable array of holes of defined depth.

When the result of such a voxel session was saved as a high density mesh and brought to a Reverse Engineering program with feature recognition (like Rapidform for example

www.rapidform.com) the sculpt could quickly get converted to producable geometry.

*at least as close as Voxels can be

Hello together.

I have a feature request for "procedural brushes" in 3DC.

The attached image explains the idea.

It is nothing "special", but very useful, I guess. Everyone knows it from another tools in similiar form.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

post-955-1223920519_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hello together.

It is nothing "special", but very useful, I guess. Everyone knows it from another tools in similiar form.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

I love the procedural brushes too!

further more,I really hope some day 3dc will support svg vector brushes!

• Advanced Member
Hello together.

Hope you like it.

Be creative

Chris

Nice mock up and excellent idea. :)

Ive been asking for brush profile curves for a while now. Andrew is working on brushes now i think so i hope we will get something like this soon.

3dioot