3DCoat Forums

Brush Cursor Disappears

I have had something strange happen after using Alpha 31, (newest), and trying to record the screen with Camtasia. All worked well, except for the 3D grid overlapping everything and model disappearing when viewed at certain angles, as others have noted.

After launching Camtasia to record screen action, (possibly just a coincidence), my brush cursor appears only as a dot. I've tried both GL and DX versions and get the same result.

The problem is fixed after restart.

Psmith

I'm seeing a great improvement in "Increase Resolution", especially with preservation of detail and smoothing. It is now possible to sculpt moderately fine detail, (wrinkles, ear folds, etc.) at resolutions as low as 1.2 million triangles. Everything is faster - really liking the airbrush for all kinds of things.

I also believe that the symmetry plane is "following" the sculpture, at least, vertically. This is definitely the fastest way to create anything organic, from scratch. I don't know why everyone has not jumped on the 3D-Coat voxel bandwagon. 3D-Coat is looking to me like it is becoming the application of the decade. I'll bet we will all be surprised at the new and wonderful things Andrew has in store for us. Talk about instant gratification.

I've been really hesitant to invest in any new "major" hardware for some years - (I've been "upgrading" since 1985 and have tired of the experience). This is the first time, in a long time, that I have broken down and taken some of my hard earned cash to buy one of the cheap, small, much more powerful "towers" that are available at your local "Big Box" stores. (In the U.S, I mean). $520 including tax. I couldn't help it - 3D-Coat provided the final reason. However, it still runs fine, even on my cheap, old laptop. It just runs much faster and smoother on the new system. (Acer Aspire, triple core, 4 gigs RAM, Nvidia 8600 series).

Psmith

• Advanced Member

I tested the new beta 3.21 on my Mac pro intel under windows xp using boot camp, And I can say the merg into scene like juan states is way better much smoother in the displacement and normals.

The bad news is I cant get the open GL version to run without a crash when loading a model or just switching to the voxle sculpting area. I sent the bug reports through the web interface.

Also when using the dx version I get some strange refresh issues when using the orthographic view. Sort of like parts of the screen does not refresh correctly. I did not have these issues with the 3.30 version.

The machine is a quad core xeon 2.6 nvidia 7300 256. 2 gigs of ram.

Of corse im waiting to test it on the Mac side when this version becomes available.

• Advanced Member

Wow!

This is a great improvement,really,thank you very much.

I'm testing,I have increased resolution(only for testing)on a mesh I'm working,I have gone up to 12 millions!

The speed is good,it's workable(some slowdown but not much),these number are becoming really interesting.

I have tried also to hide part to see is speed up,here I don't have understood if it's works or not,it seems that hiding doesn't make working much faster.

Btw,thank you very much,great release!

Bye

Just thought I'd share last night I made a little video to post on CGTalk in a thread about Mudbox and Body Paint (and 3DC), working in alpha 31 at 16-17m:

http://screencast.com/t/b50q7ez4J8

There was lags in V31 after every stroke on >5M. In 32 it was removed.

Now it works fluently on any resolution on the same pen radius.

OSX version postponed until tomorrow, it is compiled, but does not works properly... Need to fix...

• Advanced Member

The GUI speed up is very much welcome, but I'm wondering if it will be possible to have a faster update in the layers panel. I like sliding things about and testing how things looks under various layer blending options, but dragging the sliders are like wading through treacle!

Perhaps I'm not using them right, but any improvements in this area would be great!

• Advanced Member

Maybe it's better to send a download link by email only to user interested in alpha/beta testing... BTW i wish you have 10000 downloads with 10000 licenses in the future ;)

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
We will set limitation for downloads - 300 MB per host per day.

Btw, TOXE, does newest 3DC works fine ? :) There was big change of technology, so it is interesting.

10000 licenses - cool :) Now we have around 700 customers and it number grows well :)

Hi Andrew, yes work very fine, especially when increase resolution and smooth all, all the brushes are more effcient and the general performance is very very good, but:

-convert to poly don't work

-undo on snake work only one time

-the red wax shader don't work correctly

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Does it crashes? What is resolution of your model?

Does it looks like cavity has froze on the same place on screen?

Yes, cavity problems, i havent found the right words. About convert polys, it don't dislapy any dialogue window. With increased resolution i have in most cases strange polygons and with normal resolution a simple sphere, but sometimes the correct model. It gave me random results. Sorry, i'll try to post a video.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

I got the download last night for the mac os. It works great, actually a bit better than on the windows side of my machine which was a bit odd since performance has been about the same before. I worked for a bout 2.5 hours on a 4.5 million tri model with no problems.

The only issues are the ones others have already stated like slow down in rotating the model when incremental render is turned on. Also I still have the shader problems using those shaders with depth maps like bronze. I still get the concentric rings around the model.

One last thing the windows version still crashes when trying to use GL mode on my Mac pro under windows and the dell I have at work both are using a nvidia 7xxx series card.

I think this kind of effort really needs a bugtracker so that reports won't get lost.

That said, I'm seeing the viewport blackout in volumetric sculpting mode if I deselect 'cast shadows' on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.5 and the most recent build of 3DC3.

Yes, there is special thread -

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1650

I am checking it very often.

Updated to V33

Changes:

1) Slice tool works in retopo with voxel models even on HUGE models ( Jokermax - for you:) ).

2) Use RMB to change depth/radius.

3) Faster incremental render, compatibility with older video cards.

4) Updated text in hints

Also I have a petition to for OSX users. Please, can you check if all is OK with next release update for OSX (2.10.15.02)

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-15-02.dmg

Thank you!

• Advanced Member
Updated to V33

Changes:

1) Slice tool works in retopo with voxel models even on HUGE models ( Jokermax - for you:) ).

2) Use RMB to change depth/radius.

3) Faster incremental render, compatibility with older video cards.

4) Updated text in hints

Also I have a petition to for OSX users. Please, can you check if all is OK with next release update for OSX (2.10.15.02)

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-15-02.dmg

Thank you!

Ill check it out tonight, anything in particular I should be looking for?

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew!

1) Slice does work on voxels now - great!

2) RMB brush control is cool. Can i suggest locking on what user is changing based on initial mouse direction with RMB pressed? Silo does the same thing with MMB and its dead-on most of the time

3) small thing - it is difficult to know now what version is running since you removed alpha 32 from window title

2) RMB brush control is cool. Can i suggest locking on what user is changing based on initial mouse direction with RMB pressed? Silo does the same thing with MMB and its dead-on most of the time

Agree 100%

3) small thing - it is difficult to know now what version is running since you removed alpha 32 from window title

I have forgot to set this number. I will set it in next version.