3DCoat Forums

Cant UV this

This mesh seems fine in EVERY program except 3dc (zbrush, maya, max etc) However, when I try to UV in 3dc it crashes every time. I have tried rebuilding this mesh, retopo, extracting half of it etc. Can someone take a look and see if there is anything I am missing? Thanks in advance. 

Wm-03_low_2.OBJ

Edited by morgan

HI carlosan, I can open the file and even make a few edits. But, eventually the file crashes. I can UV this model in another program but mostly I want to know why it is crashing. What is curious is that this geo has been rebuilt several times and all of the iterations crash. Its dumbfounding

Edited by morgan

• Reputable Contributor

I checked the obj file itself in a text editor and you have invalid characters at the end of the file marked in Red... Once I removed these and saved the obj file then loaded that file into 3DCoat I was able to clear the seams and run auto-seams and then upwrap it without crashing 3DC. I ran this test because if I did clear seams, then auto seams and unwrapped it would crash 3DC everytime before I removed the errors reported in the original obj file.

Open the obj file in a text editor removing the invalid characters at the end or use the obj file I uploaded.

3DC is very picky about the file structure, some programs will by pass errors and load the file. This is a good thing that 3DC does as it a wake up call to check the file structure if possible.

I uploaded some pictures as well, the error and the auto unwrap.

You did not say what kind of retopo editing you were doing but test the file I uploaded. I think the file should be good now but I will check some more... I did not check for any other problems like duplicate vertices, etc, etc...

Wm-03_low_22.OBJ

post-518-0-58847400-1420425296_thumb.png

post-518-0-66726500-1420425369_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

digman, thank you VERY MUCH. That was exactly the information I was looking for. I had exhausted my bag of tricks for hunting down problems in a mesh and now have a new approach in the future. That was very informative and very much appreciated!

I tried editing the obj that digiman cleaned and it worked better but still crashed. I will hunt around and see what else I can find. Digiman, what text editor did you use to detect the invalid characters? I opened the .obj in notepad++ and found a null set and an extra space at the bottom but it looked different than the screenshot you provided

After a little more experiments I noticed that: obj's coming out of zbrush consistently have a "null set" at the bottom when I open them in a text editor. This is with both the corrupt mesh I have had trouble with as well as a simple cylinder. Also, if I export the corrupt mesh out of 3DC, then the null set goes away. It seems that the obj is a little different depending on what program I export from

• Reputable Contributor

What kind of editing in 3DCoat are you doing... this would help to narrow down the problem plus what room are you in retopo or uv room.

I had no crashes on my end after several experiments...

I was using the default Linux text editor...

Send me the file you adjusted too and I will check it in my Linux version of 3DC.

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Maybe try this:

1. Backup options.xml file and remove it from 3D-Coat's settings directory.

2. Start 3D-Coat. It will automatically create a new, clean options.xml file.

3.Check if 3D-Coat crashes. If it does, restore your original options.xml, because the problem lies elsewhere.

This helped me several times. Somehow when options.xml gets corrupted, unwrapping some models will crash the program.

• Contributor

Thanks ajz3d for adding this information to the thread I tend to forget about that possible solution.I will make a note of it so not forget in the future.

I imported the original file -> crash on unwrap

Cleaned it up in MeshLab -> crash on unwrap

Imported your file, Dig -> crash on unwrap

Then, I removed options.xml.

Imported the original file -> crash on unwrap

Imported the file processed with MeshLab -> OK

Imported your file -> OK

The mystery deepens; I remade the mesh entirely in retopo room, and the mesh still crashes when I try to unwrap it. Its a dead simple mesh so its hard for me to believe that there is corruption in the authoring: base.OBJ

also, I deleted the options.xml to no avail

Ajz3d---what type of cleaning did you do in meshlab? I would like to reproduce your steps

Edited by morgan

• Contributor

I have no Problem to UV your file now. I use Beta5

Import for UVs, then Autoseams, Sharpseams and Manualseams, no problems with unwraping.

Anyway.

This model is never every remade in Retopo Room, or you have no experiance about Edgeflow.

There are so many glitches. Maybe you have tried to rework your old model but that have an ugly topology, too.

Setting Seams on a nice retopod mesh, gives better UVs and is easier to create your seams.

And you dont run into problems like you have now.

Edited by Malo

• Contributor
The mystery deepens; I remade the mesh entirely in retopo room, and the mesh still crashes when I try to unwrap it. Its a dead simple mesh so its hard for me to believe that there is corruption in the authoring: attachicon.gif base.OBJ

also, I deleted the options.xml to no avail

Ajz3d---what type of cleaning did you do in meshlab? I would like to reproduce your steps

<!DOCTYPE FilterScript>
<FilterScript>
  <filter name="Remove Duplicate Faces"/>
  <filter name="Remove Duplicated Vertex"/>
  <filter name="Remove Zero Area Faces"/>
  <filter name="Remove Unreferenced Vertex"/>
  <filter name="Remove Isolated pieces (wrt Diameter)">
    <Param type="RichAbsPerc" value="0.669358" min="0" name="MinComponentDiag" max="0.743731"/>
  </filter>
  <filter name="Remove Faces from Non Manifold Edges"/>
  <filter name="Select non Manifold Vertices"/>
  <filter name="Delete Selected Vertices"/>
</FilterScript>

Source: http://jasonjuang.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-clean-up-mesh-in-meshlab.html?_escaped_fragment_=#!

However, in this particular case I think it was more about that weird character at the EOF, rather than a broken geo.

Your new mesh from post #16 does not crash on me on unwrapping. At least not if I use Auto Seams.

One more thing you could try is to delete the temp directory in your 3D-Coat config folder. Back up your UI theme prior to doing this (Edit->Preferences->Save Theme), because for some reason it's also stored there.

I tried to open Digimans cleaned version of the OBJ at work (different system) and after two unwraps it crashed too. Also, I deleted the config file and it still crashed. I am also having issues with other files crashing as well. I went ahead and sent the mesh and crash report to support