3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I dont know if this is a bug or feature. When I am using the curves tool and I try to adjust the rotation using the add rotation slider it rotates the model out of control. Way to fast to be able to use. Several version back it did not act this way.

I like the RMB way of changing the brush size/depth(love that it's also works on smooth when you hold down shift)

Now it would work with zoom with the scroll wheel, this could of course be a user option. I feel when working with the mouse that it's really nice if you can zoom with the scroll wheel and change the size/ depth with the RMB. One thin I like wiht Zbrush is that you can rotate the model with right mouse button if you are outside the model with the pointer, I don't know how, but it would be nice with a similar feature in 3DC, so you don't need to use the alt key everytime you want to navigate around your model.

It could be something like this.

LMB= Sculpt

MMB= rotate model

scrollwheel= zoom in/out

RMB= brush size/depth

heh, just testing 33, and brushing large volume gets to around 75% of processor power (multicore) previous was 50%, ... seems your working hard over the performance and it shows, its getting amazingly fast, crazy stuff and nice work!

• Advanced Member

was working with alpha32 today and ran into some 'exploding'...seemed to happen after a long period of time (happened

twice after about 1.5hrs) working in 3dC and it also temporarily locked up my system. No crash, tho, and since I had autosave

on I just went back to that version, but it seems to be a memory leak? I also got tearing when using voxel 'move' then re-working

the sculpt with smooth...

post-475-1224721549_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

The image wailingmonkey posted,with holes,is what happens to me after some time(more or less one hour)working,It's the bug I have pointed out previously,and it doesn't crash,but I have to exit(the newest version also have this problem).

Another thing I have found is that at beginning,when working,all is very fast,no lag,no much slow down.

After some time you work on a mesh,with same resolution,performance slow down a bit(it starts to appear some lag after brush stroke)

BTW-any chance of a pre-order? I wouldn't mind buying the Alpha now with rights to the final 3.0 version when it comes out. It would be nice to have all the 3.0 features unlocked, even though everything isn't quite finished yet.

Take my money-PLEASE!!! laugh.gif

Cheers

Doug

BTW-any chance of a pre-order? I wouldn't mind buying the Alpha now with rights to the final 3.0 version when it comes out. It would be nice to have all the 3.0 features unlocked, even though everything isn't quite finished yet.

Take my money-PLEASE!!! laugh.gif

Cheers

Doug

Most easy way - buy current version at www.3d-coat.com and then upgrade it to 3.0 when it will out. All functons will be unlocked after entering S/N for 2.0.

was working with alpha32 today and ran into some 'exploding'...seemed to happen after a long period of time (happened

twice after about 1.5hrs) working in 3dC and it also temporarily locked up my system. No crash, tho, and since I had autosave

on I just went back to that version, but it seems to be a memory leak? I also got tearing when using voxel 'move' then re-working

the sculpt with smooth...

Have you used only voxel tools? Have you used any surface tool?

ALPHA 33, Win:

1. To skale the brush radius with the RMB ist perfect! I'am using a tablet and I can concentrate much more on my work, now!

2. The cavity bug in combination with shadows is still there. (GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB)

Very nice update!

Be creative

Chris

I like the RMB idea and it works great with a mouse, for some reason it is constrained to left/right or up/down. With a tablet it doesn't feel constrained at all and I have a hard time changing size without changing strength or vice-versa. Maybe it just takes practice.

• Advanced Member
Have you used only voxel tools? Have you used any surface tool?

Only used 'build' (and smooth), some 'fill', and very little 'move' (voxel)...but none

of the surface tools were used. I upped the resolution 1 time after the forms were

mainly laid down...perhaps that had some effect?

Only used 'build' (and smooth), some 'fill', and very little 'move' (voxel)...but none

of the surface tools were used. I upped the resolution 1 time after the forms were

mainly laid down...perhaps that had some effect?

Do you remember exact tool that resulted dirt pieces?

Also, was you able to undo dirty pieces and paint there again? (or at least undo)

I like the RMB idea and it works great with a mouse, for some reason it is constrained to left/right or up/down. With a tablet it doesn't feel constrained at all and I have a hard time changing size without changing strength or vice-versa. Maybe it just takes practice.

I have made that it is constrained

• Advanced Member
Do you remember exact tool that resulted dirt pieces?

Also, was you able to undo dirty pieces and paint there again? (or at least undo)

Using 'smooth' with 'build selected. I was unable to undo...had to shut 3DC down both

times it happened. But again, this seemed to be directly related to 1+ hours of working

(with my old laptop's Nvidia 7800Go video card)

Using 'smooth' with 'build selected. I was unable to undo...had to shut 3DC down both

times it happened. But again, this seemed to be directly related to 1+ hours of working

(with my old laptop's Nvidia 7800Go video card)

What happened when you tried to undo? Even worse holes? Of suspending? Or nothing happened?

• Advanced Member
What happened when you tried to undo? Even worse holes? Of suspending? Or nothing happened?

I can reproduce a similar effect, hope it helps:

1. start voxel mode

2. choose clay tool

3. set depth to 0.5~1

4. hold down LMB to paint on the mesh

5. keep painting and at the same time repeatedly press ctrl key like firing weapons in a shooting game

6. some cracks will appear

akira.

I like the RMB way of changing the brush size/depth(love that it's also works on smooth when you hold down shift)

Now it would work with zoom with the scroll wheel, this could of course be a user option. I feel when working with the mouse that it's really nice if you can zoom with the scroll wheel and change the size/ depth with the RMB. One thin I like wiht Zbrush is that you can rotate the model with right mouse button if you are outside the model with the pointer, I don't know how, but it would be nice with a similar feature in 3DC, so you don't need to use the alt key everytime you want to navigate around your model.

It could be something like this.

LMB= Sculpt

MMB= rotate model

scrollwheel= zoom in/out

RMB= brush size/depth

I believe it is setup this way to mimic Maya/Mudbox controls? Granted, 3D Coat has been this way prior to volumetric sculpting, but that's how it seems to me... Personally I prefer the alt+click method of navigation, as a daily Maya user it is nice to be able to jump right into 3DCoat and not have to 'rethink' my navigation scheme, so I hope it stays this way.... You certainly do have valid points though!

• Advanced Member
Updated to V33

Changes:

1) Slice tool works in retopo with voxel models even on HUGE models ( Jokermax - for you:) ).

2) Use RMB to change depth/radius.

3) Faster incremental render, compatibility with older video cards.

4) Updated text in hints

Also I have a petition to for OSX users. Please, can you check if all is OK with next release update for OSX (2.10.15.02)

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-15-02.dmg

Thank you!

I checked out the mac 2.10.15.2 version last night and it seemed to be very solid with no problems that I found

I believe it is setup this way to mimic Maya/Mudbox controls? Granted, 3D Coat has been this way prior to volumetric sculpting, but that's how it seems to me... Personally I prefer the alt+click method of navigation, as a daily Maya user it is nice to be able to jump right into 3DCoat and not have to 'rethink' my navigation scheme, so I hope it stays this way.... You certainly do have valid points though!

Personally I'm glad I don't have to use my MMB. I love my MX Revolution mouse, but the software Logitech provides is awful and it keeps forgetting my settings and going back to the defaults. For some reason the default MMB command is to switch the wheel from flywheel mode to "click to click" mode.

Retopo : when we use "Add points and faces" and I want to move a point, I use the RMB and move the mouse. So the point is moving but the size of the brush is also changing and we can see the circle pn the screen that shows this size. It's not a big deal but it can be disturbing

Yeah, I know it's like maya and as you said you work in maya all day and like this setup. I work in Pro/Enigineer all day and zoom with scrollwheel and rotate with middle mouse button so I like that setup, but alt works. it's the same as Hypershot. I just like to be able to do most navigation and sculpting without touching the keyboard too much, I'm lazy. :D

Updated to V34.

Changes:

1) Faster work on huge objects

2) Support of all pen options: spacing, jitters for all tools - carve, airbrush, grow...

3) Support of material/mask for airbrush and extrude

4) Better/faster work of curves/spikes/snake

5) Experimental: cubic interpolation in sphere tool (I have made many experiments, not all was successful)

6) Mush more smooth brushing with airbrush/grow/build

7) Constraints for depth/radius change using RMB

8) as always bugfixing and optimisation

• Advanced Member
Updated to V34.

Changes:

1) Faster work on huge objects

2) Support of all pen options: spacing, jitters for all tools - carve, airbrush, grow...

3) Support of material/mask for airbrush and extrude

4) Better/faster work of curves/spikes/snake

5) Experimental: cubic interpolation in sphere tool (I have made many experiments, not all was successful)

6) Mush more smooth brushing with airbrush/grow/build

7) Constraints for depth/radius change using RMB

8) as always bugfixing and optimisation

Thanks,I'm really happy seeing how fast(and with hight quality)you work.

The more I work with volumetric sculpt,the more I like it

• Advanced Member

Thankyou for the update.

Few things i noticed:

Carve doesnt seem to work at all?!

2D-Paint doesnt seem to work either?

Am i the only one that carve is broken for? It doesnt add nor subtract. It simply has no effect whatsoever. This is an important tool. Please create a hotfix or something so i can enjoy v34 properly. :lol: People probably feel the same for 2D-Paint.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
Carve doesnt seem to work at all?!

2D-Paint doesnt seem to work either?

Yes, these are broken for me too. For carve I'm using a mixture of clay and scrape/extrude to tide me on :blink:

Also a small request - can you add a "Are you sure?" message for Inc Resolution - just lost a little bit of work rolling back to an incremental save after using this and then getting low performance (1M good, 4M slow-ish).

• Advanced Member
Yes, these are broken for me too. For carve I'm using a mixture of clay and scrape/extrude to tide me on :blink:

Me too. I love extrude though, it just gets a bit slow when i use a bigger brush. So i love carve for the rough stuff. Once you get to the finer shapes carve starts acting up (hopefully Andrew is still working on improving it) and i switch over to extrude. Hardly use clay at all since its really a hacked together brush.

Glad you confirmed the bug. For a moment i was afraid i was alone and it was on my side. Expected to see alot more people being startled by having no working carve in v34 but.. Probably has something to do with it being a friday evening. ;)

3dioot