3DCoat Forums

Paint Room bug hunt - report it here

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

On linux. Using ...30 and windows ...31. From start menu choose Deep displacement and any of the character presets. I choose the head. Once the scene is loaded choose enter full screen. The mesh visually becomes invisible but is still present because the brush cursor still recognizes it. You can refill it with a color to make it visible again. But after changing the full screen to a minimized screen the mesh becomes invisible again. The appears to only happen in the deep displacement mode. The paint UV mapped with normal map option from start menu seems to work as expected when changing size of screen.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[Paint Room] Coloring Tool does not respect Freeze state

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

- From the Start Menu panel, Paint UV Mapped Mesh (Per-Pixel): Pick the "shader ball" model
- Set FG color to a strongly saturated color
- Set Opacity to 100%
- New Layer, make sure new layer is active
- Fill: Fill w/ Color, Click "Layer" button, YES
- Set the Stroke type  to Constant Pressure brush
- Select the Freeze tool and paint a freeze area
- Change the FG Color to a saturated color with a very different Hue
- Select the Coloring Tool, then "Subst. Hue" mode
- Drag a stroke both outside and across/over the frozen region
- Ctrl+D to drop the Freeze state

RESULT: Note the hue change was applied where it should have been masked.

EXPECTED: No change should have occurred for the Frozen region.

Used 2023.37, Windows 10

Edited by tiburbage

On Win 10 with 3dc 2023.37
I´ve tried the simplest approach to test PPP displacement.
A simple plane exported from blender via 3dc applink and then loaded and subdivided in the retopo room.
Back in the paint room just a simple depth paint yields weird grid-like artifacts on the displaced mesh.

3dc_displacement_bug_01.jpg

Edited by maximus

thanks for the reply.
I had some difficulties keeping the plane in rectangular shape.
While taking the mesh back to the paint room via "Retopo->microvertex(no baking)"
one has to untick "Smooth Object". Now it works.
But it does not make much sense to me that you can adjust the tesselation,
under the view menue item in the paint room while in PPP displacement, when it´s not functional.

Edited by maximus

What is the problem?
  - Hello, the problem or bug that I have found is the following: having UDIMs to 2048 x 20, I was very very slow painting, I thought it was because of the amount of textures, but my laptop was fine and my desktop pc was not.
I attach video to show it, in the version of 3DCoat 2023.16 does not give problems, but sure that from the 2023.27 if that this problem is reproduced, the curious thing, is that from texture editor, it goes perfect in any version.
in the video you can clearly see the difference, I paint at the same speed in the model as in the texture editor.
OS
  - Windows 10 pro, rtx 4060 ti, 128gb ram, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2696 v3 @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz

Steps to reproduce a Bug
  - create a tiled "floor" of 20 tiles in Blender, add 2048 UDIMs texture, export it to 3DCoat, add 2048 textures to all tiles. Paint in 3Dcoat 2023.16 vs 3DCoat 2023.27 or higher and see the lag.

Expected Result
  - that it works just as well as version 2023.16
Actual Result
Visual Proof (screenshots, videos, text) of Bug
Software version:
  - Good Result 3DCoat 2023.16
  - Bad Result test it 2023.27 or higher

• 1 month later...

Hello, I’m very new to the software but I found what feel like bugs:

3dcoat 2023.40

windows 10 latest

wacom intuous pro driver: 6.4.4-3

—-

1. Navigation controls: when lmb+rmb is set for an action, the behaviour works correctly with the mouse but with tablet it requires hitting the rmb first before lmb.

If I don’t hit rmb before lmb, it disregards lmb and only recognizes rmb (hopefully this makes sense). It doesn’t matter the order I’ve set the mouse commands.

I only tried it with zoom & move screen space. Not sure about the others.

2. Stacked hotkeys: when I have multiple tools stacked on a hotkey and I go to another tool, the program doesn’t remember the last used tool and instead cycles to the next tool. So in my case I have to cycle through the stack to get back to my last used tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I don't know if this is a bug, but here's my situation. I come from a 'Character Creator 4 [Reallusion]' workflow, where the character base uses UDIMs. I can import characters using 'Import Tiles as UV Sets', but there are meshes which share this UV space, so some prep-work is involved in getting a character imported into 3D-Coat (i.e. deleting the shared meshes).

I can import the characters very effectively using 'Treat materials as separate textures' instead. Unfortunately, will restrict the usage of AO and other baking tools, because it will only identify the 1001 UV space during the baking process. So, is this a bug, or is it a limitation of the baking process using this import method?  Thanks for your time.

Steps:

1. Import a CC3+ Character with Materials checked (OBJ)
  2. Import into 3DC using Per Pixel Painting and 'Treat Materials as Separate Textures' checked.
  3. Bake Ambient Occlusion.

Result: Ambient Occlusion will only be baked for the 1001 tile, leaving the other tiles black.

Proof: External Link (Loom / Video Recording)

Software Version: 3DCoat 2023.40

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

[BUG] Fill of Depth/height/normal from a Smart Material fails when clicking on a UV island

2023.41, Windows 10

Filling of Depth/height/normal data using other methods, including Fill by Part (LCLICK on a discrete mesh Part in the 3D Viewport)) works, and Brush-based Paint works, just not when picking an island in the Texture Editor window.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Open a UV'ed model: I use the built-in ShaderBall model as it has both Parts and is UV unwrapped.
  2. Connective Picking ON
  3. View > Relief Only
  4. Drag out and dock the Texture Editor next to the 3D Viewport. Set its channel view to "Normals"
  5. Depth=100%, Depth Channel ON
  6. Create a new Layer
  7. Select a Smart Material known to have easily visible depth info. I was using rubber_2
  8. Enable the Fill Tool, Fill w/ Color: ON. I had no other Fill options enabled.
  9. LCLICK on islands in the Texture Editor.

RESULT

Observe in the Texture Editor and 3D Viewport that picking the islands is not resulting in Depth fill.

I then verified that LCLICK on the model's parts does result in the expected Fill, full Layer fill works, etc. So it appears just to be UV  Island picking which is failing.

Edited by tiburbage

1 hour ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

It seems that in version .06 this works correctly. Or I didn't understand your problem.

image.png

Well, I hope my steps were very clear :) In further testing, I think the Depth fill is working in the UV Island pick case, but the intensity is so low that I thought it wasn't working at all.

Try this: before doing any Depth fill, new layer, set the global Depth to 500%. LCLICK on one island in the Texture Editor, then on a Part in the 3D Viewport and compare the result. What I'm seeing is a radically different Depth value applied. The UV island application is very faint, barely visible where the 3D Viewport Part selection fill is very strong. In the attached snapshot, I filled the blue outer body of the shaderball by UV island picking, the yellow front ring by 3D Viewport pick.

I'm not a Smart Material expert. If you suggest a Smart Material to use which comes installed with the app, I can try the one you are trying.

Oleg, of course maybe by some luck Andrew found and fixed this problem in the last few builds.

I'm debating whether to install the 2024 beta build you are citing, but wish it didn't have to overwrite my 2023 install to do so...

In the mean time, it would be great if you have a 2023 install to see if you can reproduce with that, as a sanity check. And if you can think of any settings differences which might account for a difference, I'll try them.

SmartMaterial_DepthFill_Issue_2023-41.png

Edited by tiburbage

• Reputable Contributor

You can install the 3DC 2024 betas as a separate install. Do not use the update function in 2023 version.

Go here to get the beta. You can disable checking for an update version in 2023 in preferences under the general tab. 

Every once in while check for a new beta version at the forums.  Download the beta. The beta will just overwrite itself when updating.

Confirmed on your report.

Edit: You can paint depth by regular brush on a uv island and that is correct but filling a uv island is incorrect with a smart material depth, as you first posted no fill of depth is added using Windows version 2024.06 beta either.

beta.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the repro confirm, Digman. Now I'm just wondering what's different about Oleg's configuration which would give a different result.

And thanks for the tip about the 2024 installer -- I was not aware of those links. Do they keep the user prefs separate by version? I hope so ...

Edited by tiburbage

• Reputable Contributor

I will get back to you on the preferences settings etc, as for sure I need to give you the correct answer.

Here now is the strange part.  I was curious why Oleg's worked and ours did not.

I tested the default ball as he did and it worked, filling a smart material depth by clicking on a uv island in the texture editor. Tested the default creature and that model worked as well. 

Next test, I redid the seams on the shader ball and exported it. I imported the new shader ball with the new seams and that worked, another strange. 

I will send to support about the default shader ball problem.

If any other models have this problem I do not know.

Also tried the "robot guy", the posed robot character they have as one of the choices when you do File > New and choose "Per pixel painting", and I could still repro it as reported. Andrew will be able to sort it out. I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out...

On 2/9/2024 at 6:17 AM, digman said:

I was curious why Oleg's worked and ours did not

I checked all the models from the Start Menu and even tried my own. It always worked correctly. That's what I'm doing -ScreenCaptureProject1073.mkv

There is a problem with filling the relief of the webcam model from the Start menu. I'll report it to the developer.

Edited by Oleg_Shapo
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

I checked all  the models from the Start Menu and even tried my own. It always worked correctly. That's what I'm doing -ScreenCaptureProject1073.mkv

There is a problem with filling the relief of the webcam model from the Start menu. I'll report it to the developer.

Yes, that is the problem I had the Webcam or the other name for it is the "Shader ball" no filling with depth information, as stated in my post. 

Since you will report it, I will not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What is the problem?
Picker using shortcut V is not picking the actual color which is right under the brush, instead it picks grey.
OS
Windows 11
Steps to reproduce a Bug
Occurs randomly
Expected Result
pick color rigth under the brush
Actual Result
picks grey

Software version
Textura 2024.13
  • Thanks 1

What is the problem?
Random quads are appearing when erasing layer 0 (for transparency)
OS
Windows 11
Steps to reproduce a Bug
Use Eraser on layer 0
Expected Result
erase layer to transparency
Actual Result
random quads (not quads from the acual mesh) are appearing, (but they can be erased too)

Software version
Textura 2024.13
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
10 hours ago, ichbinliese said:

What is the problem?
Picker using shortcut V is not picking the actual color which is right under the brush, instead it picks grey.

I noticed that if I do not move the mouse cursor and pick the same spot a few times using "V", the color selected turns grey. 

Also noticed that the color selected will cycle a little bit. The lightness will change.

I confirm that is a bug. 

• Advanced Member
29 minutes ago, digman said:

I noticed that if I do not move the mouse cursor and pick the same spot a few times using "V", the color selected turns grey. 

Also noticed that the color selected will cycle a little bit. The lightness will change.

I confirm that is a bug. 

its not a bug .. 
the color picker chooses between albedo and real world colors ... 

for example if ou see something on your model and think i like that shade the first "V" shows that color ... the v again shows the actual color without lighting or glossy etc...

grey shows up due to the bake layer below ... if youre landing on an area without color it will be greyed out as it has no information to show

• Like 1