3DCoat Forums

Name for Polish type brush

digman

• Reputable Contributor

In reference to what Andrew posted on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/AndrewShpagin

Mechanical sculpting is the purpose of the polish brush with a few others in Zbrush.

Possible brush names:

Metal

Bronze, first alloy (tin and copper) used on a large scale.

Hardedge

~

Possible brush names:

Metal

Bronze, first alloy (tin and copper) used on a large scale.

Hardedge

Having been a Jeweller/Goldsmith, the metal working industry has obscure terms for all different processes.

So another possible name in regards to metal surfacing or polishing could be "Linish Brush" or Linisher Brush?

Here's a Wikipedia explanation for the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linishing

Hope it's of some use, Colin

• Contributor

Having been a Jeweller/Goldsmith, the metal working industry has obscure terms for all different processes.

So another possible name in regards to metal surfacing or polishing could be "Linish Brush" or Linisher Brush?

Here's a Wikipedia explanation for the term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linishing

Hope it's of some use, Colin

Hmmm,definition is good but Linish/polish...too close.

It should not end in -ish I think or even have -sh sound.

-HardSurface brush

-Ductile brush

-Hard Shaper

-Smithing brush?

I have NO idea :unsure:

• Reputable Contributor

Hard Edge is the most descriptive, it seems, and that is what I would favor...whatever is the easiest for new users to understand. This is also on reason why I would actually like to see icons next to the name on each button (or at least have that option in "preferences"), much like Lightwave CORE is doing. Doing this throughout the entire application would make it more consistent...as now you have icons in Paint, but text buttons in every other room.

• Reputable Contributor

Here is another example...notice toward the lower left of the image. The button "Hard Edge"...the icon displays the same type of function this new brush does, from what I understand. So, "Hard Edge" would certainly be easier for LW users to immediately comprehend.

• Reputable Contributor

So it's a brush from Poland? :p: Sorry I just had to. But seriosly, I don't understand what it would do. I hear a lot of mentions of metal, but would polishing be the same as smoothing here?

The polish brush in zbrush can create hard edges depending upon the amount of pen pressured applied. Andrew, stated he made a similar brush but of course will have to wait till we get the update to see how close it functions to Zbrush's polish brush...

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Mechanical_Sculpting

Thanks, yeah I saw the Twitter feed, I'm one of his followers. I just didn't know anything about the zb brush. Seems like a strange name for it so if that's the case a new name would be a good idea. Edger maybe? "Hard Edge" gets the job done, but it's so utilitarian.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, yeah I saw the Twitter feed, I'm one of his followers. I just didn't know anything about the zb brush. Seems like a strange name for it so if that's the case a new name would be a good idea. Edger maybe? "Hard Edge" gets the job done, but it's so utilitarian.

Personally, Hard Edge is the most descriptive, but I think it can be immensely helpful if many of the tool/brush names are carried over from ZB so as to make the learning curve for that userbase easier. After all, it dwarf's 3DC's and it's a good strategy to sell 3DC as a companion tool to it...at this stage, as opposed to trying to compete head to head.

• Contributor

but I think it can be immensely helpful if many of the tool/brush names are carried over from ZB so as to make the learning curve for that userbase easier.

I think it would be pretty bad...Some people get really sensitive over stuff like this.I mean,really.

• Reputable Contributor

especialy developers.

The developers know that they are currently the standard in the industry and that other programs will copy many of their conventions not because they lack original ideas, but for "Standardization" purposes, and to make any transition a more comfortable one. Max and Maya share many of the same hotkey or naming conventions...so I think any developer that got hot over ZB users asking specifically for a parallel tool in 3DC to be made available...will just have to get over it.

• Contributor

The developers know that they are currently the standard in the industry and that other programs will copy many of their conventions not because they lack original ideas, but for "Standardization" purposes, and to make any transition a more comfortable one. Max and Maya share many of the same hotkey or naming conventions...so I think any developer that got hot over ZB users asking specifically for a parallel tool in 3DC to be made available...will just have to get over it.

How can a develloper implement a feature with pseudo-cloned behavior from another program and call it the same name...

Its ground base simple.

All Zb-like Mudbox brushes use different names :) ...

For the sake of clarity I understand that it would be great if all apps

who share similar features would share same names

..but really what you ask is impossible and would be legally also very dangerous for 3DCoat.

Anyway,Andrew is asking us to find ANOTHER name for the tool,not start a debate

on wether or not 3DCoat,Zb and Mudbox should use same terminology. :)

• Reputable Contributor

How can a develloper implement a feature with pseudo-cloned behavior from another program and call it the same name...

Its ground base simple.

All Zb-like Mudbox brushes use different names :) ...

For the sake of clarity I understand that it would be great if all apps

who share similar features would share same names

..but really what you ask is impossible and would be legally also very dangerous for 3DCoat.

Anyway,Andrew is asking us to find ANOTHER name for the tool,not start a debate

on wether or not 3DCoat,Zb and Mudbox should use same terminology. :)

Because it's a common tool? If Pixologic came out with Voxels in ZB 4, why would they HAVE to name it something other than what it is...and describes it best? Makes no sense to me to rename something just for the sake of doing so.

A flatten brush should be named as such in any like application....a Pinch Brush, likewise. Whatever the case may be. Again, standardization should be a consideration in the conversation. There is nothing Uniquely clever about naming a tool that performs a very common task. There may be different manufacturers of a given clay sculpting tool, but they share the same name for the same function. Why need it be any different in a CG application?

Stanley makes hammers, as does Craftsman...but their both called hammers. So, how silly does one have to be to name a hammer, a "Nail Driver" in order to adopt a different naming convention?

• Contributor

Because it's a common tool? If Pixologic came out with Voxels in ZB 4, why would they HAVE to name it something other than what it is...and describes it best? Makes no sense to me to rename something just for the sake of doing so.

A flatten brush should be named as such in any like application....a Pinch Brush, likewise. Whatever the case may be. Again, standardization should be a consideration in the conversation. There is nothing Uniquely clever about naming a tool that performs a very common task. There may be different manufacturers of a given clay sculpting tool, but they share the same name for the same function. Why need it be any different in a CG application?

Stanley makes hammers, as does Craftsman...but their both called hammers. So, how silly does one have to be to name a hammer, a "Nail Driver" in order to adopt a different naming convention?

I completely agree with you that it SHOULD be like this.

But its not. :)

Max and Maya share many of the same hotkey or naming conventions

If it was always a rule, standardization and so on, but now and ever I have a strong feeling that developers are showing off before each other, trying to give to the tools wich sharing similar functionality as such complex and different namings as possible, wich of course doesn`t help in learning curve.

as an example of 3dsmax and maya, in max I can easily understand wich tool can be the key and will make needed work from it`s context, at the other hand in maya feels like everything is against you even tool namings, without dictionary i could not make any step and even then, after I translate unclear naming there must pass some time before i understand - what the hell should that do! aha! at last! Hypershade is something like Material Editor!!!

and situation was even worse, untill autodesk bought maya, and have changed some common used tool names and menus.

Ps I`m not 3dsmax fan or maya hater - I just hate them both. :D

• Advanced Member

>> " but would polishing be the same as smoothing here? "

I think the name of the brush should help distinguish it from smoothing.

After hearing the name ... we should be able to understand why the brush is

not the same a smoothing.

Too me ... POLISH == SMOOTHING. I understand that polishing does not

exactly mean remove hard-edge. But mentally ... for me ... having used

limited tools ... it's hard to understand HOW polishing would not

remove hard-edges ... how it preserves them ...

• Advanced Member

Do we even know what mode this POLISH brush appears in ???

I may have glossed over that. I guess I assumed it was a VOXEL brush

because that's the only 3DCoat module I've been using to date.

Maybe it's just a surfacing brush. Doesn't sound like a VOXEL brush.

Sorry if is a silly question.

Here's Andrew's Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/AndrewShpagin

He doesn't really say anything about the brush, just that it's been created and possibly needs a name.

BTW that last comment he made was meant as a response to me telling him to stop working during Christmas.