3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.9 BETA testing thread

On 2/10/2021 at 10:20 AM, celer said:

Using 4.9.68 on Mac there is a bug with the "Add Cone" in the sculpt room, when adding a cone to a surface voxlayer, if the cone has a filet defined, then after a while of resizing the cone and adjusting the fillet, the fillet will no longer be honored.

I was using the cone/w fillet to make teeth and after making about 5 or 6 teeth it looses the fillet setting, but can be reset with "Reset scale". 

Ok, it appears that the issue can be reproduced by creating a cone in a surface layer and then scaling it and adjusting the fillet, a couple of times and then undoing. It appears the action of undoing causes the fillet settings to no longer be honored.

10.03.21 4.9.71 (stable)

- Trial for beta features extended.

- Seams problem for shaders solved (when you load bump map for shader).

• Thanks 3

@Andrew Shpagin Ok, but could you fix issue with flat shade in Render Room(visible intersection of two objects)? I've been using flat shade as clown pass and now it's f***ed up.

4 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

10.03.21 4.9.71 (stable)

- Trial for beta features extended.

- Seams problem for shaders solved (when you load bump map for shader).

Ah good, I was wondering about that.

It'd be nice to have the new version available for Linux too. Beta features trial ends tomorrow in the current version (4.9.70).

15.03.21 4.9.72 (stable)

- Fixed import meshes with seams into retopo room.

- Applied most of the user's texts provided by the translation system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Andrew Shpagin thank you for the update! has a fix for painting smart materials using depth in PPP mode been resolved as well? This is that "Extreme UV sphere"  I've shared that works no problem in Zbrush. The black spike coming out in this case is not from multiple of UVs but more so it looks like it is from a sudden T shape split rather than from a smooth S shape otherwise all the UVs would be effected.  This same thing has happened on Reallusion's CC3+ Characters that are actually designed for displacement (I've shared to you on the forum inbox)  and spikes arise due to hard edge topology. A Z shape or L seems to be too hard for 3DCoat, smooth contours is only what 3DCoat is currently compatible with. If you search my postings of characters having displacement spikes you will confirm that it's the topology creating the  sudden artifact. This spike is not a glitch of 3DCoat's viewport.. I've exported models and have seen the same artifacts in other programs -Marmoset Toolbag & iClone.

image.png

image.png

Hi guys, i just download the latest version 4.9.72 and steady stroke is not working at all and i am using the build brush in voxel sculpting room?

Tried to adjust steady stroke value and it has no effect at all.

Hi 

I am testing that version, is working fine from my side, sorry

image_2021-03-17_180852.png

38 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Hi 

I am testing that version, is working fine from my side, sorry

image_2021-03-17_180852.png

OK i think i understand why i was using it with the lasso stroke options and steady stroke is not working with all stroke modes and i just realize this after 1 year my bad!

• Haha 1

So with the latest version (4.9.72)  in PPP mode toggling  Depth has no effect, even reducing the depth level has no effect.  

Edited by Ascensi

This issue seems to be project specific, adjusting and toggling depth is working on a fresh project.

• Thanks 1

Is curvature calculating fixed? If not then it is useless for me. I still use 4.9.34 where calculating is still ok

Hi , i have a bug with pinch brush it does not stop when vertices get close.  Anyone else noticed similar?

Capture.PNG

Displacement in PPP mode version (4.9.72) still has an issue with spikes on the extreme UV sphere I sent you.   I don't know if you specifically managed to reduce the spike problem or if I just hit a miracle with ideal UV & mesh topology but it's not ideal for looser topology/sculpts meaning 3DCoat is too strict if models have to be this perfect to use displacement.

This is a different  sphere I'm testing out with the cleanest/simplest topology,  setup with UV seams split perfectly straight, no zigzags, setup with 8K. In this image it is in low poly view with wireframe, the uv area is also shown off to the  side.  At the UV poles there are no glitches at least and the 8k textures seem to load much faster now! 

If you didn't make any changes that would change how depth is painted then I'd suggest you try out smart material displacement painting with less clean topology with Zig zags  on the UV edge like the image of the purple sphere below. Perhaps if you didn't fix the displacement issue that currently the only way  a UV or multiple UVs will work is that it is perfectly matched with non edge flow. The Character below is from Reallusion, it should work but it tears at specific areas. I'm showing you the hi poly displacement and what low poly looks like  so you see the topology that 3DCoat is not respecting.  I hope you can come up with a solution @Andrew Shpagin    

image.thumb.png.b885c4f65083aa6cdca00f45270d7f40.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

To be clear, 3DCoat will only allow non glitchy displacement with UVs cut out on straight lines, it doesn't like any staircase UV cuts like the purple sphere above and  I have no idea why it wouldn't work in the butt  area there  unless maybe the angle is too extreme?

The displacement spikes can arise from both staircase topology or staircases UVs. 

Edited by Ascensi

I have always had this issue with the grow tool : from time to time it decides somehow to save the current parameters for the tool, and it will subsequently always revert to those parameters after reopening the software.... Until weeks or months later when it will again decide to save the current parameters....

it's very annoying but today it got worse :

I used tapering the other day, and now tapering is enabled each time I start 3d-Coat, no matter what.

also alpha rotation sets itself to 171 instead of 0 each time I start..

Edited by Silas Merlin

Here is a bear I created in Zbrush (currently my modeling choice) and I painted it in Zbrush.. my choice would be using 3DCoat.. Zbrush doesn't create crotch holes and other holes unlike what would happen if I use 3DCoat..   it's using a CC3 Character ,  just like the character I shared with you  @Andrew Shpagin to help identify the spikes  and holes that are being created.   I'm only making a reference to Zbrush to show that there is an obvious issue with painting displacement in 3DCoat that needs correction.  So could you now help to fix your displacement painting system?  thanks.

I can't say I've seen "crotch holes" or other holes in my 3DC works.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

Try PPP mode painting characters with displacement.. and if you have a Reallusion CC3 character you'd be able to confirm it.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, philnolan3d said:

Just an update to prove the issue and a challenge to anyone that can prove me wrong. @Andrew Shpagin  I wouldn't normally use Zbrush for painting displacement but this is to show that 3DC has a real problem. I find bugs in other programs often but it seems like this one keep getting ignored in 3DCoat so I want to show how obvious it is.  Crotch holes isn't the focus here.. it's holes that appear in various places because 3DC brush seems to be too strict or restricting either based on topology curvature or zigzags in the UV/edge loops.  So this is what I was talking about.. This is the same character in zbrush as my above example. The bear I created is also using the same model just morphed but i used neither program to paint displacement. Instead I painted the fur and turned it into a displacement in a 3rd party app. 

image.thumb.png.50b0d46a88d5e77c44d8739b9684e9bd.pngimage.thumb.png.eb178b77362375cf9a4da470e3504f64.png

Edited by Ascensi

Just an update for @Andrew Shpagin , the crotch and other holes don't appear in other programs once exported, so that's a view port issue that should gets some attention to avoid feedback about having holes.. but the displacement spikes still have been visible in other programs like  Marmoset Toolbag and iClone etc.  It's kind of hard to paint if we can't see what or how something is painted.  Perhaps there should be a note at least when people paint with displacement, warning that holes don't actually exist from painting and that the model will be fine once exported (if you choose not to fix the display issue) So here is a quick confirmation image.. but again I can't see that area that I'm painting how it will look and that is still a problem, it was a big crotch hole lol 

image.png

• Haha 1

There are people who can't post on this thread, (permissions), so they are reporting issues on the discord.

I meant the other thread

Edited by Silas Merlin

I am trying to import a textured mesh in the sculptroom, seems not to be possible anymore?

Edited by spacepainter
spelling