3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Andrew,will you do some work to better manipulate the volume?

For me the sculpting is really good,but a better way to change proportions I think is needed,if you think to real clay sculpting,you can easily change proportions of the shape simply by using your hands,in 3d isn't so easy.

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

downloaded today the osx 3 beta. Some things that i haven't understood:

-can i play with volumetric sculp on an imported model?!

-if i start a volumetric sculpture from scratch how can i convert/export to a model?

Thanks

-TOXE

p.s. this tool is the best thing since invention of 3d

• Advanced Member

@ Toxe

You can use a basemesh and convert it to a voxel sculpt so you have something to start with. You do this by choosing merge > select mesh. You can then place, scale and rotate this and when you press enter you will generate a voxel sculpt in that place. When you switch to another tool you can start sculpting on it.

If you dont want to import a basemesh you can just click on the cube in the lower left and a sphere voxel will spawn for you to start sculpting on.

Currently you cant export the mesh. You can however save your sculpt so you can work on it in multiple sessions if you want too.

I think its wise if you took the time to read this thread. Many usefull tips in here especially if youve only just began playing with it. ;)

3dioot

Currently you cant export the mesh. You can however save your sculpt so you can work on it in multiple sessions if you want too.

BTW I thought I'd add something that occurred to me. Yes there is currently no way to export the mesh, But I think it's safe to assume that if you save it as a .3B file now, you can always keep it until export becomes available and then continue to work with it.

• Advanced Member

Hi 3dioot

thanks for the fastest reply in the world ;)

Yes i need to keep an eye on this thread, but i've downloaded the alpha today, i havent had the time to read 23 (!) pages!!!

Thanks for your advices and help

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

@ philnolan3d

Yes. However since this is an alpha if i were you id keep in mind fileformats may change leaving your "old" files created with alpha x not compatible with alpa y. Thats just the risk of creating work in an alpha. Possible; yes. Certainly; no. ;)

@Toxe

Your welcome. 23 aint so much. :lol:

3dioot

• Advanced Member

I don't know it is time for asking this kind of feature, but what I would really like to see is the same kind of rail-curve you can see in Mudbox.

But this time make it stick to the surface and not screen based.

Being able to get many curves at the same time, and that could be a great help.

• Advanced Member

Hey Toxe.....

I've seen you in the Vue forums. This tool is gonna be a great one for Vue. I've tried to spread the word a bit but when 3 comes out in full bloom, I think it'll speak for itself.

In the voxel mode, after you get a mesh 'merged', you can click 'on pen' and your mesh becomes a brush and is added anywhere you click. Check out the Table n Chairs pic in the WIP gallery. I merged the table as my voxel object and then used that and the chair meshes for goofin' around.

Loads of fun...

M

I noticed that the Draw with Pen in the Voxel paint works like the one in Sculpt mode. The longer you press the mouse button, the higher the sculpt becomes.

Is there anyway to fix that? I can't imagine anyone wanting that.

Also, on my Mac, I brought in the dino sample at 2 million polies, painted one stroke and got an out of memory message. Never got one in version 2.

Have you imported dino in usual painting mode and it crashed? all the time?

• Advanced Member

Hello folks!

I implemented the lambskin shader from nVidia FX Composer plus blinn specular highlight and falloff glowing at edge.

lambskin422.jpg

Use ambient slider to control the specular falloff.

The shader code is simple and self commented, you can modify the colors as you like.

cheers

akira.

mcubes.rar

Thank you! I hope to add much more control over shaders soon to be able to make very powerful effects.

edit: tested this shader. Love it! It is fast enough to be default.

Question: Is it possible to save and load shaders as preset-buttons later, inside 3DC ?

Regards

Chris

was barely kicking the tires with the v3.0Alpha version and I have to say, your implementation

of the 'Merge->On Pen' utilizing regular objects as the 'brush' is very nice!

It's great if you're just stamping the objects onto the surface, but I find that it you try to "paint" with the object, even with just a 6 poly cube, it is very sluggish.

• Advanced Member
even with just a 6 poly cube, it is very sluggish.

that's odd ... those stones total 92,928 tris and I was painting them on (not stamping)

and I found it to be workable (DX version). Can't imagine why your system would have a problem

with a six-sided cube (I'm on a PIV 3.0g machine, 2gig RAM, XP Pro SP2, and an old ATI x800)

It's great if you're just stamping the objects onto the surface, but I find that it you try to "paint" with the object, even with just a 6 poly cube, it is very sluggish.

Maybe that is the same problem as "Freeze" had... I will try to fix it in next release. Really it should work fast and realtime.

OK I just tried it again and never mind, sort of... It works very fast with additive painting, but subtractive (holding Ctrl) is very slow and skips around a lot instead of painting smoothly. I also noticed that either way I have to move the pen slowly if I want a continuous line, but that may be just a pen setting I need to adjust. here's a video of the On pen tool:

http://screencast.com/t/cLdi1hA7j

Would it be possible to orient the object to the brush stroke? As you can see in the video my object has a corner sticking up, If I sculpt up and down I get a nice corner, but side to side gives me a different shape. I know I can rotate it manually, but that wouldn't help if I was drawing a circle for example.

Would it be possible to orient the object to the brush stroke? As you can see in the video my object has a corner sticking up, If I sculpt up and down I get a nice corner, but side to side gives me a different shape. I know I can rotate it manually, but that wouldn't help if I was drawing a circle for example.

All current pen settings act on 3d-object - spacing, rotation, direction, jitter...

Not for me it didn't. I turned on rotate along motion direction and checked to make sure it worked with Draw With Pen. That was fine, so I tried On Pen. No luck. In this screenshot you can see my pen object on the model in the upper right, while the drawing is the result of using it.

2008-09-25_0800.png