3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
V 51 uploaded (win)

Changes:

1) Primitives tool

2) Text tool in voxels

3) Use CTRL in copy tool to copy inwards in copy tool (only outwards was copied before)

4) Bugfixes

5) Spanish translation (slightly unfinished, but will be done soon)

Some nice stuff there, Andrew!.

The primitives panel is good for rapidly adding a shape to work on. Only concern is that some of the transform tools may be a little unconventional. They sure look pretty though!.

I'll have another play with them to see if I can get used to them.

• Advanced Member

I loooove the primitives!!

I have 2 statements to make.

When in orthographic view and in the top down view, I can't seem to select the scale cube thingamajig (becasue you can't see it, because it's covered up by another part of the manipulator)

and also, I'd prefer to begin voxel sculpt mode without the default sphere now that we have primitives.

Suggestion. Please can there be a "translate voxel face" manipulator and a "translate voxel edge and point" made specifically for the primitives ? So you can make in organics voxel structures from primitives before actually sculpting them with the brushes. Almost like modeling. that would be pretty sweet.

• Advanced Member

I would also like to see a drag points mode for the voxel sculpt if that's possible it would probably have some pretty beefy performance req though. It's just a thought. I'm going to buy this program regardless of whether you throw that in there or not

• Contributor

Like the new features,just a couple of thoughts.

1.Can you add or replace rotation sphere with rotation ring and restrict around that axis.(see image 1)

2.Can you add uniform scale to whole primitive.(see image 2)

3.Restrict movement to world space along center axis.(see image 2)

Just a side thought, I would really like to see a more traditional transform gizmo when manipulating voxel objects as well.I have a hard time intuitively using the present gizmo.

Is it possible to combine standard non voxel objects into the scene? .This would be good for using direct painting and sculpting methods using the standard tool set.Work flow might be something like:create voxel sculpt-import mesh or add primitive obj-use displacement and texture maps to paint and sculpt.

Hope this makes sense.I'm just trying to think of a easy way to combine voxel modeling with traditional modeling in the same scene.It seems this would use less system resources then have everything voxels.A cube only has 4 faces no matter how big it is. Now convert that cube to voxels to add a simple base and wooo!

post-913-1232665533_thumb.jpg

post-913-1232665549_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Well I've had another go with the primitive manipulator tools and they're definitely quite difficult to use. The problem is that there's no way of rotating a primitive around a local axis. and on some of the tools (cone, cylinder, tube) we can't even move the primitive along a axis. So I'm going to have to place my vote for a regular manipulator like other modeling programs.

But what I do like is the appearance of the current manipulators. I love the chunky design of them. They're very pleasing to the eye! :)

Perhaps rather than redesign them it might be easier to have them naturally lock to a local axis and have them freed from their axis upon a key press (shift).

Alternatively they could naturally lock to their axis and have it possible to free them from their axis by tugging the mouse in a non comforming direction (a tangent?).

• Advanced Member
Well I've had another go with the primitive manipulator tools and they're definitely quite difficult to use. The problem is that there's no way of rotating a primitive around a local axis. and on some of the tools (cone, cylinder, tube) we can't even move the primitive along a axis. So I'm going to have to place my vote for a regular manipulator like other modeling programs.

But what I do like is the appearance of the current manipulators. I love the chunky design of them. They're very pleasing to the eye! :)

Perhaps rather than redesign them it might be easier to have them naturally lock to a local axis and have them freed from their axis upon a key press (shift).

Alternatively they could naturally lock to their axis and have it possible to free them from their axis by tugging the mouse in a non comforming direction (a tangent?).

+1 :lol:

• Advanced Member
Look into the layers panel and make sure that you're on Layer 1 and not Layer 0 before painting. I had this problem too!.

Andrew please notice this problem, it even puzzled me for quite awhile, say nothing of new users.

My suggestion is: When finished "Merge into scene" command of retop tool, could you let 3DC automatically set the current layer to the new layer instead of Layer0 ?

Another question: I remember that layer0 can't be paint before, but now: it can be paint with depth & specular but color not. Why?

• Contributor

Alpha51 gl64 cuda

I'm having 2 totally new problems(all voxtree related) .

Maybe this is because I'm loading .3b from a previous alpha I don't know...

I'll investigate further if I get a little free time tomorow.

anyway,here's the said problems

1)when toggling on/off the visibility of a specific subobject in the tree

it also toggle the visibility of another object as if it was it's children

altough they aren't parented at all.They are all parented to default root.

2)also clicking on the white boxes beside objects will alternate between + and - icons even if the objects don't have any children.

EDIT:I loaded back the file and Problem 1) just disappeared,I didn't even save or anything...strange :huh:

I agree with about the manipulators, it's like there's a different one for each model, very confusing. Text is very difficult to position, it flips around like crazy as if it's spinning around an axis that runs through all of the letters. I'm also having some "ghosting" display errors with the text gizmo and dots. Video: http://screencast.com/t/d6QSGsC5na

• Advanced Member
Andrew please notice this problem, it even puzzled me for quite awhile, say nothing of new users.

My suggestion is: When finished "Merge into scene" command of retop tool, could you let 3DC automatically set the current layer to the new layer instead of Layer0 ?

Another question: I remember that layer0 can't be paint before, but now: it can be paint with depth & specular but color not. Why?

I've had a problem with this Layer0 since day one. If it's used for information only and we should never touch it or paint anything on it then it should be hidden from us. To me it's presence only confuses matters. If it is visible then it should be automatically locked and greyed out and only if we really need to select it for any reason then make an unlock button with query. My 2pence.

• Advanced Member

Some thoughts from my side

1) i agree about the manipulators on primitives,

2) also is it possible to have clone with symmetry along global coordinates? Im having a lot of problems with exactly mirroring a layer

3) the vox merge on pen could use a rotation control too instead of only placement correction

4) Undo shouldnt, in my opinion, change the tool back to the last used (no biggie though)

5) Im having display errors with larger meshes, it only shows every other polygon in snake or merge mode, resulting in a facetted mesh until it is merged

Having said this, voxels are soooo addictive, very cool techology :)

Move Tool Irregularities

Here is another video showing some unexpected behaviour from the Move tool when used with the new primitives. I see a little of the same unexpected behaviour here as shown above with a shape made with the curve tool.

http://www.screencast.com/t/uFO7ddfId

Psmith

Excuse, but I had no success in reproducing it... Are you trying to make it with pen or mouse? I am trying to understand reason.

Does anyone experienced the same bug?

• Advanced Member
Excuse, but I had no success in reproducing it... Are you trying to make it with pen or mouse? I am trying to understand reason.

Does anyone experienced the same bug?

I've found it only happens with some brushes. A brush with a smooth falloff (like the gaussian brush tip) there is no problem. other brushes with sharp faloffs on the edges, there are problems.

• Contributor

Alpha52 gl/dx cuda 64

A new voxtree object is added on save.(empty object)

And also a broken sphere object is merged to the main object.

I reproduced this problem with a dozen objects.

here is an example with 3DC sample Drom

Volume 1 is empty

unwanted broken sphere is on same layer as drom (volume 12)

Alpha52 gl/dx cuda 64

A new voxtree object is added on save.(empty object)

And also a broken sphere object is merged to the main object.

I reproduced this problem with a dozen objects.

here is an example with 3DC sample Drom

Volume 1 is empty

unwanted broken sphere is on same layer as drom (volume 12)

Looks like a critical bug.

Updated to V53 - only this issue fixed

Can I import an OBJ, convert to voxels, then sculpt the low poly model? Then adding resolution levels later?

Yes, use the Merge tool, then Select Mesh to load the OBJ. use Transform to adjust the scale/position/rotation, and Subdivide to smooth the model if you need to. When you're done with all of that hit Enter to create the voxel version of the model.

• Advanced Member

I am using alpha 49 (mac OS) and am getting an out of memory issue every time to load a file I was working on. The last I checked the file it was working fine, though. Is there any way we can get a 64 bit Mac version (if, indeed, that is the problem. The file was working fine last I had it open and is only 500mb)?