3DCoat Forums

Please try it in V46. There was random bug that was able to cause this. It was fixed I hope.

I haven't been able to test it a lot, (v46, I haven't even had a chance to download

v47, I agree with the other guy; you're fast) , but things seem pretty good.

At one point merge(on pen & transform) stopped working on lower in hierarchy

sub tools again, then I crashed, but I haven't been able to recreate the problem.

Feature request: With the RMB sub tool subtract; I wish we had the option to

not delete the subtracting sub tool. As it stands now we can clone the sub tool

before subtracting, but I'd be nice to save the step and sometimes with subtraction

I find myself accidentally deleting a parent and losing the children, which appears to

be not undoable .

And for anyone having the missing dll error when trying to run the DirectX version of 3DCoat

under Windows XP, updating to the November 2008 build of DX9 fixed the problem for me.

(But, as always, create a restore point before updating any system files.)

Jeff

• Advanced Member

Has anyone noticed when an objects res is increased a few times, the masks are not scaled properly when sculpting? I have to decrease density the same number as the res increase for the mask preview to match the actual sculpting.

Edit:

Andrew, can you add an option to import and export the raw voxel (.3b) data into and out of the voxel tree? also while keeping the position of the objects so that i can sculpt on it separately (in a new file) and then import it back in at the same position.

I hope that made sense. If not, then i'll get some sleep and try again :)

Has anyone noticed when an objects res is increased a few times, the masks are not scaled properly when sculpting? I have to decrease density the same number as the res increase for the mask preview to match the actual sculpting.

Agree, I will fix it soon.

Andrew, can you add an option to import and export the raw voxel (.3b) data into and out of the voxel tree? also while keeping the position of the objects so that i can sculpt on it separately (in a new file) and then import it back in at the same position.

There is exactly this option in RMB menu.

• Advanced Member

This is a bit off topic, but I wanted to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy and Prosperous New Year. And especially to Andrew and his family, and thank him for the astounding work he has been doing so far.

Cheers,

Franck.

• Advanced Member
Win version updated to V47

Not much changes - most important of reported bugs are fixed - shaders related, deleting/export single object problem fixed.

Deleting/export - you speak about volumetric tools I suppose not standard imported models (deleting UV of deleted mesh etc....)

Am I right?

Cheers P

• Advanced Member
Strange bug in OSX 47 version

Im getting this green line flowing out from the brush almost like a edge loop line. It is present for all brushes

Yes, me too, it's enough strange.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
forgot to remove this marker... I will remove in in the next build (or current).

News on quadrangulation: seems it goes well. At least I have got first quad mesh :) Need to refine and work more, but at least there is light in the tunnel!

Waiting for the miracle on quadrangulation. Good luck, i'm sure you will find the end of the tunnel!

-TOXE

• Contributor

Hi guys ,(or girls)

I found a workarounds to the 2 problems for which I needed a most immediate

solution in order to fully experiment with vs power so I thought why not sharing them with you people

maybe some of you are dealing with those problems.

problem1:

Transpose "select by pen" mode does nothing on your model(no selection)

(I posted about this in Bugzz section)

solution: I noticed the problem occur only once I've saved my file and load back the.3b

If instead of loading back the file the normal way, I use the "Merge .3b" option in the voxtree rmb menu

"select by pen" keeps on working without problems.

problem2:

If you are like me and you really like cutting with the E panel you probably

noticed that it's nearly impossible to cut using precise curves.

You can cut by "closed spline" but it only allows you to cut inward shapes.

You cannot do outward shapes unless you use the "subtract from" option or cut with "paint with drawn contour" mode .

The thing is using this mode it's impossible to do precise curves because of the natural shaking of the human hand.

solution:

(I'm pretty sure Andrew will allow cutting with unclosed splines in the future)

But "meanwhile", I found out a little program called Handwizard that stops the wiggling of the hand

and allows you to use the "paint with drawn contour" mode inside 3dcoat with extreme cad-like precision.

www.microxe.com/

The hic is that but it took me 1 hour to properly understand it(maybe I'm stupid )

I found the manual very complicated not user friendly at all. :blink:

So anyway,maybe some people will find it useful .

cheers ;)

• Advanced Member
You will get 3-10 k quad mesh at output.

Andrew a question please? Are you referring to Quad Dominant Anisotropic Polygonal Remeshing?

If that is so, that is so cool! If not maybe you could take a look at this: http://www.geometry.caltech.edu/pubs/ACDLD03.pdf

Mr. Shpagin you are truly a genius,

Thank you for all your hard work,

P. Monk

problem1:

solution: I noticed the problem occur only once I've saved my file and load back the.3b

If instead of loading back the file the normal way, I use the "Merge .3b" option in the voxtree rmb menu

I was just going to mention this. That's an interesting solution.

I don't know if this is a bug or what but I was just rendering a fairly high poly model and the rendering would not stop. I sat there hitting Esc for a good couple minutes and nothing happened. So I tried lowering the CPU priority, then I tried raising it, then I tried giving 3DC only one core to work on, nothing I tried would stop the render, so eventually I had to End Task on the program.

problem1:

I will solve it in next build.

problem2:

If you are like me and you really like cutting with the E panel you probably

noticed that it's nearly impossible to cut using precise curves.

You can cut by "closed spline" but it only allows you to cut inward shapes.

You cannot do outward shapes unless you use the "subtract from" option or cut with "paint with drawn contour" mode .

The thing is using this mode it's impossible to do precise curves because of the natural shaking of the human hand.

solution:

(I'm pretty sure Andrew will allow cutting with unclosed splines in the future)

But "meanwhile", I found out a little program called Handwizard that stops the wiggling of the hand

and allows you to use the "paint with drawn contour" mode inside 3dcoat with extreme cad-like precision.

www.microxe.com/

I will add anyway possibility do draw inside contour (not only cut by).

Andrew a question please? Are you referring to Quad Dominant Anisotropic Polygonal Remeshing?

If that is so, that is so cool! If not maybe you could take a look at this: http://www.geometry.caltech.edu/pubs/ACDLD03.pdf

Mr. Shpagin you are truly a genius,

Thank you for all your hard work,

P. Monk

I am using own idea (based on mix of existing methods), slightly related to constrained Voronoi clustering. I have read the article you referred, it s also under experimenting.

I don't know if this is a bug or what but I was just rendering a fairly high poly model and the rendering would not stop. I sat there hitting Esc for a good couple minutes and nothing happened. So I tried lowering the CPU priority, then I tried raising it, then I tried giving 3DC only one core to work on, nothing I tried would stop the render, so eventually I had to End Task on the program.

Strange... never seen it. Was ray counter increasing?

• Contributor
I will add anyway possibility do draw inside contour (not only cut by).

You mean adding voxels instead of cutting?

Great!! :D

I knew you were cooking something awesome when you talked about

drawing with closed curves.

Can't wait.....

Also a little note

(to people wondering about quadrangulation benefits)

beisdes the obvious advantages,quadrangulation will allow

complete sculpting interraction between 3dcoat ,mudbox2009

and Zbrush .

Because the only program that breaks the triangle barrier

and allows you to use ANY .obj regardless of it's topology is 3Dcoat.

If you try loading a .obj full of triangles in Zbrush (or even Mb2009)

you'll get a mess when you try smoothing the mesh.

Because it converts everything into voxels 3dCoat is the ultimate 3d integrator and convertor.

You can sculpt on Any mesh. From any apps. :brush:

I think it should be stated on the website,because it is true.

3DCoat allows complete sculpting integration of any mesh from any apps.

if you start thinking about it ; the possibilities are endless:( Google SketchUp,MOI3d....ect)

Have you ever tried sculpting on a Moi3d exported .obj in Zbrush ?

It's impossible.(because of the tris)

While in 3dcoat it's very easy. :D

Quadrangulation wiill allow real back n' forth interaction between 3dc,mb2009 and Zb.

(that is ,of course, only before 3dcoat becomes your only sculpting solution and I can see that being

very near... B) hehe)