3DCoat Forums

Illumination maps (emissive)

philnolan3d

I think this is something that would be very big for game artists, if you could paint illumination textures like color or spec and see it's result in the viewport. I know 3DArtist was able to pull it off, but he lost normal map rendering in the process. So it wold be great if there was an official way to do it.

• Applink Developer

I would go one step into another direction. I would love to see in Texture -> Export -> Custom Textures. It could be a window where you can

set the name of the texture and then which layers it is using. You could set as many you want. This way user could easily export all the textures that are needed.

Because there is so much diffrent shading types. It would be hard to bring them all into 3d-coat.

• Applink Developer

Good point...sorry. For me, to see the illumination texture is not so vital than seeing color,spec,bump. I see this more game engine feature

than 3d-coat feature. I might be wrong. This could be something to have fun playing with. Maybe because I'm not pure game artist, my way of thinking

is that there is always some shading types that you don't see in 3d-coat, and you never will. So it's should be better to focus how we can easily export

those textures from 3d-coat.

We already have opacity, just use the eraser on layer 0.

The ereser works everywhere and produces transparenced areas. You can use it in any layer, but you need always to hide the layer 0, then you will see the transparency. The transparency information itself will be saved as an own channel in TGA file format.

• Advanced Member

As I see it, (and I could be completely off) all we really need is x number of ShaderSampler selections in the layer blending list. ShaderSampler1-ShaderSampler10 maybe. Whatever is painted on these layers would be accessible to the shader code. Then someone just has to modify the shader to illuminate the diffuse colors with the ShaderSampler. This would open the possibility for custom shaders and layers. (ie Paint a reflection map keeping it separate from the spec map, or whatever else map for game engine\renderer x.) It could be nice to have selectable custom paint shaders also.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old request, but I am once again finding myself wishing 3DCoat supported emissive/illumination maps. I know it would be a fair amount of work to support but this it seems like it would be a reasonable fit with the current tech and it would really be a very, very useful feature that I would very much like to see in 3DCoat. I would use it on almost every asset I create - in particular this next project I am just now starting on.

Thanks

• Advanced Member

this would be great.

for what it's worth i've been working around this by having a full ambient vox layer shader that I draw tiny sphere's into. when I bake the layers, it shows up on it's own layer and I then assign it to an alpha to be used for fullbright later in the engine. I usually do a final gather render in MR to catch the refracted glowing lights from this mask, so since I bake to the textures using a light simulation it's not really high on my list of 3D paint features.

worn edges on the other hand... ;)

-b

• 5 months later...

I was playing with the Mudbox demo today, being able to use illumination maps was a real joy and I have to admit using it made me wonder if perhaps I should add Mudbox to my toolbox. I still hope 3DCoat adds support for illumination maps at some point.. Ideally, I would like to see a total of four new channels: illumination, color specular, gloss, and reflection maps. That would bring 3DCoat in parity with Mudbox with respect to my texturing needs. Being able to pick between greyscale and color when setting up illumination, specular and reflection channels would be very useful too.

Even better would be a more flexible method of defining any number of textures, the color channels to use for each texture (RGBA, RGB, RG, or A), and a .cgfx shader to render the set of textures. Then we could do whatever we wanted with the data. Would be nice!

• 1 year later...