3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

• Contributor

...Just like I've tried MULTIPLE TIMES in the past 2yrs to get SCULPT LAYERS implemented in the Sculpt Room. It's one of the most voted on requests and yet it keeps getting pushed to the back of the line, in favor of a ton of tiny, easy to implement newer features....just because they are low hanging fruit.

Yes, please implement this. It's super important!!!

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

PBR got implemented not because it was a crazy-good idea, that could dramatically change the scope of texture-painting in 3D Coat. It got the time, effort and attention because Substance Painter and dDo (Quixel Suite) already had it and thus it gravely threatened 3D Coat's position in the market as a texture painting application.

I'm glad for the PBR tools and all, but if 3D Coat is ever going to be taken seriously as a production-level sculpting application, it NEEDS Sculpt Layers. Both ZBrush and Mudbox have had this core functionality for years, and that's why most artists who come from those apps, go back to using those apps, rather than 3D Coat.

• Like 1

Everyone thats been around here for a while knows that Mantis is where ideas go to die. The only way to have even a shred of hope at getting what you want implemented is to nag about it at every possible opportunity on the forums, and hope that the devs will finally listen.

I'm still waiting on layer masks (remember this thread? : http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16297 )

• Like 1

• Contributor

Yup, I remember. PS layer masks were supposed to come next, right after radial symmetry. I didn't realize it was a year ago. :blink:

Maybe after refactoring things will gain more momentum because the code will be more extensible.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Yup, I remember. PS layer masks were supposed to come next, right after radial symmetry. I didn't realize it was a year ago. :blink:

Maybe after refactoring things will gain more momentum because the code will be more extensible.

Layer masks, to me personally, isn't a high priority because you ALREADY have that functionality. It isn't as nice as having it directly on the layer, in PS, but part of the appeal of it not being on the individual layer, is that one mask can be used for multiple layers. My vote is on something that will have a greater impact for all users.....Sculpt Layers. I can see why Mudbox and ZB sculpters don't give 3D Coat much of a chance.....it's like a 3D Coat with one sleeve missing! :D

• Like 1

Whether you personally want it or not, the fact is we were promised a feature that many wanted and a year+ later it still is yet to materialize. If the 3DC staff can't even follow through on features they claim they will give us, what hope is there for features they haven't made a verbal commitment to?

Edited by PolyHertz

• Contributor

3dc needs in my humble opinion

1) low poly modelling  

1b) sculpt layers

2) Faster auto retopo 

3) Ids and material history  to get a material setup to another model (Just like SP) , believe me guys , all of you are  going to need this feature if you work pro with 3DC.

4) More out of the box ready and working pbr materials

• Reputable Contributor

Whether you personally want it or not, the fact is we were promised a feature that many wanted and a year+ later it still is yet to materialize. If the 3DC staff can't even follow through on features they claim they will give us, what hope is there for features they haven't made a verbal commitment to?

A lot of the same people didn't even know 3D Coat already had/has nice masking functionality. It's not a missing feature. It's just refinement of what is already there. I'm not against it, but Andrew said at the same time he was aware that Sculpt Layers was a high priority. Everybody has their own favorite feature(s) they are waiting on, so don't take it so personal if others don't place the same value on your own favorite.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I prefer Masking as is right now , just a personal preference.

But i also understand that exactly the way i need to apply the same material i created from layers and pbr / smart materials to another 3d model like SP and Quixel , other users need layer masking just like in photoshop etc etc .

We all have right here , point is how to get those features in 3d coat.

So far i am very pleased by 3d coat and its developers and of course the 3d coat users from this forum.

On the other hand , Yes i admit , i must break my 3d coat workflow and use other software's to get what i want due to missing features, it causes me issues and recently i lost 2 projects due to missing features.

No complains as 3dc developers offered to help me , unfortunately my needs needed a months work so i had to skip this , and deal with my losses. 

Anyway , again no complains , and i really hope that a solution can be found so we get what we need , a paid upgrade? More paid upgrades than usual?

There must be a way for all of us to get what we need in time.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

...also, if you think about it, in PS, the mask is effectively another layer...just like it is in 3D Coat. The exception is that PS places a thumbnail on the layer, and the mask appears to the user to be part of the same layer...but under the hood, it's not. That's why you see the little CHAIN LINK icon between the layer thumbnail and the mask thumbnail. You can quickly link and unlink them.

If Andrew is going to redo the layer masking, I think he needs to rework the layers altogether, so you can see thumbnails for each layer, just like in PS, and have the ability to expand each layer to reveal the channels as sublayers (with thumbnails for each channel). I would also like to see the little (channel) dots on each layer, so the user can see what layers have pixel data on them. So, if you see just a color dot, you know that layer has only color information on it and nothing else.

Having said all that, almost a year has been spent in the Paint Room on PBR, so my personal vote would be to go back to the Sculpt Room and implement a very well-thought out Sculpt Layer system. It's the last major hurdle for 3D Coat to reach production-level sculpting that truly rivals ZBrush and Mudbox. Even Mudbox and C4D has Sculpt Layers, now.

• Like 1

abnranger: The issue isn't whether the current masking system is "good enough" in 3DC, its a matter of interoperability with other programs.

If Andrew is going to redo the layer masking, I think he needs to rework the layers altogether, so you can see thumbnails for each layer, just like in PS, and have the ability to expand each layer to reveal the channels as sublayers (with thumbnails for each channel). I would also like to see the little (channel) dots on each layer, so the user can see what layers have pixel data on them. So, if you see just a color dot, you know that layer has only color information on it and nothing else.

Completely agree.

Edited by PolyHertz

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

This is the Farsthary update channel thread

If any1 need to share opinions about 3DC development, please open a new thread and respect this one,

ty

This discussion arose from feature requests Raul may or may not address in his work in the Retopo Room. I mentioned that I had been requesting a certain handful of them for over 2yrs now. Chris chimed in with a ;) about new requests needing to take a bake seat to much older ones that have been ignored all this time. So, there you have it. A new rabbit trail. :D

Hi guys :)

Easy  :D  I'm having some issues in real life here but hopefully I will sort them out on my own, the good news is that i'm taking notes of community interest and I will try to do as much as I can, but one step at a time (don't want later an angry community for not polishing existing tools ;)  remember this same community asked for a slow down in pace of new features added so I put some brakes)

But there's plenty of good stuff to come!

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hi guys :)

Easy  :D  I'm having some issues in real life here but hopefully I will sort them out on my own, the good news is that i'm taking notes of community interest and I will try to do as much as I can, but one step at a time (don't want later an angry community for not polishing existing tools ;)  remember this same community asked for a slow down in pace of new features added so I put some brakes)

But there's plenty of good stuff to come!

Looks rather promising. The issue with the pace is to not just drop something and move on, or drop something that was rushed and not well thought threw....ie, "How would I use this if I were working on a project with a tight deadline? What else would I need to make this thing as efficient and full-featured as it can be? Is all the tool options consistent with other tools like it (such as tools that use the Transform Gizmo)?"

Hope your personal situation works out well. Having a little bit of that, myself. Got to go to the VA hospital today, for a Brain scan (MRI).

• Like 1

• Contributor

Hey guys please watch your help both of you.

Raul any problem has a solution , if there is anything we can do to help just blow the damn whistle.

Ranger good luck with your results my friend.

I apologise for the "spam" but i am extremely sensitive to health matters.

• Contributor

Thanks for your work so far Farsthary! It looks like it should be useful additions to 3D-Coat!

I sincerely hope that your personal problems will be resolved soon! And AbnRanger I hope you will be alright too!

Best of luck to you both!

• Contributor

Great! Thanks Farsthary! It looks like some of the polygons were not extruded on some of the edges (the interior edges at the end of the video for example). Maybe it only looks that way in the video but the faces are really there?

Anyways great work so far! Thanks again!

• Like 1