Jump to content
3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

Recommended Posts

I found strange bug in several latest releases, when I bake model from retopo to paint room and do curvature calculation it runs forever. Goes beyond 1000% and more and you must kill app to stop calculation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dexsoft said:

I found strange bug in several latest releases, when I bake model from retopo to paint room and do curvature calculation it runs forever. Goes beyond 1000% and more and you must kill app to stop calculation.

Try this : Disable "separate paint objects" in the curvature dialogue.

If you do have several objects, leave it ticked on, but hide the paint objects and make the high polys visible instead for the curvature calculation.
 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the option to pan with the MMB while holding the Alt key. Somehow I had the feeling this was possible in the older versions.
It is much easier for the muscle memory if all viewport navigation is in the more similar style.
Is there a setting where I can switch this on that I haven´t found so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, puntoit said:

I miss the option to pan with the MMB while holding the Alt key. Somehow I had the feeling this was possible in the older versions.
It is much easier for the muscle memory if all viewport navigation is in the more similar style.
Is there a setting where I can switch this on that I haven´t found so far?

Click on the Camera menu at top right of screen > customize navigation
then create an entry something like this :

image.png.211ad3ce307c4fbe72256e45636047af.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Silas Merlin said:

Click on the Camera menu at top right of screen > customize navigation
then create an entry something like this :

image.png.211ad3ce307c4fbe72256e45636047af.png
 

thanks a lot. I wonder why I did not try this. I guess I´ve let my brain go a too complex way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI when I tried to download the latest version from Pilgway.com I got a warning from my Malwarebytes that the page was blocked due to a trojan. When I downloaded from the other link it was fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BIG fukin Bug in 3dcoat 4.9.68  frequently shortcuts are reset to some default preset... this is nightmare U never should do that  to anybody man

 

 

btw. philnolan3d  its  false positive

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tcwik Well, I have sort off similar issues... but it's with almost every build(don't know for how long). The issue is, interface partially reset itself, guides are turning off, brushes doesn't keep size and tip settings, auto pick is turning on by itself, etc.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but a have this only now in 4.9.68 I reinstall 3x times and nothing helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

using primitives like is shown in the recent lion with snake video is not attractive to me.

Notice it means dealing with the dreaded gizmo, too.

What I would really like and use would be a means to add vertices and thus draw polygons "in the air". What is so frustrating to me is that the means to do so is in fact implemented ("on plane" mode in retopo room), but so badly that it can't be used at all, or, at least, I need to be shown how it works because no matter how much I try, I can't figure it out. (It requires using RMB, which is also used by all the retopo tools...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

using primitive is referring to box of clay ;] slowly build  a base mass of what U doing, very nice idea!, but too analog'ish XD in 3d world you could have rigged animals presets; some kind of dynamic presets maybe a commercial library ..no need to reinvent the wheel ;]

Edited by tcwik
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this latest update before 2021 ver? Because it is tragic. Curvature calculation work bad and it is 2-3 times slower than in version 4.9.34. I had to install back that version. Why calculation engine has changed? It was perfect and now is unusable completely. When you bake from retopo edges are bad, lot of black areas. Also lot of interuption in work like simple paint in paintroom and suddenly brushes dont work, need to restart... simple bake from high poly to lowpoly produces visible uv seems. That dodnt fixed and it is basic thing. I dont understand how you guys make your bakes when seems are so visible. I understand that I need to find and apply good shader in sculptroom and bake. Then why you keep those shaders which produces seems on bake? Isnt that wierd. Why we use them if they are not usable? They can be used only if you work only in sculpt room and never bake them.

So I think you need to debug this latest vesion. Unfortunatelly adding a lot of new features bring us more bugs. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dexsoft said:

Is this latest update before 2021 ver?

It might be the last version until the new 2021 one comes out. I think they mentioned that it will be releasing early 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using the latest beta and trying to export my retopo mesh. It seems whatever I try the file saves out as 1kb and has no polygons when I load it into LigthWave. I tried saving as  LWO and OBJ. Tried adding a UV map, tried using Export as well as Export Selected. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, philnolan3d said:

I'm using the latest beta and trying to export my retopo mesh. It seems whatever I try the file saves out as 1kb and has no polygons when I load it into LigthWave. I tried saving as  LWO and OBJ. Tried adding a UV map, tried using Export as well as Export Selected. Any ideas?

-drag the retopo layer to the retopo models panel
-in retopo menu do > Clear mesh
-click on the model in the retopo models panel and apply without snapping.
-export again

-report back here :)


EDIT :
Had it been an FBX export, I would have said : check, and double check the file name and the whole file path (name of folders) for non standard characters (like é ô ù, etc...)

Also, with this retopo that you can't export, can you bake it to paint room ? (I think you will crash)

 

Edited by Silas Merlin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.69930b4d7b8185e3eda13c44630d9e76.png
This never had any effect for me. I always figured I was missing something, and I thought, oh well, nevermind.

Now all of a sudden it works, but ONLY if I disable this box :
image.png.4b319186eb0843cf9baabd4317204304.png

Shouldn't it work regardless ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 1:20 AM, dexsoft said:

Is this latest update before 2021 ver? Because it is tragic. Curvature calculation work bad and it is 2-3 times slower than in version 4.9.34. I had to install back that version. Why calculation engine has changed? It was perfect and now is unusable completely. When you bake from retopo edges are bad, lot of black areas. Also lot of interuption in work like simple paint in paintroom and suddenly brushes dont work, need to restart... simple bake from high poly to lowpoly produces visible uv seems. That dodnt fixed and it is basic thing. I dont understand how you guys make your bakes when seems are so visible. I understand that I need to find and apply good shader in sculptroom and bake. Then why you keep those shaders which produces seems on bake? Isnt that wierd. Why we use them if they are not usable? They can be used only if you work only in sculpt room and never bake them.

So I think you need to debug this latest vesion. Unfortunatelly adding a lot of new features bring us more bugs. 

 

I'm really finding 3DCoat unsafe to use for painting overall and it's very worrying about the future to upgrade if Andrew and his team can't solve the existing bugs like painting with displacement. I sent him an example sphere from Zbrush and Andrew said it was too extreme yet it works fine using it to sculpt and create displacement in Zbrush.

Also CC3 Human characters created by Reallusion also tear at some areas, not necessarily seams but abrupt zig zags in  edgeloops rather than equilateral quads. I'm thinking the brush and baking struggles with topology. I'm extremely annoyed by these bugs for over a year and a half.. they kill projects.. you start one and then a day or a week into it you find 3DCoat suddenly shows glitches. @Andrew Shpagin

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering why frequency of posts and updates here has slowed?  Are things ok with devs? Is this still actively being developed or on hiatus?  Just wondering as we're eagerly awaiting v2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, popwfx said:

Just wondering why frequency of posts and updates here has slowed?  Are things ok with devs? Is this still actively being developed or on hiatus?  Just wondering as we're eagerly awaiting v2021.

My guess would be they're concentrating on a final sprint to polish and release 3DCoat 2021.

There might be the occasional spare time to fix a bug in the current builds here and there but I wouldn't be surprised if we won't see any major improvements before the new thing is really ready to publish. Maybe between finishing and getting the store and marketing ready there'd be a window but I wouldn't count on it.

That'd be my speculation, mind you. I seriously doubt 3DCoat has stopped being developed is what I'm saying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@popwfx Development team are in hurry to make the release but think it will be the end of March.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think about to hide root layer? Don't know who using this, but it will give a bit space and better hierarchy for real layers. Though i think whole widow should be revamp as it's old and not user-friendly, often you can click and convert layer accidently. Other indications here also not very optimized for work, for example color in layers etc. I don't know, in photoshop(as it have similar UI) all fine but here layers looks chaotic in tree

nwyV6HZ.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sprayer said:

What do you think about to hide root layer? Don't know who using this, but it will give a bit space and better hierarchy for real layers. Though i think whole widow should be revamp as it's old and not user-friendly, often you can click and convert layer accidently. Other indications here also not very optimized for work, for example color in layers etc. I don't know, in photoshop(as it have similar UI) all fine but here layers looks chaotic in tree

nwyV6HZ.jpg

root layer used to be very useful:
after baking you could simply hide root and go to paint room.

Now that doesn't work. going to paint room makes it visible.

So yes, I agree, it doesn't serve any purpose anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×