3DCoat Forums

I am using alpha 49 (mac OS) and am getting an out of memory issue every time to load a file I was working on. The last I checked the file it was working fine, though. Is there any way we can get a 64 bit Mac version (if, indeed, that is the problem. The file was working fine last I had it open and is only 500mb)?

64 bit osx version is coming soon, it is important goal for us.

Estimated time - no more then month.

• Advanced Member
64 bit osx version is coming soon, it is important goal for us.

Estimated time - no more then month.

Congratulations again Andrew! There are a few apps that using 64 bit on osx, don't know the reason sincerely, but i'm sure you're right making this choice;-)

-TOXE

Just noticed a painting mode bug. When using Alt+Enter to hide the interface my Material tool bar disappeared and wouldn't come back after hitting Alt+Enter again.

Edit: More details, it only happens when Cube Mapping is selected. I can repeat it every time.

I've got a stupid question :

is it actually possible to decrease the resolution of a model ?

There is workflow:

1) VoxTree -> Clone and degrade (maybe 1 is enough for your purposes)

2) Make essential changes

3) Set old hi res mesh as current

4) Use copy brush to copy outwards and CTRL+copy to copy inwards.

• Advanced Member

first of all, again, voxels are so funky :) I guess its only a matter of time until you get contacted by Autodesk :o

Anyway, i mhaving some problems with symmetry, after some scuplting it just doesnt match symmetry anymore, please see attached image, happens all the time. I suspect the smoothing to be responsible but am not sure. Any ideas?

post-1281-1233057897_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
first of all, again, voxels are so funky :) I guess its only a matter of time until you get contacted by Autodesk :o

Anyway, i mhaving some problems with symmetry, after some scuplting it just doesnt match symmetry anymore, please see attached image, happens all the time. I suspect the smoothing to be responsible but am not sure. Any ideas?

Strange thing, i've never seen a symmetry problem since the first alpha...

-TOXE

p.s. i hope Autodesk is not able to find Andrew's email or phone number...

Use apply symmetry (enable symm plane before)

PS: Autodesk... I love freedom much more then money, believe me.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

i found the copy brush very useful, but there is a way to see wich data i've already copied without hide the layer? MAybe you can add an opacity slider beetween voxel layers?

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Did you use the voxel follow tool? That's what breaks the symmetry for me. (but then I just do Symm copy and it's symmetrical again).

• Advanced Member

Andrew. Your quadrangulation feature is fantastic as is, but might I suggest a few improvements. Would it be possible to automatically merge to adjacent tris (or collapse the connecting edge), or have a command for this in retopo mode (see first two images)? Also, would it be possible to automatically remove even-numbered stars in a manner similar to the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth images? Maybe these could be optional post steps on either quadrangulate, "apply symmetry" or both.

post-1287-1233072792_thumb.png

post-1287-1233072814_thumb.png

post-1287-1233073595_thumb.png

post-1287-1233073615_thumb.png

post-1287-1233073631_thumb.png

post-1287-1233073651_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

I agree, sometimes those "stars" are useless, but i don't know how much difficult can be fix this. An interesting features can be to have an option (with preview) to choose the direction of the polygons. At the moment, at my eyes they are always "oblique".

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
I agree, sometimes those "stars" are useless, but i don't know how much difficult can be fix this. An interesting features can be to have an option (with preview) to choose the direction of the polygons. At the moment, at my eyes they are always "oblique".

-TOXE

yes the foundation is there just improve on it as well as the primitives. Voxel sculpting AND voxel modeling ftw!!

I think curve guides or something like that could help in both of them =)

• Advanced Member
yes the foundation is there just improve on it as well as the primitives. Voxel sculpting AND voxel modeling ftw!!

I think curve guides or something like that could help in both of them =)

that's an interesting idea. Maybe curve guides placed in the "limbs" of a model could guide quadrangulation. Blender has something similar in development for sketching in bones called "etch-a-ton".

http://www.vimeo.com/2032416

Instead of painting bones, such a stroke could guide a "cylinder" of quads, capped at the end and "shrunk" to the mesh, like shrinkwrap:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jag...inkwrapModifier

...othervice it will never be released.

;)

Yeah right. Considering your speed it will be a great release.

I just have to say how many great features i find every day in this.

What is called an alpha version here is what other release and then

do the refinement later if users complain. I see a lot of production

ready tools in here with a lot of functions i always imagined but never

had and a lot of functions where i just think "how can he come up with that".

That's just simply brilliant.

Retopo tools are so well thought through here.

Voxels are a totally new way of working but it comes so

naturally to work with them. I haven't really used the painting tools

much because i'm mostly the modelling guy here in our studio but from

what i have seen so far from users on the forum the tools are up to the

game and i can't wait to give them a real world trial.

Just had to say that ;)

P..:

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

a feature that for me is really important at this point is the addiction of a radial brush (like the one on zbrush). With it you can easily modeling a lot of things (fruits, mechanical parts, etc), but can be more efficent using voxels than Zbrush. Imagine that you can use that brush with MERGE or SNAKE...

Andrew, another thing, do you think that is possible to create something to select a zone of the voxel sculpture and apply SMOOTH ALL only on that? Would be nice also to have a numerical input to set the value of the smoothing, so we don't have to press the button several times.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Use apply symmetry (enable symm plane before)

PS: Autodesk... I love freedom much more then money, believe me.

Oh, I see, its in the retopo toolset. I Couldnt find it for ages. I guess I should start to RTFM :brush:

BTW, retopo is very clever too. About AD, sounds like a wise decision!

PS: Is anyone else having small holes on quadrangulated topo? Happened to me a few times on more complicated sculpts.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,you have motioned there are three main selling point of 3dc:

1) Good retopo toolset

2) 3D-Sketching with voxel sculpting - sculpting without topological constraints.

3) Painting tool with layers, many powerful tools - peoples can confirm it for sure.

About "1) Good retopo toolset":

Are you plan to do a combination of manual retopo work and drivable quadrangulation in retopo mode?

About "2) 3D-Sketching with voxel sculpting - sculpting without topological constraints."

In vs mode,you have developed a 3d-sketching base-mesh creating method by drawing with 'E' panel,

but it can't make squabby cartoon character, 3d artists are used to create cartoon characters by side view or profile.

And are you plan to developed a 3d curve based VS deformer/sculpting tool?that would be another powerful VS tool,

About 3d curve based deformer/sculpting tool,you may understand me on watching this video:

About "3) Painting tool with layers, many powerful tools - peoples can confirm it for sure."

we really look forward to sharpness drawing over low poly!

• Advanced Member
About 3d curve based deformer/sculpting tool,you may understand me on watching this video:

Nice video and good idea, that tool for now seems to be a toy instead of a software, but it would be nice to have deformers like this in 3DC.

-TOXE

Hey Andrew,

here's another matrix/linear algebra library you might be able to use for automaic quadranglization, supposed to be easier to use than Lapack/Blas.

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's LGPL though, but the only changes you need to submit back are those you make to the library itself, not to the core program.

Hey Andrew,

here's another matrix/linear algebra library you might be able to use for automaic quadranglization, supposed to be easier to use than Lapack/Blas.

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's LGPL though, but the only changes you need to submit back are those you make to the library itself, not to the core program.

Thanks, this is interesting.