3DCoat Forums

Old lighting model

Hi,

Well, the new hdr environment lighting is really great to model, render out things, and stuff like that, but I don't like it in the painting room because all hdrs distorts the colors of the model in some way.

Even when I choose vertical gradient as the background ALWAYS the hdr is used to shade the model.

How can I change that? I strongly prefer the old headlight-like lighting model from 3D-Coat version 4.1 and before.

• Like 1

I can't be only one who has this problem.

Nobody is using custom lighting for his lowpoly objects in the paint room??!

You're not the only one.

I resolved the problem in other way - in beta21 there is greyscale mode for panoramas - no color distortion there.

How close will this be to the older method?

It will look as nicely as PBR but without color distortion.

Why need EXACTLY old one?

Seriously?

Because I want to dictate where the light comes from any time in my workflow and I don't want to let a hdr do the job.

I can't believe that you always work against any good common sense, where bugs persist for years and the UI is inconsistent as hell.

So, in this case: Just let the user choose his preferred lighting model: the old one where you could alter the angle of the light at any time, and the new hdr solution.

Why I did you even remove the old method for lowpoly/retopo models, where for voxel tree objects it still works?

• Contributor

Its not the truth.

Maybe onyl if you dont work with HDR.

But for all that works with HDR, it is realy nice how it works at this time.

I dont need the old lightning model anymore.

carlosan: No, do you?

Guys, calm down, it wasn't meant to be rude, maybe a bit harsh. I was just pissed, although I think that I'm right with my statement. I still think that 3D-Coat could play a much bigger role compared to Mudbox or ZBrush, but so many inconsistencies and insufficiencies prevent it from being the #1 or maybe #2, although it truly has it in itself to do so.

Back2Topic. What I mean by old and new lighting could be seen here:

https://youtu.be/nZSyR8261sEand

I think that this clearly shows where the pros and cons of the different lighting solutions are.

So, just give us the CHOICE.

I don't want a developer to say "why?". I want him to think about why the users are complaining about this and that function. Isn't that logical...

• Advanced Member

Here's an idea; instead of hankering after the past why not collaborate to help design a lighting system that is both better and more robust than old & current 3dcoat Lighting.

If we had both HDR lighting and directional at the same time, with their own sets of controls for position/rotation and exposure, this would be the ideal situation.

Think of it this way; you could use a very diffuse or overcast HDRi for your fill light and your directional to pick out the forms of your object.

I have to admit that I've finished my first asset for our current project using the latest 4.5 Beta (Yes I tested it thoroughly before deciding to use it in production)  I have a couple of Studio Setup HDRi that give a strong directional light while also providing a little fill light.  It feels like switching between the old 'Full lit' & 'half Lambert' modes but within the same lighting system.  I set the exposure of the light to match our engine and after exporting the Roughness, Metalness & Albedo textures to the Engine I literally had to do zero Photoshoppery for fix up.  It really was WYSIWYG between 3DCoat and Unreal Engine 4.

Working so 'on target' is fantastic and REALLY saves time.  Hopefully we can reach a consensus on the most versatile Lighting System for 3DC.  I believe what I have proposed here is very similar to what exists in Substance Painter already, or even closer to home with the Render Room in 3DC. 

..anyway, here's to constructive criticisms :)