3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Hey Andrew, guys

Is there any ETA on when we may see first builds with LiveClay support? I anticipate this feature the most. My enjoyment of 3dcoat without it is incomplete. I do enjoy it and I appreciate the hard work and talent that you put in the product, but now after I saw the candy - I can't stop thinking of it :(

Regards,

Vlad

:)

Hi, there!

Testing version: 3.5.16

System: Windows 7 64-bit SP1 / Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X / 12GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 / Driver version 266.58

Voxel sculpting bug of unwanted dents in mesh:

1. Sculpt default sphere

2. Res+

3. Use a large move brush to shape sphere (size about what you could use for shaping human cranium) in voxel mode

4. Line like dents appear on bottom half or on opposite side when sculpting on top half of mesh

I think this happened on 3.5.15 too, but not sure about this as I tested 3.5.15 version too little to be sure

Please show screenshot.

• Advanced Member

Great selection of Brushes you have there AbnRanger.

Do you have them spread across other apps ie. ZBrush, Photoshop, or are they specifically designed for 3D Coat?

Hey Andrew, guys

Is there any ETA on when we may see first builds with LiveClay support? I anticipate this feature the most. My enjoyment of 3dcoat without it is incomplete. I do enjoy it and I appreciate the hard work and talent that you put in the product, but now after I saw the candy - I can't stop thinking of it :(

Regards,

Vlad

There is no ETA, but I hope soon as Raul is getting better and better results.

Probably something like this....lots of artifacts and general weirdness happening with the mesh, when working with the MOVE or POSE tool. Sometime it just happens randomly...forcing you to have to spend time trying to get it smoothed back out, which isn't always that easy to do.

I stll need screenshot from that simple test because I need not only result but clear way to reproduce.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, every time I create a voxel sphere and increase its res, add mirror across X axis and then select the move tool and start moving areas the random noise here or there appears and there is no way to get around this, this makes this tool worthless as the cleanup with the smooth brush takes a long time. Linux 64 CUDA 3dcv15A

T.

Andrew, every time I create a voxel sphere and increase its res, add mirror across X axis and then select the move tool and start moving areas the random noise here or there appears and there is no way to get around this, this makes this tool worthless as the cleanup with the smooth brush takes a long time. Linux 64 CUDA 3dcv15A

T.

Please show screenshot.

T.

I just tried it with a sphere and I do see some tearing in the mesh. Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/H3GTTKa3K6

T.

I just tried it with a sphere and I do see some tearing in the mesh. Here's a video:

http://screencast.com/t/H3GTTKa3K6

Thanks, now reproduced, so will be fixed. I missed selected words....

• Advanced Member

Hey Andrew, guys

Regards,

Vlad

Looks like it may be a while yet.

Look at the post dated 15/03/2011

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

• Advanced Member

Andrew Via Twitter :

Older version of Rapid brush is insterted in surface toolset as Rapid2 tool. 8 minutes ago via Chromed Bird

---

This is awesome...I loved that brush. I can't wait to try it out again when the new build is ready.

-G

• Advanced Member

Am I stupid or is the default normal baking turned to "World Space" by default

on 3.5.16 version? I can't get a Tangent space texture from retopo room...

I've been searching in bug repports without founding something similar.

If someone has an idea, please let me know.

Am I stupid or is the default normal baking turned to "World Space" by default

on 3.5.16 version? I can't get a Tangent space texture from retopo room...

I've been searching in bug repports without founding something similar.

If someone has an idea, please let me know.

I tried this

- sculpt something in voxels

- simple retopo

- bake for ppp

- Textures->Export->Normal map (TS) an

got very usual tangent space normal map

I tried the same with baking tool and got usual tsnm again.

Please describe your workflow.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I simply worked like I did with other beta versions.

Sculpted in voxel.

Then retopoed (With symmetry on).

After retopo is done I click the double arrow to get an entire mesh.

Then I just bake with NM in the retopo menu.

I'm going to try your way and get back to you after.

Thanks for your help.

• Advanced Member

I managed to have it fixed in two steps.

But still I don't understand where it went wrong.

I tried the following thing:

- Rotated the Vox model (90 degrees on Y axis)

- Exported the previously retopoed mesh as an .obj.

- Rotated the .obj in Maya (90 degrees on Y axis) in order to get it superposed to the VoxModel.

- Went back to the retopo room, changed the symmetry axis from z to x, then imported the .obj as a retopo mesh.

- Then I baked with NM.

At this point the strange squares were cleaned away, but it was still Object space NM that I got.

I'm under the feeling that there is something wrong (or difficult to understand) with the symmetry plane.

I have different results with the same model when it is oriented differently.

If it doesn't fit global space because it is rotaded or something that would be fine to have "NonUniform"

or something to make it understandable.

I didn't want an Object space but a Tangent space NM, so I tried other things:

Decided not to use 3dCoat symmetry or X2 arrow to get an entire mesh.

Instead, I exported half the retopoed mesh to Maya, copy-Flipped the missing half (merged the middle vertex, and so on)

Then went back to retopo room, "clear mesh", and imported the new .obj WITHOUT symmetry on.

When I baked with NM, I finaly got the Tangent spaced NM.

Hope it helps. This is very bad workflow, but I couldn't have proper NM at all, So... forgive me :)

I managed to have it fixed in two steps.

But still I don't understand where it went wrong.

I tried the following thing:

- Rotated the Vox model (90 degrees on Y axis)

- Exported the previously retopoed mesh as an .obj.

- Rotated the .obj in Maya (90 degrees on Y axis) in order to get it superposed to the VoxModel.

- Went back to the retopo room, changed the symmetry axis from z to x, then imported the .obj as a retopo mesh.

- Then I baked with NM.

At this point the strange squares were cleaned away, but it was still Object space NM that I got.

I'm under the feeling that there is something wrong (or difficult to understand) with the symmetry plane.

I have different results with the same model when it is oriented differently.

If it doesn't fit global space because it is rotaded or something that would be fine to have "NonUniform"

or something to make it understandable.

I didn't want an Object space but a Tangent space NM, so I tried other things:

Decided not to use 3dCoat symmetry or X2 arrow to get an entire mesh.

Instead, I exported half the retopoed mesh to Maya, copy-Flipped the missing half (merged the middle vertex, and so on)

Then went back to retopo room, "clear mesh", and imported the new .obj WITHOUT symmetry on.

When I baked with NM, I finaly got the Tangent spaced NM.

Hope it helps. This is very bad workflow, but I couldn't have proper NM at all, So... forgive me :)

It looks like a bug, I will discover. Now try VoxTree->RMB->To global space

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I downloaded version 16A this morning after you said you were going to include Rapid 2 and Clay 2, but I didn't see them anywhere in the surface mode tools. I tried out what was there (rapid and clay) and they seemed to behave the same as usual.

I was really looking forward to trying the new version of those brushes to see if it was similar to what you had before you updated the brush engine.

I guess I'll try again when you upload the newer build.

Cheers,

Gavin

Edit: The clay brush may have been different, I don't use it that much. But the Rapid brush definitely didn't feel the same as before the brush engine changes.

Edited by gbball