3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

In any case my hats to your for this release, I will look out for bugs but so far you're starting to get that special "tight" feeling you get from competitor products which you didn't quite have before.

Brushes are much more precise and predictable, I don't spend all my time trying to define edges because the tesselation makes a mess of hard edges.

Nice.

I just hope I don't get one of those show stopper bugs now, that's all I ask :)

Never mind. :mad:

Just because I don't want to be ungrateful one:

I like:

You fixed the tool scroll, removing the epanel/display options on top, from the scrolling.

You fixed the lasso selection from interacting with the pose tool.

• Advanced Member

Snake hook brush really is much better... it would be nice if it reduced in size based on pen pressure instead of by length. That is, it seems to scale to a point without any way to control the speed that it scales down.

It's very impressive how the snake can be drawn through another surface, creating it's own tunnel.

Also, it seems like the brush falloff isn't really working with the liveclay brushes.

• Contributor

Snake hook brush really is much better... it would be nice if it reduced in size based on pen pressure instead of by length. That is, it seems to scale to a point without any way to control the speed that it scales down.

It's very impressive how the snake can be drawn through another surface, creating it's own tunnel.

Also, it seems like the brush falloff isn't really working with the liveclay brushes.

here snake brush takes 15% of cpu ressources and simply freeze the app. Again experiences are definitely of all kind...

I guess I'll have to leave the board for a while, this give me bad mood.

• Reputable Contributor

Now the below is a joke...

Sometime you should release the Linux and Max version first and make the windows users wait for 3 to 4 days while we run around in the 3DCoat playground on the new shiny equipment... :dash2:

here snake brush takes 15% of cpu resources and simply freeze the app.

While I work over this try stroking slower with snake clay, is an issue related with the stroking system and SnakeClay only makes more evident, so I will bulletproof that code.

Meanwhile avoid too high detail density and too high stroking speed in that tool, also try increasing smoothing, it helps topology and avoid hangs.

Thanks for your feedback

Also... is there any way to turn off color in voxel mode?

at paint room the voxel have a layer0, its default dont delete it.. just let it there

add a layer1, paint

when you back to voxel room -now at surface mode- and dont need to see the colors... back to paint room and hide the layer1 -pressing the eye-

• Contributor

Im really busy right now but here is quick report.

-Speed and general performance: Fantastic! :)

-Tangent smooth does not work when assigned to shift or ctrl-shift.

-I had one crash after resampling and using LC (I sent report)

otherwise I had no crahes so far,but I tested only for 5minutes.

-Detail level does not work in Paint hole tool and Pin holes tool.

-Pin holes only work first time ,if you undo and try again it only do an extrude

(Andrew pleasssse get that e-panel extrude out of the unrelated tools...its gonna be highly misleading to new users and its clogging the upper Ui with useless extrude direction roll out,there is already a mantis issue about this )

a little note:REconstruct should replace Close holes tools...its much better,more predictable and it has detail control.

-it seems smoothing parameter in LC tools(in tool options) affect too large area...if you do strokes close to eachothers the closest previous strokes will get erased by the smoothing....I need to set a very low value like 0.05 to protect nearby strokes.

Now a MAJOR ISSUE: Smoothing (in upper main Ui ) is now locked to 100%(even in paint room) if I change it with keyboard it stillget back to 100%.

It wasn't like that when I opened 3dCoat...something made that happens and I don'tknow what it is.

Performance are very,very good...it really shows that you worked hard on this.And its a very important aspect of working with LC.

As for the other bugs and the few more we are gonna find this week...Im not worried.You will get those down.

Don't get discouraged guys!! :)

• Reputable Contributor

When you install windows version 4.00 beta 6 32 bit when loading 3DCoat it says version 4.00.beta 4 in the top interface. non-tiling mode is not there either in the materials panel...

EDIT: I found the problem, 3DCoat did not remember the path to my install folder but installed to the default drive location... I am so use to 3DCoat remembering my install location, I did not notice the change at first....

Hi :)

-Pin holes only work first time ,if you undo and try again it only do an extrude

Oh yes, my bad, it got buried in my Todo list to fix with recent requests to fix, but it was a well known issue for me :P

I'm glad you bring it back to light :)

yes, don't get discouraged about bugs, on the contrary, the more you find, the more we will solve, because a bug discovered and "reproducible" is 60% of the solution!

A bug discovered but not reproducible is around 20% of the solution instead :P

• Reputable Contributor

Also... is there any way to turn off color in voxel mode? Right now I'm filling a layer with white in the paint room, it's not ideal :D

When you switch to the paintroom and add a color to a layer you are switched to surface mode and am no longer in voxel mode. The question I not quite understanding as we have different shaders to help us see when we sculpt... Can you explain a little more...

Edit: Confirmed, smoothing locked at 100%

• Advanced Member

Now the below is a joke...

Sometime you should release the Linux and Max version first and make the windows users wait for 3 to 4 days while we run around in the 3DCoat playground on the new shiny equipment... :dash2:

Oh what a great idea ,I think that would be the end of the road for 3DCoat (for me anyway)

Now a MAJOR ISSUE: Smoothing (in upper main Ui ) is now locked to 100%(even in paint room) if I change it with keyboard it stillget back to 100%.

It wasn't like that when I opened 3dCoat...something made that happens and I don'tknow what it is.

Ohhh... That happens always when trying to do something really good. Tried to fix issue that BetaKitano mentioned today but made typo... Need reupload again...

• Advanced Member

When you switch to the paintroom and add a color to a layer you are switched to surface mode and am no longer in voxel mode. The question I not quite understanding as we have different shaders to help us see when we sculpt... Can you explain a little more...

Edit: Confirmed, smoothing locked at 100%

You can paint over voxels in the paint room, but sometimes this vertex coloring needs to be hidden when switching back to voxel room. Currently the only way to do this is in the paint room (hiding layers, used a solid filled layer etc)

while the View -> relief only / flat shade / specular only modes don't work.

I realise the color on voxel surface is a new feature, I'm just pointing out areas that still need filling out.

Problem with the Sketchfab upload. I tried it with a model in the paint room. It opened the white web page where I filled in my API key, title, and description, then the next page has what I think should be a screenshot but instead it says "Sketchfab 404 page not found" with their logo and a teapot model. I see the model is not on my Sketchfab page.

Edit: OK I tried it again and it worked, but it's very dark and the specular is all very high as if it's all at 100% and the description didn't get added tot he Sketchfab post (though it is in the 3DC version below).

http://bit.ly/WKI2Sc

• Reputable Contributor

You can paint over voxels in the paint room, but sometimes this vertex coloring needs to be hidden when switching back to voxel room. Currently the only way to do this is in the paint room (hiding layers, used a solid filled layer etc)

while the View -> relief only / flat shade / specular only modes don't work.

I realise the color on voxel surface is a new feature, I'm just pointing out areas that still need filling out.

Thanks for the extra explaining... Surface mode is true polygons and not voxels, so when you are vertex painting in the paint room you are painting over polygons and not voxels. Never add any color to layer "0" as your shader resides on layer "0",always create a layer above it. Then you can hide that layer or layers and your shader we been shown again.

I also see you want an added feature that will turn off all surface mode vetex painted layers at one time when swtiching back to voxel room. Yeah, right now I have to hide the layers one by one...

Problem with the Sketchfab upload. I tried it with a model in the paint room. It opened the white web page where I filled in my API key, title, and description, then the next page has what I think should be a screenshot but instead it says "Sketchfab 404 page not found" with their logo and a teapot model. I see the model is not on my Sketchfab page.

Edit: OK I tried it again and it worked, but the specular is all very high as if it's all at 100%

http://bit.ly/WKI2Sc

It happens if Api key entered incorrectly. Probably you doubleclicked and pacted. Try to select accurately, copy and paste it.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the extra explaining... Surface mode is true polygons and not voxels, so when you are vertex painting in the paint room you are painting over polygons and not voxels. Never add any color to layer "0" as your shader resides on layer "0",always create a layer above it. Then you can hide that layer or layers and your shader we been shown again.

I also see you want an added feature that will turn off all surface mode vetex painted layers at one time when swtiching back to voxel room. Yeah, right now I have to hide the layers one by one...

It'd be great if the options under the View menu would work in voxel room as well as paint.