3DCoat Forums

Modeling Room - Next Steps

37 minutes ago, thinkinmonkey said:

Both are valid points!

Dear friends, Happy New Year!
You need to be able to use different modeling technologies.
-Low Poly
-Sculpting
-Free Surface
-Parametric solid
Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

unfortunately the modelling room still doesnt work very well ...

the selection of vertices ,edges,faces etc should impact the gizmo ... so maybe selection could be right mouse button? ... and gizmo can only be lmb

i love learning new software's but the modelling room tools and functionality is so confusing .. i learned houdini faster and ive been using 3dcoat for many years now

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

The position and orientation of the Gizmo's axes depend on your selections.
Please watch the new video.
video https://youtu.be/ZbXuB8_PTxk

if you select a face and that face happens to be behind the gizmo it doesnt select it due to the software thinking i want to use the gizmo ,

a quick fix for this would be RMB for select and the maybe space for mesh menu

• Reputable Contributor
22 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

if you select a face and that face happens to be behind the gizmo it doesnt select it due to the software thinking i want to use the gizmo ,

a quick fix for this would be RMB for select and the maybe space for mesh menu

That would mess up the RMB Menu workflow not only in the Modeling/Retopo room, but be inconsistent with the RMB for a list menu in the Sculpt workspace. Hitting ESC clears just the gizmo. Hitting it a second time clears the selection. I personally have no problem just hitting the ESC key when I want to make a different selection > hotkey to re-activate the tool. However, a better solution might be to just enable a default hotkey to hide/unhide Transform Gizmos, throughout 3DCoat, because this would help with the Pose tool (Sculpt Room) also.

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

The position and orientation of the Gizmo's axes depend on your selections.
Please watch the new video.
video

Alexander, can you please add a parameter to the Tool Options panel for the EDGE FLOW tool, so users can make adjustments to the degree of the (new) curvature? It's a really nice feature, but the equivalent tool in 3ds Max...SET FLOW, has a slider in the tool options to adjust how much of that effect is applied. Sometimes the default value may be a bit too much.

Set Flow in Blender (pretty much the same feature as in 3ds Max)

• Advanced Member

its hard , im used to a very primitive way of poly modelling and doing anything inside 3dcoat modelling just seems extremely long, i honestly feel like this room could be completely reworked to have it close to maya and 3dsmax but if we could closer to blender would be perfect 

i know i could just use blender but im tired of moving back and fourth between the two 

• Reputable Contributor
2 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

You can use a hotkey Ctrl+D  to hide the selection. Gizmo is also hiding.

CTRL + D clears the selection completely, rather than just hide it (temporarily). Which brings up another important need in the Modeling/Retopo workspace...RESELECT. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort to make a selection and an artist will want to reselect it quickly if they accidentally deselected...or perhaps they deselected on purpose, and then realized they need to get it back for one reason or another. Currently, it can be a big pain in the buttocks, if a user needs to reselect in 3DCoat.

Also, users can store a selection in 3DCoat, but it is not very convenient to use, because it is stored in a file on the hard drive, rather than in a List Menu. We should be able to store selections and quickly recall them in a list menu, located in the Toolbar.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

thinkinmonkey was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

1 hour ago, Elemeno said:

also a bug with the gizmo constraint anything beyond 0-100 destroys mesh

I was checking and it happens the mesh is broken when undoing all the transformations: sometimes I have back the sphere as it was in the beginning, sometimes vertices goes to infinite, other times the vertices have strange positions when going back to initial state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
Just now, Elemeno said:

awwww ... something like plasticity?

that actually would really help , polygons are slowly being forced out and things like plasticity and voxels are coming through so this would really help

1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

Any chance to add real CAD tool ?

We have a plan to release a new room in 2024.
We are carefully studying the interesting experience of the Plasticity program.
We need to make a good integration of different modeling technologies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
36 minutes ago, Gorbatovsky said:

We have a plan to release a new room in 2024.
We are carefully studying the interesting experience of the Plasticity program.
We need to make a good integration of different modeling technologies.

Please, have some artists with great experience in 3DCoat as alpha tester and for feedback before publishing the new room.
Plus checking with some previous posts here and there would be a nice benefit too ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I hope you all had a nice start of year. :) I have been absent of 3D modelling and the forums for some time and recently I have come back to it with 3DC. I am noticing the changes and where the discourse is. I want to ask, does anybody know if parametric modelling is planned for in 3DC? Say like modifier stack in 3DsMax/Blender. Thanks and it feels good to be back. :)

Oh, nice to know! However, I was wondering if modifiers are being considered as an addition to the Modelling room, for beveling, smoothing etc. I mostly intend to use 3DC for assets for real time rendering so I focus of polygonal models. Perhaps this parametric solids can later be converted to meshes?

• Advanced Member
On 2024/1/12 at AM3点09分, Gorbatovsky said:

我们计划在2024年腾出一个新房间。
我们正在仔细研究 可塑性 程序。
我们需要对不同的建模技术进行很好的集成。

一个低模,导入coat,加细,保持uv,雕刻,这是干掉zbrush的第一步,也是重要一步
A low mold, importing the coat, refining, maintaining UV, carving, this is the first and important step in eliminating Zbrush

14 hours ago, Gorbatovsky said:

This was done by another developer.
What are the questions

I've been looking at the Curves menu, Curves Stroke/Q popup, and the Modeling room tools panel tools, and the method for converting an edge selection to a curve is not jumping out at me.

Edited by tiburbage