3DCoat Forums

• Contributor
What is better to use for this purpose? It is very easy to change radius, but if I will add new slider there will not be easy way to change thickness...

Setting depth using brush radius is practical and efficient, personnaly I like it a lot. :) I think by "that's odd" tree321

meant that it was hard to guess that brush radius was the key setting to change depth.I also didn't found it right away.

The "tips" highlights should be updated in next version so to help users but surely you intend to.

• Contributor
What is better to use for this purpose? It is very easy to change radius, but if I will add new slider there will not be easy way to change thickness...

Yes artman is right about "that's odd" I didn't figure that one out about changing thickness, but I like it the way it is.It is actually a good way to see the depth degree this way.Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, a little idea that can be useful sometimes in my workflow: it's possible to add an option to mantain brush size, smoothing, etc when i switch from a tool to another?

Thanks

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Hi all, someone can explain how to obtain a quadrangulate model with symmetry? The pop up says that with symmetry planes activate the software will try to do it, but my results are not good at all.

Thanks

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Hi all, someone can explain how to obtain a quadrangulate model with symmetry? The pop up says that with symmetry planes activate the software will try to do it, but my results are not good at all.

Thanks

-TOXE

The object will need to be symmetrical beforehand. and after quadrangulating the object you should immediately turn symmetry off in order to see the results.

Also the quadrangulation method doesn't seem to catch fine details well. But so far I'm not too concerned about this as I plan to add the details with the painting tools.

That's all I know so far. :)

Thanks

-TOXE

Have you enabled symmetry plane before quadrangulation? Is your object really symmetrical?

It could be good to see screenhot.

About radius - maybe I will add VS options with many different tweaks.

• Advanced Member
Have you enabled symmetry plane before quadrangulation? Is your object really symmetrical?

It could be good to see screenhot.

About radius - maybe I will add VS options with many different tweaks.

Hi Andrew,

yes the object is modeled with symmetry enabled and is really symmetrical. This is the screenshot, before and after, i've used a low resolution on polygon to better see the wires.

Thanks

-TOXE

post-903-1232364142_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hi Andrew,

yes the object is modeled with symmetry enabled and is really symmetrical. This is the screenshot, before and after, i've used a low resolution on polygon to better see the wires.

Thanks

-TOXE

post-903-1232364142_thumb.jpg

I can confirm this is happening to me too (Mac Os Alpha 49). With a symmetry plane enabled, it works properly when going "quadrangulate"... The problem only occurs when I go "quadrangulate and paint".

It also seems that using the "Voxel Shift" tool can break symmetry (after many uses and/or high brush size) during modeling with a symmetry plane (not that the problems are necessarily related).

I can confirm this is happening to me too (Mac Os Alpha 49). With a symmetry plane enabled, it works properly when going "quadrangulate"... The problem only occurs when I go "quadrangulate and paint".

It also seems that using the "Voxel Shift" tool can break symmetry during modeling with a symmetry plane (not that the problems are necessarily related).

It seems to be the key to the problem. Maybe Q & P works improperly but Q work OK.

Thanks for finding it!

• Advanced Member
Yes, it don't work with Q&P like psyborgue says... But, sorry i havent ever used retopo tools... After converting it to polygons how can i use the model?

-TOXE

switch to the "mark seams" mode, click "auto seams" then, "unwrap" (unless you want to manually set the seams). After that, go to "merge into scene" under the "retopo commands menu". Then simply set your options as usual and switch to paint mode. If you're going to animate your model, though, it's probably best to manually retopo the object (and for optimal results, place UV seams manually). The manual covers that. Retopo is quite simple to use.

Edit: actually. Cancel that. I just tried it out and the resulting mesh is not symmetrical. It appears that the symmetry plane isn't applied in retopo mode. Although the mesh appears to be symmetrical in retopo mode, turning off the symmetry plane reveals it's not really (and neither is the retopo result).

Edit: it works if you go "apply symmetry" first (retopo commands menu). That seems to be the step that is missing when going directly from voxel sculpt mode to paint mod (@Andrew: Q&P does not apply symmetry. It should when a symmetry plane exists).

• Advanced Member
Thanks so much for the clear explanation :)

So, at the end the symmetry don't work? I'll try after your good lesson about retopo ;)

-TOXE

I just edited my message as you posted a response. It works now, but you have to go "apply symmetry" under the retopo commands menu. So "apply symmetry" "mark seams" "auto seams" "unwrap" and "merge into scene" works (though manual tweaking is still best for optimal results).

• Advanced Member

Hello,

just a quick question concerning direct painting on UV's. What is the progress on this side of 3dcoat? Just curious and not intended as flame.

I've just attempted to use 3dcoat on an asset at work with the intention to jump to photoshop as little as possible. I've discovered a few bugs related to the Clone tool, some strange artifacts where the UV seams are (which I'll write up a more detailed report and post in relevant forum thread), and I'm finding that brushing on the object is somewhat sluggish.

It's not unusable by any means but my hope for the long term goals of 3DCoat is that painting in 3D & 2D will be as smooth an experience as using Photoshop.

I feel that the innovation with voxel sculpting is fantastic but I can't help but feel a little frustrated with the 'Brush Engine' as it currently stands. I know that it's high on the list of priorities Andrew, but could you give a little word maybe on the progress.

I would love to see 3dcoat as a definite Bodypaint, Photoshop, zbrush, mudbox alternative.

Cheers

Hello,

just a quick question concerning direct painting on UV's. What is the progress on this side of 3dcoat? Just curious and not intended as flame.

I've just attempted to use 3dcoat on an asset at work with the intention to jump to photoshop as little as possible. I've discovered a few bugs related to the Clone tool, some strange artifacts where the UV seams are (which I'll write up a more detailed report and post in relevant forum thread), and I'm finding that brushing on the object is somewhat sluggish.

It's not unusable by any means but my hope for the long term goals of 3DCoat is that painting in 3D & 2D will be as smooth an experience as using Photoshop.

I feel that the innovation with voxel sculpting is fantastic but I can't help but feel a little frustrated with the 'Brush Engine' as it currently stands. I know that it's high on the list of priorities Andrew, but could you give a little word maybe on the progress.

I would love to see 3dcoat as a definite Bodypaint, Photoshop, zbrush, mudbox alternative.

Cheers

Direct painting feature is much more simple to implement then VS. It will take 2, maximum3 weeks to implement. I still have a hope to release 3DC V3 in 1-st quarter of 2009.

Even if I will not be able to finish in 10sq quarter, I will implement direct painting in 1-st quarter.

• Advanced Member

I quite agree. And I have a strong suspicion that the sooner this is implemented into the

alpha/beta you'll see a large jump in sales of v2 (and subsequent upgrade) for all those folks

sort-of 'waiting' to see how 3dcoat develops...mix in whatever people feel is a more 'professional'

interface and heads will really start to turn. :)

• Advanced Member
Direct painting feature is much more simple to implement then VS. It will take 2, maximum3 weeks to implement. I still have a hope to release 3DC V3 in 1-st quarter of 2009.

Even if I will not be able to finish in 10sq quarter, I will implement direct painting in 1-st quarter.

Personally, I like the microvertex based painting better than UV painting. Every direct-UV painting program i've used has serious problems with seams. 3d coat is the only program i've used so far that doesn't resort to some kind of projection and still has fantastic speed and seamlessness.

Props to Andrew for using this approach. I love it.

• Advanced Member
Every direct-UV painting program i've used has serious problems with seams. 3d coat is the only program i've used so far that doesn't resort to some kind of projection and still has fantastic speed and seamlessness.

I agree 100%, it's the only software on the market that have a intuitive approach without distorsions or something. And above all, i don't need to crash my head on the wall trying to making absurd UV maps.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
I agree 100%, it's the only software on the market that have a intuitive approach without distorsions or something. And above all, i don't need to crash my head on the wall trying to making absurd UV maps.

-TOXE

Well. It's still a great skill to have. It's difficult to modify textures in photoshop if the UV's aren't laid out in a consistent manner, and seams will still be slightly visible on a render (so it's better to have them in hidden areas). This is especially true when using TS normal maps in most renderers and game engines.

I might suggest Blender for laying out UVs. Blender allows one to pin UVs and "stretch" portions of islands with real time unwrapping. (video example of realtime unwrapping on this page, video example of live pinning here) A 3d World tutorial is here. Note that the features have advanced significantly since then (such as the addition of realitime angle and area based distortion visualization). It's a good free (open source) compliment to 3d Coat.

Once you get your mind around it. It's not too difficult. The easiest way to think of it is: if I have a knife, how is it easiest to slice up the object into pieces and flatten them out.

I've attached 2 images illustrating some issues I've come across

One is in regard to the rotate/bend function of the transpose tool

The other deals with the "e" panel tools not creating the whole shape drawn.

Also in regard to the "e" panel tools

There seems to be a upper limit on the thickness for each tool.

And this upper limit varies depending on the tool

You can't make a rectangle thicker than 50, an elipse thicker than around 70, etc.

But there definitely seems to be a limit for each tool.

Thanks,

Jeff

post-1222-1232417903_thumb.jpg

post-1222-1232418853_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Well. It's still a great skill to have. It's difficult to modify textures in photoshop if the UV's aren't laid out in a consistent manner, and seams will still be slightly visible on a render (so it's better to have them in hidden areas). This is especially true when using TS normal maps in most renderers and game engines.

I might suggest Blender for laying out UVs. Blender allows one to pin UVs and "stretch" portions of islands with real time unwrapping. (video example of realtime unwrapping on this page, video example of live pinning here) A 3d World tutorial is here. Note that the features have advanced significantly since then (such as the addition of realitime angle and area based distortion visualization). It's a good free (open source) compliment to 3d Coat.

Once you get your mind around it. It's not too difficult. The easiest way to think of it is: if I have a knife, how is it easiest to slice up the object into pieces and flatten them out.

Modo and Lightwave offers a robust and efficent UV editor, the best that i've used for now (they are very similar, but i prefer Modo). The problem came put when you need some fine details on organic shapes, so 3D coat is the best in my (long) experience. Maybe it lacks some kind of brushes and a radial brush, but it's enough for now.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

some issues Ive noticed on 3D coat on my home PC,

-"Merge into scene" from the retopo menu crashes 3D coat

-Texture bake doesnt seem to do anything when I click the ok to bake or when I supply an external obj it just renders a flat gray image

-voxel renderer seems to get slower the longer it runs until eventually the last frame is taking ages, I didnt have this problem a few releases ago.

-quadrangulation with symettry results in a useful mesh but when symettry snaps the points near the x axis together it loses the edges which fall along the x axis and this makes the mesh difficult to work with, the snap should snap together in such a way that the seam along the x axis is still visible.

Also I just thought I would add, quadrangulation is great and makes a really good base mesh for mesh sculpting on in 3dcoat, zbrush or mudbox. Great work Andrew + 3dcoat team.