3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.3 updates thread

• Advanced Member

I'm a idiot, the reason why masking the density wasn't working was that the depth was on zero, I must have done that when modelling some other model.

Crashing with retopo is tempermental, sometimes it crashes like crazy then sometimes it's solid as a rock for hours.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm a idoit, the reason why masking the density wasn't working was that the depth was on zero, I must dont that when modelling some other model.

Crashing with retopo is tempermental, sometimes it crashes like crazy then sometimes it's solid as a rock for hours.

Before deleting a layer I often click "Clear." I'd prefer that it only clear the active/selected layer, and not the whole room...but if it is the only layer you have, I would try that. Sometimes I have had some hidden points hidden or hanging out in space (a bug I'm sure), and the only way to rectify the instability is to hit "clear."

• Contributor

It could be nice to jump to a surface mode when importing an already retopo model. A surface mode that could construct multi res meshes. A zbrush like. Half of this already exists in voxels surface mode.

That's what 3dc needs for voxel refinement... with cuda acceleration it could be a game changer against big guns like zbrush. Imagine the freedom of voxel combined with precision and speed of polygons... With autoretopo as bridge between the two you could do almost everything without 3d modeling software.

THAT is actually a feature that is usefull. And I know I should be posting that in feature request, but other have done so for quite a while now and visibility seams way higher on this thread, sadly...

• Reputable Contributor

That's what 3dc needs for voxel refinement... with cuda acceleration it could be a game changer against big guns like zbrush. Imagine the freedom of voxel combined with precision and speed of polygons... With autoretopo as bridge between the two you could do almost everything without 3d modeling software.

THAT is actually a feature that is usefull. And I know I should be posting that in feature request, but other have done so for quite a while now and visibility seams way higher on this thread, sadly...

That is what Surface mode is designed to do...give you the speed of polygonal sculpting, and for the most part, it does just that. However, 3DC would become even more versatile with the Surface mode tools and engine mirrored to the Sculpt Room. I think a good goal for v4 would be perhaps a few major additions like this and multi-thread the rest of the application, then go into some deep consultation with some ZBrush veterans like Leigh Bamforth, Bay Raitt, J. Edwards, etc...to help refine the brushes and sculpting toolset.

• Advanced Member

3.3.13 should be still fully functional

Seriously ... I bet Windows to Linux/OSX ratio is at at least 10:1 for Windows folks, you have Linux/OSX 3.13 version and you still bug one and only dev it's not being updated to 'latest-and-coolest' 3.14 version.

Try to get same level of support from Autodesk or Pixologic.

Still no 3.3.14 for Linux :(

Actually I wanted to do 3.3.14 for OSX and Linux.

I sent sources ... but in 3 days I understood that mac guy has not got my mail (big attachment).

Then he got several "real-life related" problems, it it is still not compiled.

Anyway, almost all versions was compiled for OSX & Linux, such a failure is not often.

• Contributor

FIXED

Andrew I sent a bug report a few minutes ago, I found the cause.

DON'T try to be smart, I discovered that the shadows are much cleaner if you have a high density mesh selected. I created a void voxtool at 256*256. Deleted it later, but it somehow got stuck in the file, everytime I loaded it, simply zooming or rotating around the model created a crash.

Solution: Don't run the software with IZ3D driver, they don't get alongwell with 3dcoat it seems... weird it worked a few minutes before...

• Advanced Member

Auto-retopo is less accurate the more volume it has to cover, regardless of inputted settings. Forexample if I try and auto-retopo a whole character it's likey it will have a hard time doing the characters fingers, but if I split the arm and do it separately it will work, a hell of alot better, even at a localised lower density. Annoying if all you want to do is a quick retopolgy of a character but end up having to try and get each separate parts to match up then have to sew the different meshes together.

• Advanced Member

Please send me the sample to support.

I have sent some samples, none of many Zbrush alphas I tried could be imported.

I have noticed pretty nasty bug which should be fixed also as soon as possible - UVsets which has been created inside of 3DC in UVmode doesn't work with 3DC tools, freeze,fill,import diffuse etc .. wont work at all.3DC see these UVsets but they aren't affected by any tools or operations which makes them useless.

I created UVset,and it's visible in UVset list in UV mode,then applied UVs, but when I select from the list of UVs it shows nothing.In paint mode 3DC shows this UVset but as I said it wont be affected by any tools.Looks like 3DC creates UVset but it's empty ?

Andrew I was wondering if the report I sent made it through. I sent it with the autoreport feature. for some reason whenever I try to autoretopo something when it goes to load the file it tries to read my DVD Disk Drive and then crashes.

Earlier updates id loaded fine just seems like with the last 2 updates it tries to load from the dvd disk drive even though I selected the file on my Hard Drive.

Joe

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if this the right topic but how can I download an older version of 3DC?

The last mac build has an issue with memory when manually re-topo. After a few clicks (some 200 faces, a note says something about increasing virtual memory on the MACOSX build). And crashes as I don't know how to increase vm in a unix system LOL. Please don't ask me to post the file because it just crashes. The same voxel model I just exported using autoretopo tool! You may have a look in the WIP topic.

• Contributor

I'm not sure if this the right topic but how can I download an older version of 3DC?

The last mac build has an issue with memory when manually re-topo. After a few clicks (some 200 faces, a note says something about increasing virtual memory on the MACOSX build). And crashes as I don't know how to increase vm in a unix system LOL. Please don't ask me to post the file because it just crashes. The same voxel model I just exported using autoretopo tool! You may have a look in the WIP topic.

Copy/Paste latest build Url to web browser but replace version number with the number you want.

Thanks to Pilgway,a lot of older build seem to be kept on server at all time,it is very useful when beta testing. :)

I uploaded preliminary 3.5.00 build on server (Win + Mac). Links are on the first page. I plan to make it public tomorrow.

I will be thankful if you will check if there is nothing too terrible.

All changes are listed in twitter + "Depth" shader just to test new shading technology.

Please put feedback right there in this thread.

• Contributor

I uploaded preliminary 3.5.00 build on server (Win + Mac). Links are on the first page. I plan to make it public tomorrow.

I will be thankful if you will check if there is nothing too terrible.

All changes are listed in twitter + "Depth" shader just to test new shading technology.

Awesome! :)

Testing new shading technology right away,I will report back in associated issues thread in 1 hour or 2.

Andrew:

The major symmetry bug is still present and can be observed by following this routine:

1) Create a symmetrical voxel object.

2) Right click on voxel layer in tree and select "Auto retopo and merge for Ptex"

3) In the opening dialog, leave all settings untouched, except set the number of polygons desired to 400

4) Click through density and guide dialogs

5) Observe 1/2 mesh in Paint Room

If you feel this is not a bug, but rather I used the wrong method to produce a whole model in the Paint Room, please outline the necessary steps.

Greg Smith

Andrew:

The same major symmetry bug can be observed by also following these steps:

1) Create a symmetrical voxel model

2) Right click on voxel layer in tree and select "Auto retopology"

3) Leave all fields unchanged except "Approximate Polycount", changing this field to 400

4) Click through the following dialogs without adding density shading or guidelines

5) When whole mesh appears in Retopo Room, select "Merge for per-pixel painting with normal map" - (an incredibly long menu option)

6) When dialog appears, don't change default settings

7) Observe 1/2 model in Paint Room.

Greg Smith