3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Hello akira,

thank you for your advice - but is this really save? I need my Laptop professionally and can not affort spoiling all my graphics-settings by some hacks...

I guess you mean "safe".

Well I think only the author of the mod tool can answer that question. :)

I've tried this tool myself and it worked on my 8600M GT, I can launch 3DC with CUDA support now.

And you know nVIDIA doesn't officially provide generic drivers for laptop GPUs, so the safest way to get CUDA support is to wait for your laptop provider updating the drivers for you. :)

akira.

• Advanced Member
Hi geo_n,

Electronic products are really much cheaper in US and Japan.

Yes I'm using 3DC on MacBook pro, and I just recorded a video tutorial on it this morning, if you are interested, here is the link:

3D-Coat tutorial: Render turning video of your model.

MacBook pro 470/471 are strong enough to run all the current 3D softwares smoothly, for example Maya, Cinema 4D, modo, 3D-Coat, Unity 3D, etc...

The only problem is heat elimination, that's the common issue of all laptops IMO.

great. i'm seriously considering getting a mac to use both mac and win appz.

That's a cool video. Very clear. Which vid cap software are you using for the mac?

• Advanced Member
great. i'm seriously considering getting a mac to use both mac and win appz.

That's a cool video. Very clear. Which vid cap software are you using for the mac?

I'd like to recommend MB 471 rather than 470.

471 has 4GB Memory and 512 Graphics Memory while 470 only has half of them.

I use ScreenFlow for screen recording. :)

• Advanced Member
I am back from Moscow. We had successful meeting with NVidia. Also I have made a presentation on conference about 3DC and voxel sculpting. There is the link:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3DC-Presentation.rar

It is in Russian, we will translate it in English soon.

waiting for english. didnt understand the writeups :lol:

• Advanced Member
I'd like to recommend MB 471 rather than 470.

471 has 4GB Memory and 512 Graphics Memory while 470 only has half of them.

I use ScreenFlow for screen recording. :)

I'll check it out and see if it fits the budget. Thanks ;)

• Advanced Member

I really think the fall off in 3d coat could be a lot better. esp as it effects all the brushes. It seems never to give a completely smooth transition from the non effected area to the start of when a tool starts to take effect. It'd be great if we had the ability to edit a line graph pane that represented the fall off, then it'd be quickly make the modifications we seek. I like the way Silo does this with it's to bezier handles to edit the curve.

Thanks for the hard work.

• Advanced Member
Excuse me geo_n, but I think it's better to copy and paste that long bug report to a .txt file and upload it as an attachment, only suggestion. :)

haha. sorry. the 3dc bug report is blocked in the office. i'll attach a text file. :)

• Advanced Member

Installed cuda and version 42. DX just crashes. Opengl runs though. Is it faster? The spray tool sure acts differently. It feels slower when cuda is checked on but at the same time it feels like it builds smoother and I can weed out the lumps on the mesh rather easily. I think it still needs some tweaking. With that said, this got me to think how difficult alpha testing a piece of software can be for a developer. Because we the artists are becoming attached to some functionality of the software that could change in the next version. And the change might be good but because it is different from what we already know we will want the software to remain unchanged. Anyways, I think if the growth speed could be adjusted to be faster, the tools might work better.

• Advanced Member

Second that Taco! CUDA spray/thaw feels better to me too - normal one just is always bulging out too much. Although CUDA one has artefacts which i hope will be fixed :)

I was wondering if anyone else notices none to little speed gain from CUDA? Could this be because my CPUs are ridiculously powerful or single-video card config? Does CUDA use SLI at all?

• Advanced Member
Second that Taco! CUDA spray/thaw feels better to me too - normal one just is always bulging out too much. Although CUDA one has artefacts which i hope will be fixed :)

I was wondering if anyone else notices none to little speed gain from CUDA? Could this be because my CPUs are ridiculously powerful or single-video card config? Does CUDA use SLI at all?

I think if using quad core there's little diff for now. Maybe some more optimization with cuda 3dc and it will be good. but I wonder why cuda and not opencl.

• Advanced Member
I am back from Moscow. We had successful meeting with NVidia. Also I have made a presentation on conference about 3DC and voxel sculpting. There is the link:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3DC-Presentation.rar

It is in Russian, we will translate it in English soon.

After I get the English version, I'll translate it to Chinese soon. ;)