3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor

2024.07, maybe before 

Hello! Or should I say: Attention! :rofl:

Import Roughness ignores UVset selection. It overriddes all UVsets with last Import.

Color, Metallic and Displace are okay. 

Edit: At least in Microvertex Mode. Hope you find it! 

Test Plane with subdivided Quads in Paint Room including 4 UV'S. To test, import Roughness and select one UV. )

Thank You!

Problem Resolved in 0.8 THX

Edited by Ctc_nick
Testfile Removed. Problem Resolved in .08
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor
14 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Fixed in 08

Heeey! I love the new Font!! :good2: it is so much better.

1. When we make bigger Scripts, with several Modules in Python, at some point the Script does not Update the Functions and Classes running in 3DCoat. So you have to restart 3dCoat at every change. Can we have a Flush/Recompile Button for that? Something that cleanes the memory of the old script?

2. Would a SET python Console to TOP, and Hide Python Console Command be possible?

All the Best and Thank You!

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:42 PM, Elemeno said:

in 2022 , a few things were said to change , the ui reworked and surface mode quads do we know if these things are still happening also is modelling room being reworked too?

Really hope to see that coming in 2024 but i think current focus is on the paint room and UI polishing? 

• Contributor

I can see it. And it works !!! 

## @brief set the layer depth opacity
    # @param LayerID the layer identifier
    # @param Opacity the depth opacity
    def setLayerDepthOpacity (LayerID = int, Opacity = float) : ...

## @brief set the layer metalness opacity
    # @param Opacity the metalness opacity
    def setLayerMetalnessOpacity (LayerID = int, Opacity = float) : ...

## @brief set the layer gloss/roughness opacity
    # @param Opacity the gloss/roughness opacity
    def setLayerGlossOpacity (LayerID = int, Opacity = float) : ...

:rofl: Thank you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Heeey! I love the new Font!! :good2: it is so much better.

1. When we make bigger Scripts, with several Modules in Python, at some point the Script does not Update the Functions and Classes running in 3DCoat. So you have to restart 3dCoat at every change. Can we have a Flush/Recompile Button for that? Something that cleanes the memory of the old script?

2. Would a SET python Console to TOP, and Hide Python Console Command be possible?

All the Best and Thank You!

Corrected this in 2024.09. Now context is fresh each time.

And since 2024.09

coat.io.showPythonConsole()

brings the console window to foreground.

• Thanks 2

• Advanced Member

@Andrew Shpagin Switching views with Num Pad works as it should, thanks. Now, there is one problem that I've mentioned earlier and I call it "sticky brush" - cursor hangs/lags for a sec with every camera change, brush size change, etc. When you mentioned to switch off Incremental Render under Geometry menu, to fix Num Pad issue, I've made a test for "sticky brush" with Icremental Render off and it seems like this issue is related to that setting. "Incremental Render" off and sticky brush issue is gone.

• Reputable Contributor

I downloaded the windows 2024.09 beta version from the website here.

Installed 3DC and it appears to have installed the Chinese version. 

I even went to the Help, now in Chinese I believe, then went down to the change language section. It is the section that has the arrow.

Counted down to number 17 which should be English, selected it but no change at all. 

English is the selected language for the installer. 

I re-installed 2024.08 beta and the problem was fixed as English is now the language. 

Anyone else having this problem. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Note: Tried the auto updater and it installs 2024.09, but there are no fonts at all, just blank where they should be.

Before doing a complete un-installing of 3DC plus removing the 3DC folder under Documents, need feedback if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.  

Lang.jpg

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

@SERGYIUbuntu linux crashes after choosing male or mannequin from the voxel start menu. Lauch coat. Choose voxel sculpting from start menu. Choose male or mannequin. Coat immediately crashes. Appears to be only these two options that crash. Been a longstanding issue. In addition when 3dcoat restarts from a crash with a autosaved file the dialog buttons (skip, load, delete) are unclickable. Nothing happens. If you restart 3d coat the dialog reappears and functions normally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, digman said:

I downloaded the windows 2024.09 beta version from the website here.

Installed 3DC and it appears to have installed the Chinese version. 

I even went to the Help, now in Chinese I believe, then went down to the change language section. It is the section that has the arrow.

Counted down to number 17 which should be English, selected it but no change at all. 

English is the selected language for the installer. 

I re-installed 2024.08 beta and the problem was fixed as English is now the language. 

Anyone else having this problem. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Note: Tried the auto updater and it installs 2024.09, but there are no fonts at all, just blank where they should be.

Before doing a complete un-installing of 3DC plus removing the 3DC folder under Documents, need feedback if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.  

Lang.jpg

I discovered that this happens if 2024.09 installed, run and then you roll back to 08 or below or run some older version. I will correct this in 10, but if this problem appears, remove the folder:

c:/Users/your_user/Documents/3DCoat/data/Unicode/

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

I discovered that this happens if 2024.09 installed, run and then you roll back to 08 or below or run some older version. I will correct this in 10, but if this problem appears, remove the folder:

c:/Users/your_user/Documents/3DCoat/data/Unicode/

Beta .09

Cant wait to try.  Unfortunately I have no Text in the UI, simliar to digman report.

I tried deleting Unicode and Userprefs\Preferences Folder.

Unicode has only one Font00.txt with the number 6389884 in it. My Language is set to English.

Rollback to 08 with \Documents\3DCoat\data\AutoUpdater.exe from Explorer or Command Line worked fine.

But weekend first!! Thank you. 

image.thumb.png.234870c74983c45e4b306d5e5d2d5eea.png

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Contributor

@Andrew ShpaginHi!

In this Video I try to show that I still have to restart to Update the Code, maybe it Is because I call the dialog p from module instead of the main program. As test I just rename the Layer. (Layerpanel) Have a look, hope you like it. FYI :good2:

update.thumb.gif.e7ca774aa6dee862e74bbaa8c0bdf65c.gif

Edited by Ctc_nick

8 minutes ago, Ctc_nick said:

@Andrew ShpaginHi!

In this Video I try to show that I still have to restart to Update the Code, maybe it Is because I call the dialog p from module instead of the main program. Have a look, hope you like it. FYI :good2:

update.thumb.gif.e7ca774aa6dee862e74bbaa8c0bdf65c.gif

Not easy to understand, please explain what is different if you restart and not restart.

• Like 1

• Contributor
10 minutes ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

Not easy to understand, please explain what is different if you restart and not restart.

1. I Change something in Code. (Layername)

2.Run the Code. The Layername stays the same, like not changed code.

3. Restart. --> Code is Updated and Layername changes

But it is all functions, so Layername is just an example for a function change.

It would be great to have somthing like a flush button for that. Not to have to restart Coat if possible.  

Edited by Ctc_nick

• Contributor

Hi I found it. And concrete Example now.

I could not leave it like that. So everything you change in Main Prog is okay-Submodule Change not. That was quite easy actually.. Examples are best.

Remember you have to change the string in the Submodule to see "no change" when run.

Anyway Nice Weekend:yes: , and all the Best!

found.png.26d3348d933d71ea6569c015e5ae91f1.png

test_main.py submodule.py test_main_both.zip

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ctc_nick said:

Hi I found it. And concrete Example now.

I could not leave it like that. So everything you change in Main Prog is okay-Submodule Change not. That was quite easy actually.. Examples are best.

Remember you have to change the string in the Submodule to see "no change" when run.

Anyway Nice Weekend:yes: , and all the Best!

found.png.26d3348d933d71ea6569c015e5ae91f1.png

test_main.py 141 B · 0 downloads submodule.py 72 B · 0 downloads test_main_both.zip 40.53 kB · 0 downloads

Add the code into the test_main.py:

import importlib
importlib.reload(submodule)

the submodules are cached, so need to reload manually.

And in 10 there is one problem with python, the local scope used, so global variables are not visible in functions. This is not good, in 11 it will be resolved, so there will be clean environment for each execution and the problem of local scope corrected. In 09 it still works as before, and trick with reload will work as well.

• Thanks 1

3dcoat used to work on manjaro linux (arch based) - but now all versions crash.  it works only with special distrobox container. 

maybe try to debug 3dcoat on a modern distribution (manjaro) too. (ubuntu LTS is 2 years old)

(or switch to gtk 3 for file dialog ? )

Edited by emrum
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Hello!

1.It is not possible to draw Metallic or Rougness only, while Depth is possible with 0 Opacity. So you have to draw over the color channel to paint metallic.

It would be better if you could draw Metallic and Roughness only.

2.You have to disable the color channel for that.  image.png.a3a9579487dde45369bfaf3cba324714.png Can You please add Python commands for disable/enable channels?

Many Greetings!

1 hour ago, Ctc_nick said:

Hello!

1.It is not possible to draw Metallic or Rougness only, while Depth is possible with 0 Opacity. So you have to draw over the color channel to paint metallic.

It would be better if you could draw Metallic and Roughness only.

2.You have to disable the color channel for that.  image.png.a3a9579487dde45369bfaf3cba324714.png Can You please add Python commands for disable/enable channels?

Many Greetings!

Now the opacity is common for metal/gloss, so I can't disable it separately.
To toggle channels ise RMB+MMB over the control. For example, for specular channel

coat.ui.cmd("$PEN_TOGGLE_SPEC_HINT")

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

To toggle channels ise RMB+MMB over the control. For example, for specular channel

I've always wanted these two to be separate. Makes no sense otherwise. I'm using Substance Painter for PBR stuff, but this is a definite vote for separate Gloss/Metallic channels!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

It is assumed to be stable. But your report is really helpful, fixed that crash you sent. The 13 will be marked as stable (green in the list).

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Andrew Shpagin  "RMB+MMB over the control" -Is that working for you?

I only get:

// cmd - based script:
cmd("ViewGizmo");
// UI - based script, need to define the variable somewhere before: UI ui;
ui("ViewGizmo");

Thats why I thought I there is no command. But with your help I found: 

HighlightUIElement("$PEN_TOGGLE_MASK_HINT",0.1);
    HighlightUIElement("$PEN_TOGGLE_DEPTH_HINT",0.1);
    HighlightUIElement("$PEN_TOGGLE_SPEC_HINT",0.1);

for Angelscript. :good:

My Problem with the Metallic is that I very often accidentally Paint over the Color Channel when I actually want to paint only Metallic/Gloss. 

Like when you deactivate color and paint 100%Opacity for Metallic. So the setting is there. Its just the way how to set is little confusing.

Edited by Ctc_nick

I can only echo that painting metallic ONLY would be super useful I couldn't figure out how to do it, and then realized it's tied to gloss/roughness, when infact that doesn't help making materials metallic intuitively after a painting session. You are forced to make choices beforehand about metallness or not metallness now. 

• Like 1