3DCoat Forums

Well I think this alpha is getting better and better, I know Andrew can optimize the performance to able to manage more details,

In this model i in cress the resolution 3 time.

i think we are getting closer.

.post-426-1222401010_thumb.jpg

Hey Juan, what are your system specs? How many polys was that?

Also, a "Mirror Voxels" button would be good have. That way on slower systems, you sculpt one side, then mirror the changes.

-Daniel

Found a bug. GL Version

1) Turn on symmetry, add a mark with the carve brush.

2) Switch to move brush, move part of mesh.

3) Hit Ctrl-Z to try and undo move. Instead of the move being undone, the mark placed in step one is undone, and most of the sphere disappears. App doesn't crash though.

• Advanced Member

Mirror Voxels sounds useful and maybe a symmetrical clone voxel brush.

Andrew: would it be possible to implement a "hide voxels" feature so we could hide all the areas we are not sculpting thus speeding up performance?

tree321: Nice sculpt! how did you do the skin texturing? "Draw with pen"?

Wow! It seems like I was away for a week, but I only slept several hours :) So hot discussions and so many superb images!

I want to clarify the situation about export/sculpt/cuda/64/speed/resolution/...

2.10 was released 25.08. I had 2 very hot weeks with support and update after that. So, I am working over voxels fulltime only 2.5-3 weeks... First alpha was result of only 1 week of work splitted over several weeks (of course I have some background, voxels are not something completely new for me, I used it before for landscape generation). It means that all that you want will be done but there is time for every feature. Not years but just weeks. As I mentioned before I am working "by inspiration" - what I feel good this moment. It gives best speed but sometimes looks not consistent.

So, just some patience and you will have all - export, better carving, better speed :) I am glad to see so big enthusiasm.

• Contributor
Wow, this looks incredible. Mind asking how long this took? And how many 'subdivides' were used?

Thank you artaq.I started this with the first alpha and worked on it quite a bit throughout the alphas.I don't keep tract of "real time" I only divided it one time because I only have 1 gig ram.Must upgrade to 4.

Yes texturing was done with pen.It really could use a lot more detail but again need more ram.

This was all done in 3d coat with the default sphere except for the fern leaves grass and tusks.I suppose I could have done some of that with the curve tool now.

One more note about export - I am just waiting for good idea. I want to tell interesting story. When I worked in GSC over game HOAE (fantasy RTS) there was a problem. The game was planned as 2D but at the middle of development we have understood that 2D is not a way. But designers modeled around 100 or 200 buildings for 2D rendering. And a style was hi-poly, some buildings had 5 000 000 plygones and many small sub-objects, so direct simplification was impossible. Not smart way btw. So I decided to convert them to 3D and get no more then 4K per building. I have transformed building to voxels, then simplified them and got low poly mesh. It is one sentence but there was much work. So simplification of BIG meshes is not new to me. But I am waiting for slightly better idea. Current voxel sculpt has got only coefficients of MC algorithm from that time but anyway it was good experience.

Mirror Voxels sounds useful and maybe a symmetrical clone voxel brush.

Andrew: would it be possible to implement a "hide voxels" feature so we could hide all the areas we are not sculpting thus speeding up performance?

Hide will be done but not immediately. But who knows...

You asked about shaders - have you seen improvements for shaders support in latest alpha? Now you can use external textures for effects.

• Advanced Member
Wow! It seems like I was away for a week, but I only slept several hours :) So hot discussions and so many superb images!

I want to clarify the situation about export/sculpt/cuda/64/speed/resolution/...

2.10 was released 25.08. I had 2 very hot weeks with support and update after that. So, I am working over voxels fulltime only 2.5-3 weeks... First alpha was result of only 1 week of work splitted over several weeks (of course I have some background, voxels are not something completely new for me, I used it before for landscape generation). It means that all that you want will be done but there is time for every feature. Not years but just weeks. As I mentioned before I am working "by inspiration" - what I feel good this moment. It gives best speed but sometimes looks not consistent.

So, just some patience and you will have all - export, better carving, better speed :) I am glad to see so big enthusiasm.

Heh i'm going to hold you to that :lol: So CUDA and 64-bit, better speed/performance is plan for final release of 3.0? :blink: If "yes" then take your time, it doesn't have to be out in December.

@everyone else, wow great work, great bulldog!very inspiring guys(i'm gonna mess around with the new alpha next month).

Andrew, don't let all the Software Development experts get on your nerves. ;)

I am a developer too, and any plan rarely survives contact with reality! Plus you often need to develop seemingly unrelated features to get the basis you need to develop other tools. IE, you need to complete feature A1 and B1, to be able to develop feature A2.

Besides, working on what you love is the best productivity enhancer. So everyone calm down, I'm sure Andrew will add all sorts of good tools when all is said and done. Programming from joy is the best thing in the world.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,the saving works now?(it doesn't interest me currently exporting,only working more than 1 session).

In that case,it's possible to ask you a new licence for the demo?(only for testing)

I would like to try more the volumetric tool,but without saving I have little motivation,as I can work on it only in little time every day.

Bye

Another bug:

If snake or spike is active, clicking/moving any tool window causes the snake/spike to be drawn on the screen.

1) Select snake

2) Drag tool window on scree, snake is drawn on screen as window is moved.

This is the same problem that's been going on for a long time, even before volumetrics. It's been bothering me for the past year. The only difference now is that those two tools can now be drawn in free space, so the problem is worse.

• Advanced Member
Hello~

DX and GL version of the wood shader ported from AMD Rendermonkey :)

wood03794.jpg

Adjust forground/background color for wood color.

Decrease the value of frequency in the shader code if your model is too large.

p.s. you need to backup CustomSampler1.dds, or it will be overwritted.

akira.

Nice shader!

Is the CustonSampler1.dds a volumetric representation by slices? I hope that makes sense.

@Andrew

Out of curiosity, where is masking and hiding voxels on your timeline?

by "masking" i meant "freezing".

by "masking" i meant "freezing".

Yes, me too ;) , freezing like in Mudbox or Zbrush to lock parts of the mesh so they are not influenced by the brush. The hiding part of your question was already answer by Andrew a couple of pages earlier, that's why i just remark the "masking" in the question.

Pardon my ignorance in regards to shaders, that term is used so broadly across the entire spectrum of 3d game/film that I'm not sure if I'm understanding what it entirely is capable of... Is realtime AO (Ambient Occlusion) considered a "shader" of sorts? Or is this other higher-level functionality that would need to be integrated? Not that I'm asking for Andrew to whip something up, but I'm just curious as to what we're capable of seeing produced shader-wise now that the hooks are in :). Great wood shader btw Akira!

Really funny! My first test with the latest alpha for OSX. I've noticed that when i use snake tool sometimes there are voxels in the air. Andrew can you confirm this?

post-903-1222441702_thumb.jpg

-TOXE

Nice! I feel your style!

Voxels in air? Please show them. Anyway there was some bugs in curves, so i think it will be solved with next update.