3DCoat Forums

Concerning: Please Read!! - Forum Reputation System

polyxo

• Contributor

Hi Admins,

in my opinion such a Forum voting system is a very bad idea and will cause more harm than good in

the community. I will certainly not use this feature and wished that this option got removed.

Please consider.

Holger

I certainly don't want to rate anybody ("Judge not, lest ye be judged") and it might generate some flame wars. This is a job for admin.

:mellow:

• Advanced Member

I find it slightly distasteful that we see a post encouraging its use but to me its unclear what the intended benefit is to be if the system is adopted and used as described.

If as suggested it is mainly used for positive encouragement and the like how is this any better than someone replying saying agreed, nice comment?

Whats in it for the user? Whats in it for admin? How will the community as a whole benefit from this? Why no discussion first?

Also,

Why arent there more positive-encouragement posts about using the Wiki?

Why present the Bug forum in a manner that too a new user, some may stumble upon and think Gee this softwares forum sure has a lot of bug topics

"No sir, I don't like it."

• Advanced Member

First off, I TOTALLY AGREE about the negative votes are just a bad idea.

There are already two mechanisms to deal with obnoxious users - report them to admins, and/or block them.

Neither of which I've ever had to do, but still it's there.

With that said, I DO like the idea of being able to give someone kudos for an excellent explanation or good work or whatever.

That to me is good thing, and helps herd qualify users, without the potential unhappiness that could result from the negatives.

Just have a dig-it button ;) without the hate-it button.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I must admit my post comes across as a little bit of an over-reaction. Happy to leave it there and not edit, but for the record on reflection now I don't think quite the same as I did a few hours ago. Musta been the morning-blues.

Looks like some egos need forum respect :p:

Seriously there's no need for that here. No one is going learn more of 3D-coat because of that. This is not a game where you need reputation to advance in the game. It's not a buy/sell forum so theres no need for trust indicators.

If someone post out of "forum status" maybe it should be playing World of WarCraft.

This forum might need better stuff than that. More energy to things that actually make 3D-Coat community more alive and kicking than status.

Maybe Challenges, a Preset Stock, Models Stock, videos (being made), and so on.

Cheers

Wow, a little overboard on the reaction aren't we?

First I'll quote a wise persons post:

First off, I TOTALLY AGREE about the negative votes are just a bad idea.

There are already two mechanisms to deal with obnoxious users - report them to admins, and/or block them.

Neither of which I've ever had to do, but still it's there.

With that said, I DO like the idea of being able to give someone kudos for an excellent explanation or good work or whatever.

That to me is good thing, and helps herd qualify users, without the potential unhappiness that could result from the negatives.

Just have a dig-it button ;) without the hate-it button.

Thanks for this post. This is why I created my post and encouraged people to use this feature (Which, btw, was already here from the start).

Why not give some kudos to a user for giving a helping hand, or creating some good looking work in 3DC? I don't see the harm in that. This isn't about judging anyone or painting them in a negative light. It's also not possible to incite a flame war or argument, as the usage of the kudos (I shall henceforth call it kudos) system is entirely anonymous. Furthermore, it's not a voting system. You're not voting on anything. As cakeller said, and I'll repeat again, it's a way to give kudos to your comrades on the forums here.

I should have clarified that in my post, and when I have some time later today (I really need to head to bed), I'll edit my post and clarify with further information with which will most likely be what I have posted in this post.

• Like 2

I've edited my original post on the original thread.

PS - If you don't like to give someone kudos for them giving you a helping hand, or for them creating something awesome or doing great work in 3DC, that is of course your choice.

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

I am strictly against any such voting system and I wished that this function was abolished.

That's why I wrote and I'd appreciate it this wish wasn't considered a overreaction.

In the long years I use newsgroups and forums I never had a problem identifying people who

had something interesting to contribute. I needed no badge, no five stars or anything else to

find what I consider valueable. Also many other people seem capable of this and they normally

find the most adequate means to show their respect and gratitude: Words

Such a Respect/Disrespect-push-button is something completely different from a written

statement:

It triggers primitive motions. It's anonymous. Within seconds, without even having to think one

can take influence on the "status/fame" a poster has in future. One has to understand that also a single

Kudos-Button (without an explicit negative option) makes no difference. It establishes very questionable

status shifts.

This whole voting-thing actually appears so tremendously absurd to me that even discussing seems a

waste of time to me, sorry! Whenever I saw this "feature" in other places I got immediately disgusted.

Therefor it has nothing to do with being dramatic, it's just a clear thing to me:

As soon as this rubbish gets established in these forums I will no longer contribute.

PS - If you don't like to give someone kudos for them giving you a helping hand, or for them creating something awesome or doing great work in 3DC, that is of course your choice.

I normally don't use this system, but today I try to give a negative vote, the first, and the system said that I have already reach my negative quote for today. It's not right! ;-)

For positive ones work fine.

I respect the opinion of the administrator, but in my opinion it was better to remove it. my two cents.

Luca

I'm not sure where anyone got the idea this was a voting system. This is NOT a voting system. You can simply give kudos to a users post, NOT FOR SPECIFIC USERS. You can rate a user if you wish, that is entirely separate from the intent of my post and I only made mention of it in case anyone wanted to do so.

For me it makes more sense to establish a voting system for threads not for users...

Rene

That is essentially what it is - Though just for individual posts.

I normally don't use this system, but today I try to give a negative vote, the first, and the system said that I have already reach my negative quote for today. It's not right! ;-)

For positive ones work fine.

Luca

Negative has been disabled by the webmaster.

I am strictly against any such voting system and I wished that this function was abolished.

That's why I wrote and I'd appreciate it this wish wasn't considered a overreaction.

In the long years I use newsgroups and forums I never had a problem identifying people who

had something interesting to contribute. I needed no badge, no five stars or anything else to

find what I consider valueable. Also many other people seem capable of this and they normally

find the most adequate means to show their respect and gratitude: Words

Such a Respect/Disrespect-push-button is something completely different from a written

statement:

It triggers primitive motions. It's anonymous. Within seconds, without even having to think one

can take influence on the "status/fame" a poster has in future. One has to understand that also a single

Kudos-Button (without an explicit negative option) makes no difference. It establishes very questionable

status shifts.

This whole voting-thing actually appears so tremendously absurd to me that even discussing seems a

waste of time to me, sorry! Whenever I saw this "feature" in other places I got immediately disgusted.

Therefor it has nothing to do with being dramatic, it's just a clear thing to me:

As soon as this rubbish gets established in these forums I will no longer contribute.

Don't like it, don't use it. It's pretty easy to ignore it. You've done well so far haven't you? It's been a feature of the forum software before I even mentioned it. If it was a problem then how come you didn't mention it yourself before I made mention of it? If you have a problem with me trying to get users to be a little more proactive on the forums well then, I'm sorry. But I wont stop trying to get users to become more proactive on here.

You're really taking things much too far with it. It's NOT a voting system. It's NOT a rating system for users. It's a system to see whether a post was helpful to someone. The higher number, the more helpful the post obviously was. I don't see a big deal with this.

• Advanced Member

If Negative has been disabled I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

I still don't like this option and there's also that stupid user-rating thing (stars).

Frankly - I don't get it: These features exist for long but nobody cared to use them.

Now people get remembered by an official announcement and strongly encouraged to start

expressing their opinion by pressing a push-button.

But people refrain, they don't change their behaviour and also clearly express their disliking.

Why don't you just deactivate that stuff then?

If we were talking about a shortcoming of 3DC here Andrew would already have fixed it.

But here things are to stay. Why?

• Advanced Member

Likewise. :)

Guys why don't you then go ahead and open up a 3DCoat forum on CG-Talk or such?

There you were free to establish whatever user-reputation system to your liking.

This is the official software support-forum and not a Social-Network à la Facebook.

I appreciated when moderators respected feedback of their fellow users and left us

alone with that fluff.

Holger

There is no need to lay down insults, Holger. You've made your point and I appreciate it, saying we don't respect your input is down right incorrect, and insults wont help your cause I'm afraid.

You are NOT being forced to use the system. If you don't like it, DON'T use it! It's pretty simple, ignore it as you were before. That is all more I will say on this matter.

polyxo, as mentioned previously, I will not engage in a tit-for-tat conversation. Please refer to your PM, thanks.

I will only say this one more time. If you don't like the feature, DON'T USE IT. This applies to anyone whom does not like it. The feature was here already and in slight usage, if you don't like the fact that we are encouraging users to use it, I'm sorry, but that will not change. I like seeing users being proactive on the forums.

I've already told Andrew about the apparent dismay from a small number of users. If he has a problem with this feature, he will let it be known.

• Contributor

I may agree that "-" is really not too good and may lead to wars.

But "+" can be helpful to mark really right and useful answer. I will ask webmaster if he can do that.

And please, please, be patient and kind to each other! All questions could be solved in a fair way!

:thank_you:

It might be helpful if we had an emoticon of a small teapot, perhaps animated and with a bit of steam to indicate a tempest.

edit: I sincerely hope that no one interprets this as sarcasm for this is definitely not my intention, Any remarks I make in these forums are only intended to inform or amuse.

Be creative,

Tony