3DCoat Forums

Yes, it's the link on the first page and yes, you can have two installs on one machine with one license, just don't use two 3D coat at the same time as that may put you in trouble(I'm not sure, maybe Andrew can anwser this).

Love the new shaders, now if we only could get one with both shadows and ambient occlusion at the same time.

• Advanced Member
now if we only could get one with both shadows and ambient occlusion at the same time.

Yeah that would be awesome! puts it closer to Mudbox 2009

Updated again to V.17

I have made Move in normal direction - with shift. I think it is very important.

Andrew, move tool is still buggy alpha 17(DX),using a mouse. See attach picture.

1. Start up 3DC

2. switch to VS(cube icon)

3. Increase resolution

4. pick "Move" tool

5. increase brush by 2-4 time the default size

6. click on surface, then hold shift(to move along normal)

- A. you'll see the border, this is even present with the default sphere size with normal brush radius, with bigger brush and bigger mesh resolution it really shows up.

- B. Obvious this is a bug...(tough to reproduce)

post-564-1222536317_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I have increased resolution, ser radius 90, moved - but surface is clan and smooth. Strange... Where is the trick?

You can't confirm A or B? A is shows up for me all the time. let me make a video(maybe its user error).

• Advanced Member
5-10 times less A and no B at all

Good,so A is confirm. B was report before by splodge, its related to "undo" command:

1. select move tool, use on the surface

2. undo(CRTL Z)

3. select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

4. undo

5. select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

6. undo

7.select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

now you should see the bug

BTW, good job on alpha 17, i manage to reach 12 million triangles before running out of system RAM , that's alot more than i could reach in Mudbox 1.0.7( 2-4 million triangles). frame rate was decent too around 15 FPS.

Good so A is confirm:) B was report before by another member, its related to "undo" command:

1. select move tool, use on the surface

2. undo(CRTL Z)

3. select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

4. undo

5. select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

6. undo

7.select move tool, use on same surface spot/area

now you should see the bug

ok, with Undo reproduced both. Ok in monday I will squash it.

I found the treasure! :)

Yes, for real, I was using the Move tool with symmetry and I was pushing voxels inwards, when something started to reveal. Strange was that the blocky thing in the middle wasn't affected by the Move tool at all.

bugjn7.th.jpgthpix.gif

And this blocky thing on the left is strange as well, it was made by one stroke with rounded Carve brush ... I dont't know how :o

• Advanced Member

WOW this is the first real sculpt I have tried with 3.0. I made another Tentacle (Octopus) and thought I would use it to create on Octopus ;)

Very fast this is the state after about 1 hour. Will continue. Looking forward to the real shaders in the Mac update. This was sculpted on a Mac Pro with version alpha 14

post-488-1222544942_thumb.jpg

post-488-1222544956_thumb.jpg

post-488-1222545029_thumb.jpg

Nice movie Juan! I also found something out. The starting sphere is REALLY high in resolution. You can check this by drawing patterns on it with the pen tool and then watch how well these transfer to voxel. I made a smaller starting sphere (mirrorable over x-axis) which makes working with move also alot easier. Its about 1/4 of the original sphere in size. Ofcourse the sweet point maybe 1/3 or 1/2 i dont know and thats probably different for everyone. :)

When I started my current little project I deleted the original sphere and imported the one that comes with 3DC. Then scaled it down about 75% before locking it in. It was a lot easier to sculpt out and smooth the basic shape. now I've gone up one level and it's still easier to work with. Though I still have trouble getting it really smooth like that lovely octopus above.

• Advanced Member
WOW this is the first real sculpt I have tried with 3.0. I made another Tentacle (Octopus) and thought I would use it to create on Octopus ;)

Very fast this is the state after about 1 hour. Will continue. Looking forward to the real shaders in the Mac update. This was sculpted on a Mac Pro with version alpha 14

Uff nice Octopus, great job

I dis some objects for Curve tool you can tri it i think the spike thing is to much but i was only playing also trying to do a cartoon hair.

enjoy

post-426-1222548159_thumb.jpg

Nice work, For some reason when I look at this pic I here the voice that starts this video, but he's saying a different line from the movie.

• Advanced Member
Care to share how you got it so smooth? Whatever I do comes out looking like it was made by a 4 year old with play-doh.

-Phil, i've modeled it starting from a sphere then added other spheres using merge and smooth it again, so simple like an advanced "bryce" boolean operation ;) Let me know if you want the file, i can upload it to my website...

-Andrew, thanks, unfortunately i can't play with the new alpha until monday because i'm busy with another good thing: music for my new album!... Arghhh!

-TOXE

-Phil, i've modeled it starting from a sphere then added other spheres using merge and smooth it again, so simple like an advanced "bryce" boolean operation ;) Let me know if you want the file, i can upload it to my website...

No thanks, good to hear about other techniques though.

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but how does one adjust the intensity of the smooth modifier (shift+draw) on the sculpt? It doesn't appear that the smoothing slider does anything to effect this... BTW Andrew, realtime shadows perform extremely well on my (was) high-end pc (about 3 years ago :P)! :brush:

• Contributor
Sorry if this question has been answered before, but how does one adjust the intensity of the smooth modifier (shift+draw) on the sculpt? It doesn't appear that the smoothing slider does anything to effect this... BTW Andrew, realtime shadows perform extremely well on my (was) high-end pc (about 3 years ago :P)! :brush:

Haven't used draw with pen for awhile but your right it is very week.I even set smoothing to 4 with little effect.(If you click the numerical value u can set it manually.)Maybe Andrew can look into this.

• Advanced Member

Yeah the realtime shadows work will on my 5 year old pc too. The smooth slider seems to not work either, it seems to apply only a set of strength regardless of what value i use. Also annoy bug is the "draw with pen" tool, if you hold down left mouse button it'll create a spike....

@Akira, can you add SSAO to the LambLight and LambLight_shadow shader? :blink: :unsure :huh: :

• Advanced Member
The smooth slider seems to not work either, it seems to apply only a set of strength regardless of what value i use.

Just for clarity. This is when you toggle smooth by pressing shift when having PEN as the main tool right?

Because smooth slider seems to work fine for me when i use CARVE. Is that the same for you? :)

3dioot

• Advanced Member
1) Just for clarity. This is when you toggle smooth by pressing shift when having PEN as the main tool right?

2) Because smooth slider seems to work fine for me when i use CARVE. Is that the same for you? :)

3dioot

1. Correct.

2. Yup works for me also.

@ otsoa and buga, if you want Andrew to squash those bugs(i haven't encounter themself), you really need to give steps on how to reproduce those bugs, so Andrew can fix it. Otherwise it extreme tough to fix them