3DCoat Forums

NO visible displacement in the scene?then Andrew,please don't get rid of current technology,realtime and visible displacement is what I consider the biggest difference and advantage from other texture apps.what a pity!

Visible displacement is no problem to add.

Anyway old technology will be preserved. But DP will be default method.

• Advanced Member
Of course. The only difference in (1) is that displacement produces normalmap but no visible displacement of geometry in scene occurs. Object in DP don't changes vertices coordinates.

In addition - no more limitations on mirrored or overlapped uv-coordinates.

AWESOME!!!!

Cannot wait to play with this!

I can't wait for DP, i have several projects that i would like to paint on.

Yeah me too, I started a hard surfaced model months ago expecting that that it would only be on the back burner for a little while while I waited for DP. So I'll be excited to get back on that.

• Applink Developer

It may be a Battlefield but knowing that we are in the same side with you Andrew it gives a nice feel of comfort. Just take your time. I'm having so much fun with the latest alpha so it keeps me busy for long time.

• Advanced Member
More reports from battlefield: seams problem completely solved for DP. Seams are completely invisible and even more accurate then in current implementation.

Mathematically it was most complex problem in this stuff.

Bravo! I can't wait to see it. I've never seen a direct painting app that doesn't have significant seam problems (even those using projection painting).

Can we have trajectory smoothing as well, pretty please! You can do it!

• Advanced Member
Bravo! I can't wait to see it. I've never seen a direct painting app that doesn't have significant seam problems (even those using projection painting).

Can we have trajectory smoothing as well, pretty please! You can do it!

Bodypaint is actually a great painting app., it don't rely on your gfx card mem and can handle much larger textures.... but it's only a painting app.

Bodypaint is actually a great painting app., it don't rely on your gfx card mem and can handle much larger textures.... but it's only a painting app.

I haven't used Bodypaint in a few years but last I saw it didn't do real-time normal maps. Does it now? I also remember being not very fond of the interface, finding it rather confusing and unconventional in some places.

• Advanced Member
Bodypaint is actually a great painting app., it don't rely on your gfx card mem and can handle much larger textures....

Yeah, but I can already do 4k textures in 3d coat with no lag and my machine is pretty average. Unless you're rendering for IMAX, why would you need anything higher? Even 4k is overkill for an full screen object at hd 1080p.

I disagree, there have been times where I've longed for larger texture maps in 3DC. If you're working on a character who will have full body shots and closeups you need higher res, or else using a bunch of smaller image sets which I think would end up being a larger size than one or two big sets.

• Advanced Member
I disagree, there have been times where I've longed for larger texture maps in 3DC. If you're working on a character who will have full body shots and closeups you need higher res, or else using a bunch of smaller image sets which I think would end up being a larger size than one or two big sets.

OK. For the sake of argument let's say you pelt-map a character in your fave app. From head to toe, that character is getting ~4kpixels in the vertical direction. For you to need more resolution with a 1080p frame you would have to zoom four times or more. That's close enough for a close-up on the face without any noticeable loss of detail (though not an extreme close up.. but you could always do the head separately with a single 2/4k texture)... especially considering that if you're going to render an and compress an animation, high frequency detail is going to either be lost or create noise. JPEG and MPEG compression functions better with a slightly softer image anyway. Too much detail and the overall image quality degrades and/or the bitrate increases to compensate.

... and that's pelt-mapping the whole body. If you cut the legs and arms off and optimize the position and scale of your UV islands, you can probably get closer to 6k pixels vertically from head to toe.

Also consider that two 4k textures do not make an 8k texture. Four 4k textures make an 8k texture. Even if you use 3 of those, (big overkill, IMO), it's still less than a single 8k texture. A single 8k texture is 16 2k textures. If your character has separate materials/objects for the torso, pants, legs, head, hands and feet. You could use 6 2k textures and still only use 3/8 of the space compared to a single 8k texture. I can't see why anybody would use an 8k texture for anything other than maybe a hi-res print, IMHO, but that's just my opinion.

• Advanced Member
More reports from battlefield: seams problem completely solved for DP. Seams are completely invisible and even more accurate then in current implementation.

Mathematically it was most complex problem in this stuff.

I'm looking forward to this, i hope you focus on speed and quality of brush after DP.

Yeah, but I can already do 4k textures in 3d coat with no lag and my machine is pretty average. Unless you're rendering for IMAX, why would you need anything higher? Even 4k is overkill for an full screen object at hd 1080p.

For movies, you'll need multiple 2K or 4K maps this can reach hundreds of map AFAIK, this is what Dave Cardwell said when he worked on King Kong.

I was shocked as the next guy when i heard those numbers and i still am!

• Advanced Member
For movies, you'll need multiple 2K or 4K maps this can reach hundreds of map AFAIK, this is what Dave Cardwell said when he worked on King Kong.

I was shocked as the next guy when i heard those numbers and i still am!

Yeah, but they're also rendering 4k+ frame sizes. Even then, as you say, 2 and 4k maps were enough for King Kong. IMO, it should be enough for any 3d coat user. :P

• Advanced Member
I haven't used Bodypaint in a few years but last I saw it didn't do real-time normal maps.

Yes,realtime and visible normal maps is important,but the main problem is speed and qaulity,hope Andrew will make progress in dealing with them in DP!

• Advanced Member
This may sound silly and i don't know if it's a realistic solution but i have to wonder of image/texture synthesis might solve the matter of using mass resolution maps?

What do you mean by that? it might have already been done. Do you mean procedural textures or some mixture of image and procedural?

Well, in the sense of, if i even knew what i was talking about. :blink: It would be texture images but would work using some type of image instancing were as it creates only parts of the image that is needed and the rest is produced with fractalizing/synthesizing parts of the rest. Might save on memory perhaps. I think imageSynth does something like this???

• Advanced Member

Blender is getting something like this with texture nodes (it already has material nodes... the idea is to encapsulate build a custom texture with multiple outputs). Somebody has already used it to build a mandelbrot fractal generator. It can source images too. The target is something like MapZone or ProFX:

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/?PAGE=FEATURES

You can mix procedural with image and ... well it's pretty flexible as it's node based.

• Advanced Member
Well, in the sense of, if i even knew what i was talking about. :blink: It would be texture images but would work using some type of image instancing were as it creates only parts of the image that is needed and the rest is produced with fractalizing/synthesizing parts of the rest. Might save on memory perhaps. I think imageSynth does something like this???

Resolution independence would be nice, but i'm not sure it's really possible to paint that without recording every stroke as some sort of vector graphic and generating higher res images on export (sort of like construction history, or Photoshop actions "played back" at a higher res on export)... Andrew has pulled off some pretty impressive stuff, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he could figure out a way.

• Advanced Member
Yeah, but they're also rendering 4k+ frame sizes. Even then, as you say, 2 and 4k maps were enough for King Kong. IMO, it should be enough for any 3d coat user. :P

Of course 2K-4K should be enough since 3DC does support mutilple UV tiles? the biggest issue would be seams, but Andrew is addressing that with Direct Painting.

Of course 2K-4K should be enough since 3DC does support mutilple UV tiles? the biggest issue would be seams, but Andrew is addressing that with Direct Painting.

I heard Andrew mentions seams too, I never had any problem painting across seams in 3DC.

• Advanced Member
Uh... 3DC has had that since the beginning, it's like, the core of what 3DC is. :blink:

Yeah. Voxel sculpting is just a perk (albeit it's the particular perk that convinced me to buy the program...). And you can paint the normal maps on low poly meshes too if you hit keypad 6 during paint or go to view>low poly model (just found that out... figured others might want to know).

3d coat dynamically generates displacement and normal maps as you paint and displays both in the viewport. You can even add layers like in photoshop and clone and dodge and burn, etc...

If you're only using it for voxel sculpting you're missing a lot of neat stuff. It's very much a full-featured coating app. The only difference is it's internal implementation (data stored in microverteces), but this is for the most part transparent to the user.