3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Hello everyone. :)

Ive been really cracking my brain why the carve brush is still so unpredictable. Falloff not working the way i expected. Ugly rings. Brush detail that gets embedded. Ive been sketching idea's out and trying to figure out why its still not working how it "should".

I realised today after making some sketches for falloff that the carve really evolved from the sphere that was dragged through the surface. Then it hit me. Its solid based. This is why some things simply cant be fixed nomatter how finely we would tweak depth sampling (current depth sampling brings lots of problems). The technique is inherently flawed. :o I feel so stupid for not realizing this sooner. :(

post-949-1222969046_thumb.png

This is also the reason why fallof doesnt work in the current mode. Current tech is on the left (which i called solid based just to give it a descriptive name). How it should work is on the right. The reason fallof doesnt work right now is because it simply changes the "stamp" itself. It doesnt change how the brush is projected onto the surface because.. there is no projection to speak of. If the brush worked with a proper projection system falloff would be a filter sitting in between step 1 and step 2 and would tweak the brush before it got projected making the possibility to blend a reality.

To make certain i wasnt dreaming all this i did a little test in zbrush.

post-949-1222969286_thumb.png

The results speak for themselves.

The entire depth sampling issue (which is a big problem atm; try sculpting next to a very deep but very small pit) may even completely (or at least for a big part) dissapear with a proper projection system.

Andrew please give some feedback. Did you have this planned? Are you going to implement it? Were you aware the current method was inherently flawed? (or am i wrong about all this?)

3dioot

PS

I am with bluEgo. While there is nothing more basic then performance at least assure us you will give the current carve brush a good makeover and keep refining the other tools. It needs to become at least as functional or even better then the normal mesh based pen.

• Advanced Member

HI all,

i've found a bug or something in the latest osx alpha, when i try to change shader the object disapper and it's not possible to turn back until i trash my preferences. Someone have found the same problem?

-TOXE

ps. for Andrew:

macpro 8core 3.0 ghz

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

6 gb RAM

HI all,

i've found a bug or something in the latest osx alpha, when i try to change shader the object disapper and it's not possible to turn back until i trash my preferences. Someone have found the same problem?

-TOXE

ps. for Andrew:

macpro 8core 3.0 ghz

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

6 gb RAM

I have forwarded this bug to mac programmer.

• Advanced Member

Are you serious? Just like that? Here i thought i was asking you to make this big sacrifice to throw everything around. You are AWESOME! Thank you very much. :D

3dioot

PS

Im away for the rest of the evening but.. Thankyou! :)

Thanks Andrew, that one was starting to bug me.

On another note - could it be possible to create a version of the move tool or indead a new spline based move tool with the flexibility of the universal modifier.

It could be a simple two node affair -

Node1: is moveable but snaps to the surface and you can set the size of the brush interactively on that node (even elliptical)

Node2: this can be positioned interactively in free space

I find that the current move (including Normal option) does not give me the control I want.

What do people think?

3DBob

• Advanced Member
It happens on my nvidia 7950 GX2 card as well. So i don't think its just an ATI problem

I get this on a 7800 GTX on Vista 64 -- however this wasn't an issue on the 8800GT I have at work.

Anyway, to add a bit more detail:

- it's fine in orthographic mode

- it's not an issue on the RedWax shader that comes with Alpha19, but akira's v003 update makes the rings appear ...

- Adjusting the 'near plane modulator' slider causes the rings to grow/shrink across the surface of the sphere.

Hope you can fix this, I love the RedWax shader :)

• Advanced Member
I get this on a 7800 GTX on Vista 64 -- however this wasn't an issue on the 8800GT I have at work.

- it's not an issue on the RedWax shader that comes with Alpha19, but akira's v003 update makes the rings appear ...

- Adjusting the 'near plane modulator' slider causes the rings to grow/shrink across the surface of the sphere.

Nvidia 7600 GS here, same problem shows up.

Andrew I spend few hours designing a skin for 3d Coat 3 :) just playing, is not finish.

I play with Green and Yellow colors.

BTW were i can find the icons of the interface?

post-426-1223006482_thumb.jpg

post-426-1223006505_thumb.jpg

Very good! Love the style of sliders! Very compact! Also I like menu holder.

Some info on pictures/icons

textures\stdbutton.dds - rectangles

textures\stdbutton2.dds - inverted rectangles

textures\vista.dds - headers gradient bar

textures\grad2.dds - menu internal gradient

textures\icons\baseicons.dds - icons

textures\icons\Navigation.dds - navigation icons

• Advanced Member

Actually it happens on all of the shaders that use multi-sampling on depth buffers:

Depth, Bronze, (new)RedWax, NormalFromDepth, SSAO ... etc.

I think it's because of the precision loss during integer packing of depth.

Andrew would it be possible to allow Windows version uses 24bit depth buffer and leave the integer method for Mac version only?

Thats the easiest way to solve this issue i think.

akira

There was some restrictions last two days on board - all new topics was moderated before actual posting to avoid mass spam attack (you have seen it).

Now we have set new category of users - "Approved". You will come there after 5 overall posts. So, after posting 1 new post you will be moved to this group and will be able to create topics without moderation, you will be able to delete own post/topics.

If you have better idea for name, please tell :)

There was some restrictions last two days on board - all new topics was moderated before actual posting to avoid mass spam attack (you have seen it).

Now we have set new category of users - "Approved". You will come there after 5 overall posts. So, after posting 1 new post you will be moved to this group and will be able to create topics without moderation, you will be able to delete own post/topics.

If you have better idea for name, please tell :)

No problem, but can you confirm that in this two day the already read messages are not automatically mark as read?

(I don't remember how many post I have done.... I want to be Approved!)

Luca

• Advanced Member

Andrew this is looking amazing. well done

Wow Andrew!

I just downloaded this new alpha build after purchasing the 2.10 build of 3D Brush as a convert from a prior version of Zbrush. I am in love with this voxel editing.

I have a design request for you if you can find time. My team is one of the growing hundreds of developer houses that are using the TGE game engine as a means to develop quality gaming experiences at an affordable level. Is it possible to work on an importer/exporter for the TGE and TGEA game engines offered by Garage Games?

It seems your price structure making your application accessible to Indy developers such as myself would be an ideal group to cater toward to give a power set of tools for game developers to compliment their existing world builder. They have full SDK for the DTS and DIF formats which are what are used. DTS are standard art/detail objects and DIF are special non-concave sufaced automatically physics & collision detection ready object formats used in the engine. The engine is based on the Tribes 2 engine and is an excellent solution for many starting companies like mine.

My current work flow looks like this:

Milkshape/Max-> (obj/lwo/3ds) 3DBrush (formerly Zbrush)->Milkshape/Max->(exporter to DTS) and then use another very limited app to design DIF objects (Suitable for static objects like a building DIF allow baked shadows DTS don't) then import into the world builder for placement as DTS/DIF. The devil is in the detail of keeping the texture coordinates and mapping consistent through all of this process..

Ideally it would go Milkshape/Max/3DBrush->(3D Brush)->(DTS/DIF) World Builder

Anyway thank you for your time and effort.

While a novel idea the amount of work that you are suggesting is pretty crazy, i mean it took GG years to deliver constructor, and to date they cant deliver a feature consistant DTS exporter for current Apps. We used torque in work for one of our projects and its a pretty hacke together piece of crap, i mean you can do the basic stuff with it, but if you want to change anything it falls to bits.. you might be better off looking towards something else... anything else..at all

• Advanced Member

Nice release. The voxel tools seem to come together very nicely.

As much as I love the new carve brush, I think it is now closer to a Scrape/Fill tool, which is great, and should be renamed appropriately. However I miss a simple carve brush to quickly carve holes / extrude matter. Much like the original one.

Voxel pinch is very nice. Much like the attract/repel from Claytools. Love that.

Love the new carve in combination with alpha. Very powerfull.

Dunno if the surfacic operations makes much sense now. Anyway if kept, they should be grouped in a surfacic category at some point.

When pen radius with pressure is enabled, I find annoying that the pressure also affects the smooth radius operation (w/Shift). Should only affect strenght of smooth in my opinion. What do the other guys think?

2d Paint ('Plane sculpt' would make more sense) is unusable. Need a way to orient and zoom in/out the working plane. I suggested using a key modifier in another post to rotate/zoom the plane with the mouse.

Still think the navigation needs a gimball mode. Try working on a sphere from every angle, it's impossible. But that's another matter, and not related to voxels. I wrote a separate topic on that one.

Thanks again for daring exploring the unknown. This will kick some ass in the CG community for sure :P

That's an awesome video Is that actually you speaking or a text to speech program? It's a little odd that it only plays through the left speakers. Is it hosted on your own server? I'd love to share it with a larger audience but I don't want to kill your bandwidth. If it is, try uploading it to Photobucket (free) it will be automatically converted to Flash and they will take the bandwidth hit, not you.

That's an awesome video Is that actually you speaking or a text to speech program? It's a little odd that it only plays through the left speakers. Is it hosted on your own server? I'd love to share it with a larger audience but I don't want to kill your bandwidth. If it is, try uploading it to Photobucket (free) it will be automatically converted to Flash and they will take the bandwidth hit, not you.

Phil:

Yes, that's me, no phony speech here. It's O.K., I'd like to see some bandwidth usage over there at SimplyAnimate.com. I will soon be transferring everything to "3DCoatings.net" where I have unlimited bandwidth. That site is down right now. If you want, go ahead and post a link.

Psmith

Updated to V.20 (Win, Mac - soon)

Changes:

1) MUCH faster Carve/extrude tools

2) Symmetrical copy command to make both sides identical

3) New tool - extrude (in some way like carve)

4) First version of export (Merge as ref mesh->export/retopo). Slightly crappy but... it first.

5) rearranget tools

6) Follow brush

7) "Rings" bug fixed

8) Better quality of "Increase resolution"

Nice weekend!

ps: 3DBob, your issue is not fixed.. but in order.