3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

On 4/16/2024 at 9:04 PM, Elemeno said:

can you remove modelling room and retopo room and have all meshes inside sculpt room

No.
Each modeling technology has its own tools.
If you put everything in one room, there will be a lot of garbage.
When there are a lot of tools, it makes work difficult.

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

any news about proper layer system in paint , the masks work really strange .... you cant paint on top of masked layers , you have to apply and then paint over etc ...

i use color id maps alot for masking off areas but i cant due to the current system ...

a complete rework an simplified ui would work alot better and i know you wouldnt want to copy others softwares and their workflows but painter uses a system that works really well and many other softwares have adopted that same system , so would be really nice if we could get something like that .. 

i dont see alot of realistic finishes inside 3dcoat alot of what i do is stylized and anything else seems alot of work

• Advanced Member
On 4/27/2024 at 10:33 PM, Elemeno said:

the masks work really strange .... you cant paint on top of masked layers , you have to apply and then paint over etc

Can you explain what you mean by this? It sounds like something's going wrong on your end, layer masks work well here. Can you record a small video to show this off?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:27 AM, Elemeno said:

Seems to be working as expected? The mask uses grayscale input. The green you selected had a value (lightness) of .76, and partially revealed the albedo layer once you began applying it. If you want to completely unmask the albedo layer, the value needs to be 1. Just like any other software.

If you paint a white mask with a value of .76 in substance painter the result is exactly the same. Apologies if I misunderstood the issue at hand. Let me know if you need assistance.

• Advanced Member

Please integrate a search function in the SPACE BAR menu in the sculpt room, so we can type the first letter of the name of a tool, and it will filter them (hide the other tools) based on that letter/ letters. E.g. begin to type letter "S", and only the tools "Soft", "Smooth", "Sphere" ect will be displayed while all other tools will be hidden/ greyed out. Type "So" and only tool "Soft" will be displayed.

And simply begin typing without having to put the cursor in a search field first.

It always takes me absolutely forever to find any basic tools in that menu, I need to scan them all one by one before I have found the one I am looking for, often more than once because I have overlooked it. Massive waste of time.

Another small bug I have just noticed: when in sculpt room (voxel mode), with radial symmetry active, and the "sphere" primitive selected, it doesn't respect radial symmetry when applied to the mesh. It only adds/ subtracts geometry where the original sphere is placed, and not to the other spheres in the radial array. With other primitives, e.g. the ellipse or the box, it works fine.

EDIT: come to think of it, it would probably be best to add those search menus in all kinds of places, also the sculpt tree, the Layers panel ect.

Edited by wilson66
  • Like 3

On 4/30/2024 at 5:27 PM, Elemeno said:

@Elemeno I get your frustration, this should be more straightforward. Since masks rely on values, it's not intuitive to guess the value of a color (green in your example) it should be strictly a matter of restricted greyscale painting when you're ON the mask icon.

• Like 1

I've been using Flatten brush for Bevel in Sculpt room for a while. It's usable but still far from perfect. As far as I know, bevel remains an issue in both Coat and Zb when sculpting because the engine for sculpting can not perform bevel like other modelling software, but we all know Coat is extremely good at boolean, and we have live boolean and curve tools. So I wonder if by combining these functions we can get an alternative tool for bevel/chamfer?

For example, we can create a curve like we do with Curve tool, but use the brush normal sampling for proper angle(I changed the default value of my Flatten tool to a much higher value for it to match the edge correctly). Then we assign it a cutter model, better if we can modify it lively(extend, tilt, rotate) for cutting area and bevel profile. Let user view the result just like live boolean before the actual cut. And we get a bevel/chamfer alternative.

I tested this thought with curve tool to create chamfer and it worked much better than using Flatten brushes(it left a sharp turning edge like usual chamfers should be). Also, by rotate the curve I can easily change the angle. You can see the difference in the following screenshots. I believe a round bevel can archived using a curve model with a round groove.

image.png.195c3133505019f3d5367faf8568a575.pngimage.png.7d464c0013f6737720fd248ddf21f9a9.png

• Thanks 1