3DCoat Forums

new CG for voxel ?

otsoa

The best for voxels is the fastest graphic card, you can buy.

But much better is a pc with as much cpu-cores as possible... assign all your cpus to 3dc and you will don't trust your eyes. I've done it with my quadcore, and saw another voxel world. :) If you are using windows, open the task manager and assign all cores to 3dc. Have fun!

Be creative

Chris

• Contributor

But much better is a pc with as much cpu-cores as possible... assign all your cpus to 3dc and you will don't trust your eyes. I've done it with my quadcore, and saw another voxel world. :) If you are using windows, open the task manager and assign all cores to 3dc. Have fun!

Be creative

Chris

Taskmanager Help was not helpful. How is the assignment made?

Be creative

Chris

It seems that all cores are allowed to use for 3DC as for any other program by default.

Please describe more what are you changing in settings. I have attached screenshot with what I am getting by default.

http://screencast.com/t/okYHxxATT6b

It seems that all cores are allowed to use for 3DC as for any other program by default.

Please describe more what are you changing in settings. I have attached screenshot with what I am getting by default.

http://screencast.com/t/okYHxxATT6b

Forget my post. I haven't realised that all cores are assigned to 3DC now. In previous versions of 3DC it was't. I missed this change some time...

Sorry for that.

It is very good, that 3DC is automatically assigned to all cpu cores.

:good:

Best woshes

Chris

Forget my post. I haven't realised that all cores are assigned to 3DC now. In previous versions of 3DC it was't. I missed this change some time...

That might explain why voxels seem speedier to me. I was using the Painting room only for a few updates, so I might have missed the one where that happened.

Sorry for that.

It is very good, that 3DC is automatically assigned to all cpu cores.

:good:

Best woshes

Chris

Strange. I sure they was always assigned to 3DC. Othervice 3DC will lag very very very much. Try to turn off at least one core and you will see.

Strange. I sure they was always assigned to 3DC. Othervice 3DC will lag very very very much. Try to turn off at least one core and you will see.

We had a discussion some time ago, where 3DC assigned all cores, but when you watch the cores, you can see that the cores are used not always. So some people here decided to use other tools, like "CPU control" to assign all cores to 3DC, and this work.

I've checked this problem with the new version just now. I've a quadcore. After starting 3DC first time and using the voxel tools, like Increase, Build or Extrude, then I see in the Task Manager, that 3DC is using only ONE SINGLE core, and this always.

But you can change this. Just swich to the core assignment in Task Manager and choose 3DC. Then assign any core first OFF then ON again(checkbox). If you are skulpting now, you will see, that suddenly two cores are assigned to 3DC and 3DC is as double as fast then at the start. But the problem is: You can't do this with all cores. 3DC seem using maximum two cores at once. This happens on my system. I am using a Q6700 here, not overclocked.

The tool "CPU control" can solve this. If you use it, all cores are assigned correctly to 3DC. Myself uninstalled CPU control, because I had a blue screen crash, when using it. But some people have a big advance with this tool. Now I am assigning a second core by hand, if I need the speed.

A little bit strange. Something is wrong with your start assignment to the cores, Andrew.

Best wishes

Chris

• Contributor
I've checked this problem with the new version just now. I've a quadcore. After starting 3DC first time and using the voxel tools, like Increase, Build or Extrude, then I see in the Task Manager, that 3DC is using only ONE SINGLE core, and this always.

Not me :huh: Im using Intel Q200 cheap quad and affinitty setting is set to all cores whatever voxel tool im using.

• Advanced Member

Can you post screenshot of where you see each core in taskbar? I have winxp and winvista but I only see cpu usage, etc.

• Advanced Member

Windows does this sometimes, its rare and annoying. I have to manually tell it to use all my 4 cores for 3DSMax. My co workers have exactly the same machines as i do and they dont suffer from this. Just one of those things i guess.

geon:

Right click on the process and select 'set affinity' Very handy when you want to multitask while rendering previews :)

Can you post screenshot of where you see each core in taskbar? I have winxp and winvista but I only see cpu usage, etc.

Of course. But this time it is much better... only one core is working. I can do what i want... Switch between the cores, assign them on or off... always only one core is working simultanely.

Best wishes

Chris

post-955-1251726419_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Of course. But this time it is much better... only one core is working. I can do what i want... Switch between the cores, assign them on or off... always only one core ist working simultanely.

Best wishes

Chris

ah I never notice that. I'm using Realtemp to see cores. When I was using only dual core I had SMPseesaw to get cpu affinity. But that program doesn't work on quad or 8core so I haven't checked for cpu affinity anymore.

• Advanced Member

Yeah 3DC uses only one core here too while the CPU affinity is set to all four cores.

One stupid question for Andrew:

Is 3DC multi-threaded?

AFAIK only multi-threaded programs can boost the performance with multi-core CPUs, single thread can't be split to multi-thread automatically by CPU.

akira.