3DCoat Forums

I have uploaded very first CUDA supporting version.

Only CUDA supported tools:

-fill/smooth/grow

-sphere

Only 64-bit executables support CUDA

There is CUDA checker to compare speed. Speed growth is very noticeable on bigger brushes.

Also you can press ALT+ENTER to enter fullscreen mode. It works faster.

It is interesting if it will work without CUDA drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

• Advanced Member
It is interesting if it will work without CUDA drivers

Hi, unfortunately alpha 41 fails to run on my machine. I have a 7800GTX on Vista x64 and have no special CUDA drivers installed.

Failure is: 3D-CoatDX64.exe - unable to locate "cudart.dll"

Clicking OK after that, and it understandably crashes.

(I use an 8800GT on XP32 at work, looking forward to trying this out when 32-bit support is added!)

• Advanced Member

-fill/smooth/grow

-sphere

There is CUDA checker to compare speed. Speed growth is very noticeable on bigger brushes.

Andrew,

lol actually i meant a summary of how things are going with CUDA experiment, but a new alpha is even better :). I found one quick bug with alpha 41, increase resolution 2 times, and the sphere will get screw up(rotate it to see the error).

Yup, same error here. I'll download the drivers, then try it again.

Edit: Installed the CUDA drivers, rebooted and tried again. Still the same error about missing cudart.dll

It's a common misconception to think that you need that CUDA driver. Most of the recent display driver will enable PhysX,CUDA,etc. So just install the latest driver for your card. Anyway everything works here, i used to have that missing cudart.dll issue, but since i installed the SDK and toolkit, it went away. If that doesn't work try copying the cudart.dll(it's in the toolkit folder) into your system32 folder.

FYI, i do not have cudart.dll in my system32 folder. I think all you need is the toolkit to be installed.

@Deadman, OpenCL looks promising on paper because its cross platform and not tie to any one graphic card maker. Lets hope it actually works once it mature and release..then Andrew can use it to speed up 3DC across all platform.

• Advanced Member
yeah just install cuda toolkit to make it work.

works fine here - some artifacts(precision?) while using CUDA. great speed increase on large brush spray/thaw with CUDA

yeah i saw some line type artifact with fill and i think spray/thaw. I do see about a 2-4 time increase in brush performance on big brush stroke. Example of CUDA improvement, 20 million triangles with a thaw brush of a brush radius of 45 is still smooth sculpt with.

yeah just install cuda toolkit to make it work.

works fine here - some artifacts(precision?) while using CUDA. great speed increase on large brush spray/thaw with CUDA

OK then I'll try the toolkit when I get home (at Starbucks working on the two headed terror now hehe). I wonder if that can be included in the 3DC installer, I didn't look to see what the redistribution rules are.

• Advanced Member
OK then I'll try the toolkit when I get home (at Starbucks working on the two headed terror now hehe). I wonder if that can be included in the 3DC installer, I didn't look to see what the redistribution rules are.

Looks like a new set of drivers are out here:

pretty sweet that it supports both Quadros and GeForce cards with the orginal INF file. Also CUDA toolkit 2.1beta is out.

Andrew,

Can you post dual versions of the alpha in the future, one without CUDA for folks like me whose legacy cards cannot handle CUDA requirements? Or maybe one version that allows CUDA to be switched off so it won't crash, or has automatic detection so it can match the host card's capability?

SMcQ

I unfortunately cannot seem to run either 64bit OGL or 64bit DX.....

32bit version works, but of course i wanted to test CUDA... :(

It doesn't seem to be a CUDA related error, and all the other CUDA examples i have work fine.

"3D-CoatGL64.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). Click OK to terminate the application."

I will also try it out on my laptop ASAP but i have to load the CUDA toolkit for the 9650GT and lappy first.

Any Ideas Andrew....? Vista x64, 512Mb 8800GTS.... (Fault Module Name = ntdll.dll)

I unfortunately cannot seem to run either 64bit OGL or 64bit DX.....

32bit version works, but of course i wanted to test CUDA... :(

It doesn't seem to be a CUDA related error, and all the other CUDA examples i have work fine.

"3D-CoatGL64.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). Click OK to terminate the application."

I will also try it out on my laptop ASAP but i have to load the CUDA toolkit for the 9650GT and lappy first.

Any Ideas Andrew....? Vista x64, 512Mb 8800GTS.... (Fault Module Name = ntdll.dll)

So, you have installed right cuda drivers/toolkit?

I will upload 32-bit cuda version soon.

Are you sere that you are using V38? Because there was problems with transpose in earlier versions. Also, if V38, please attach file log.txt. I am sure problem is in shaders only.

Thanks for replying Andrew. I did have earlier alpha versions installed. I removed the alpha installation and re-installed and it is working properly. Thanks a lot.

So, you have installed right cuda drivers/toolkit?

I will upload 32-bit cuda version soon.

Doh!, No i still had an older CUDA Toolkit installed, I uninstalled previous version, installed the latest 2.1 beta toolkit for Vistax64 release and

all is working now.

So thanks for the efforts... looks like there is a few issues as mentioned by others (precision?), but the performance with large radius brushes is quite excellent,

although it seems to smooth slightly oddly. Cannot wait to see more, thanks for posting the early tests! :)

Does 3DC need Full double precision FP? I know CUDA supports it, but only supported on 200 series Nvidia's, which means i guess you cannot use it currently?

Keep up the good work....

• Advanced Member

As usual, I'm a bit confused. Does the latest build run on non-cuda systems (I know the cuda part won't)? Will there be two versions (cuda and not)? Are there changes that don't involve cuda that we can test?

The answer "download and try it" isn't good. It takes around 4 hours for me to do that, so I'd at least like to know if I'm wasting my time when it isn't going to work. :rolleyes:

As usual, I'm a bit confused. Does the latest build run on non-cuda systems (I know the cuda part won't)? Will there be two versions (cuda and not)? Are there changes that don't involve cuda that we can test?

The answer "download and try it" isn't good. It takes around 4 hours for me to do that, so I'd at least like to know if I'm wasting my time when it isn't going to work. :rolleyes:

Mostly change is CUDA implementation.

Non - cude feature - ALT+ENTER for fullscreen mode (better performance)

Of course next builds will combine both - CUDA and non - CUDA versions.

• Advanced Member
Both cuda Dx and Gl version crash with my Xp 64 system. I've installed the latest cuda tolkit.

i guess i'll ask the obvious questions, are you running the latest CUDA driver? are you getting any error message before the crash?

edit: i check and the Quadro FX 1500 is not a CUDA enable product. that might be the reason it crashes?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

• Advanced Member

I installed this drivers from nvida.com CudaSetup :-win64-rel-nightly-2.1.1635-3046817.exe

Before the installation, i had the 'missing cuda dll error, and after, i've got an 'out of mem error' when i enter vox mode.

Just want to make sure of something.

Once the volumetric sculpting tools are complete. It will connect to the rest of the program.

Meaning you can load a object in with the load or import commands, then use the volumetric sculping tools on the model loaded in?

• Advanced Member
Just want to make sure of something.

Once the volumetric sculpting tools are complete. It will connect to the rest of the program.

Meaning you can load a object in with the load or import commands, then use the volumetric sculping tools on the model loaded in?

It's already here! You can load(use merge command in volumetric sculpting mode ) any model with .obj/.fbx/.lwo format into 3DC and it will be automatic convert to volumetric model, of course you can use the volumetric sculping tools on the model.

I have made a video to show that:

volu.mov.zip

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I found another annoying bug in Alpha 41 related to CUDA. If i open 3DC file with cuda checkbox ON, it create artifacts on the VS mesh, kind of dash-line artfacts. They aren't display artifact at all, they are on the mesh itself. I think you have my 3DC file, you can try it on that.

post-564-1227494051_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

I found another annoying bug in Alpha 41 related to CUDA. If i open 3DC file with cuda checkbox ON, it create artifacts on the VS mesh, kind of dash-line artfacts. They aren't display artifact at all, they are on the mesh itself. I think you have my 3DC file, you can try it on that.

It is good that you noticed it. I know the reason and will fix it. But I think it does not damages mesh itself. Only normals are calculated in wrong way in some points. Anyway I will fix it soon.

• Advanced Member

-fill/smooth/grow

-sphere

Just a question.

Because tools have to be optimized with CUDA, should not be better if they would be modified and organized first ? I am referring to the carve/clay tool and other things like curved fallofs etc. etc., and the bad straight strokes as noticed other times.

Or this optimization will not interfer with future modifies of the tools ?