3DCoat Forums

You can use any disk for virtual memory - there are setting in windows - see my tutorial on this topic.

Yes, thanks, but I already know how to set my virtual memory. That wasn't the problem. :-)

What I wanted to know is why I was getting that error message about needing more virtual memory when my win xp had 200mb vm on C: and 4Gb vm on E:

Most programs use the common windows virtual memory. Does 3d Coat use it's on virtual memory or scratch disk that needs to be set up?

Cheers

I may have missed something but are we able to paint our voxel sculpts yet? If so I can't get it to work. What is the sequence of steps?

Also, is there a way to change the pivot point of the mesh?

No you can't paint VS sculptures (unless there's something I haven't been told) The pivot is just set by clicking when you rotate.

• Advanced Member
Yes, thanks, but I already know how to set my virtual memory. That wasn't the problem. :-)

What I wanted to know is why I was getting that error message about needing more virtual memory when my win xp had 200mb vm on C: and 4Gb vm on E:

Most programs use the common windows virtual memory. Does 3d Coat use it's on virtual memory or scratch disk that needs to be set up?

Cheers

I've got 3 gigs of ram and have my virtual memory set at 8 gigs and I still get memory errors. Especially when I try to use something like 'to polygones'.

• Advanced Member

Cheers

I've got 3 gigs of ram and have my virtual memory set at 8 gigs and I still get memory errors. Especially when I try to use something like 'to polygones'.

• Advanced Member
Take a look at #19 post of this thread:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1650

I didn't report it as a bug because I wasn't sure if it was a bug. That's why I used the word "assume". I the phrase "the export obj/lws" goes away after a minute. After I click the "To Polygons" I wait until it finishes (I can tell when I mouse over the pen selection and the panel pops up) but when I go to the export option, it is still grayed out. I get the limitations message if I click it.

It's frustrating because this is the only place I know of where I can find out what I'm doing wrong. And while my video card isn't that new, it's not that old either. I haven't had a major problem with any game or application -- Lightwave beta, Terragen, Imagesynth, Vue, Zbrush, etc. I can run Crysis nearly maxed out at 1680 x 1050.

Anyway, thanks for responding.I've had this back problem for a couple months and leaves me in constant pain and I guess makes me "cranky."

[Edit} Forgot to mention I'm using build 25.

Thanks, I don't feel so bad now! lol!!!

I thought maybe it was because most of my VM wasn't on C: drive. (Or something!)

Cheers

Doug

• Advanced Member
Thanks, I don't feel so bad now! lol!!!

I thought maybe it was because most of my VM wasn't on C: drive. (Or something!)

Cheers

Doug

Naw...it's just part of the process of watching a tool we've dreamed of be created before our very eyes and with the artist's direct participation. I'm sure Andrew will make sure 3dC is a cool, sleek and powerful modeling machine for us to marvel all the galleries with! :)

Now if I could only learn to model. hehe...Slow going there....

Naw...it's just part of the process of watching a tool we've dreamed of be created before our very eyes and with the artist's direct participation. I'm sure Andrew will make sure 3dC is a cool, sleek and powerful modeling machine for us to marvel all the galleries with! :)

A work in progress, I understand, no problem.

Now if I could only learn to model. hehe...Slow going there....

Ya, well-we all hope for the best, don't we? :-)

Cheers

Doug

• Advanced Member

From what I remembered XP 32bit won't recognize memory larger than 3.5gigs, and that includes physical+virtual.

So the maximal "virtual memory" XP can use from your system should be 1gig(3gigs physical + 1gig virtual), I don't think XP recognizes the other 7 gigs.

akira.

From what I remembered XP 32bit won't recognize memory larger than 3.5gigs, and that includes physycal+virtual.

So the maximal virtual memory XP can use from your system should be 1gig, I don't think XP recognizes the other 7 gigs.

akira.

Under XP/Vista 32 3DC can use maximum 3 GB (usually 2GB, to use 3GB you should make what is described there).

Under XP/Vista 32 3DC can use maximum 3 GB (usually 2GB, to use 3GB you should make what is described there).

That still does not answer my original question:

Most programs use the common windows virtual memory. Does 3d Coat use it's own virtual memory or scratch disk that needs to be set up?

Could you plese address this? Thanks in advance.

(Or maybe I just misunderstood?)

• Advanced Member

Hi been watching this app for a while.

I am just down loading the Alpha and I am going to give it a good play.

This software looks good - I hope I can give some relvant feedback.

Good for Zbrush and Mudbox to have some competition.

Keep up the good work, its truely amazing how the software has developed so rapidly.

Jake

www.jake-hempson.com

• Advanced Member

Hi all,

the "to polygons" command on the latest alpha osx work very well and incredibly fast :) but, a question, there is a way to decrease resolution when converting the object from voxel to polys?

-TOXE

Hi all,

the "to polygons" command on the latest alpha osx work very well and incredibly fast :) but, a question, there is a way to decrease resolution when converting the object from voxel to polys?

-TOXE

Use retopo tool. See there Deadman21's great result -

3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1564

Btw, does it really runs faster on 8 cores on OSX?

• Advanced Member
From what I remembered XP 32bit won't recognize memory larger than 3.5gigs, and that includes physical+virtual.

So the maximal "virtual memory" XP can use from your system should be 1gig(3gigs physical + 1gig virtual), I don't think XP recognizes the other 7 gigs.

akira.

Well no wonder it didn't make any difference.

Most programs use the common windows virtual memory. Does 3d Coat use it's own virtual memory or scratch disk that needs to be set up?

Error message sometimes means that you are making some mem-consuming thing, sometimes - it is simply bug. So please send bugreports, it helps me to fix such bugs.

Of course 3DC uses common virtual memory.

• Advanced Member
Use retopo tool. See there Deadman21's great result -

3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1564

Btw, does it really runs faster on 8 cores on OSX?

Hi Andrew, thanks for the link, i've missed that discussion... It runs much faster, maybe not so fast as i expected but is good. About retopo, i think it's much better to have an additional window with parameters to set the number of triangles when i'm converting geometry. Without it we can have the same problems like in Zbrush where some operations are not so intuitive... I think the whole workflow of 3D coat is better than ZBrush

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Of course, I will make several ways.

Now simplest ones come.

- hipoly object

- direct retopo

- triangular simplification

I hope I will do also auto - quads in future. There are good ideas on this topic.

If you will be able to convert a scuplted figure into quads, you will start a little revolution.

BTW thanks for your constant passion and attention. You're on my personal top ten of this year with my daughter and a few others ;)

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Hi Doug,

I was getting the same error message after continue sculpting a period of time, but I don't think my virtual memory was not enough, I guessed it's a memory leak issue.

So I launched this program then 3DC becomes more stable with it. You should try it!

Hope it helps.

akira.

What I do not understand: You can show a "skin" over the voxels, so that I don't see the cubes but a surface. What is this skin? Why it isn't possible to take this skin and paint over it? Why is it so complicated with need to retopologize or to convert it into something different? It is clear, that if this would be a possibility, than it would have been integrated since the beginning. But I don't understand what this "skin" is. Do you have a short explanation for me, please?

• Advanced Member

I don't think Andrew has mentioned this - but in the latest version of 3D Coat the Sphere tool will now let us draw in empty space. So there's no longer any need to mess around with that draw plane on the 2D paint tool. Just select Sphere and draw your model! WOOT!

It's super cool!